Author Topic: Went for a walk today and ended up with two!  (Read 2024 times)

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
Went for a walk today and ended up with two!
« on: 19:04:36, 31/12/08 »
Inspired by Dave wood's pictures and a good forecast for Wales, I nipped down to Snowdonia. It was foggy as hell in Cheshire but clear as a bell in Wales. I really fancied the Snowdon horseshoe again, but couldn't get the car parked!

So plan B it was then - I drove down the road to the PYG hotel and turned down the Nantgwynant pass. There are a couple of good viewpoints where you can see all of the Snowdon horeshoe in all its glory - Grib Goch looks very intimidating from this spot. I drove on to a small car park at Nantmor and had a little ramble around Cwm Bycham, up a small hill and then down to Beddgelert and along the small gorgeous gorge of Aberglaslyn. A lovely stroll and very easy on the eye.

Then I drove back up the road to the Pen-Y-Pass car park and queued again. Eventually at 2pm I got a car parking space and a cup of tea and set off up the miners track. I figured I had 2 hours of light so didn't even think about going to the top, just as far as I could in 1hr before turning back, as my track record of walking in the dark isn't very good :roll: I managed to get as far up as the junction of the miners track and the PYG route and returned via the PYG to arrive back in good time.

A day of two halves, but a good day with some half decent pictures - a great end to the year.

The Snowdon horsehoe from the A498

Llyn Gwynant with Moel Hebog in the distance

looking across to the Cnicht and Moelwyn Mawr from Cwm Bychan

Some old winch gear from the copper mines

looking across to Snowdon

Beddgelert below, Moel Hebog beyond

the Aberglaslyn gorge - a short stretch of riverside walking

Snowdon reflected in the still waters of Llyn Llydaw

a cold looking Y Lliwedd

I love this shot - turn the computer on it's side - then it looks weirdly like an alien, or an ant - yes I have been drinking

Glaslyn below Snowdon - frozen, and people were sliding on it - hmmm

the view from the PYG track with Moel Siabod basking in the evening sun.
« Last Edit: 11:26:35, 01/01/09 by ramblingpete »

Arenig

• Veteran Member
Re: Went for a walk today and ended up with two!
« Reply #1 on: 06:51:14, 17/01/09 »
Excellent pic's there ramblingpete. Love the one of Moel Hebog, viewed across the still Llyn Gwynant.
"YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE"

W.A.S.H.I.S. completer www.walkeryri.org.uk

Welsh Nuttalls completer www.nuttalls.com/mountains/wales

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:11:19, 17/01/09 »
Thanks Arenig - you're a lucky man living so close to so much beauty - you must be spoilt for choice. Snowdonia or the Lake District are about equidistant to me, so I always go for the better weather.

I've still got plenty of Moels to go at.

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:42:20, 18/01/09 »
Cracking photo's Pete,I'm so jealous!I've seen that route around Bedgellert before by the old copper mines and am going to check that out, it looks lovely

Claire

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:04:29, 18/01/09 »
Thanks Dizzy - it was a cracking little route and only took just over 2 hours - very easy going. I'll try and post a map of it here.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
My last walk of 2008. The walk report for this walk is now on my new blog (which is a work in progress). When you have clicked onto the blog, allow it to load up the pictures as it has a few slideshows at the bottom of the blog. You can click on any of the images for a larger version. I hope you enjoy - something to read if you're snowed in! :)

http://ramblingpetesdiary.blogspot.com/

To see the route in a bigger scale - click on the map, then use the back arrow to return to the story.
« Last Edit: 08:43:27, 03/02/09 by ramblingpete »

Cat

« Reply #6 on: 10:03:01, 04/02/09 »
Lovely little route, might be nice for my partner's daughter who's 10 and just getting the walking bug, because I think the blizzard on the summit of Pen-y-Fan the other day may have put her of exposed peaks for a while.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:00:16, 04/02/09 »
I'm sure she would enjoy, especially down by the river. One word of caution is that it is very steep when you drop down into Beddgelert. Ok normally, but in this icy weather you'd have to take extra care, especially as it is a north facing slope. But it is a very nice stroll around :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy