Author Topic: Cleveland Way suitable for beginners?  (Read 3437 times)

piengravy

Cleveland Way suitable for beginners?
« on: 12:35:21, 07/01/09 »
Hi!

Just wondering if anyone could advise whether a beginner should be able to find his way around the Cleveland Way. I'm considering doing the walk for charity, and have bought the book but am new to this sort of thing

I've been to a few of the spots it passes through, and it seems well marked, but has anyone with actual experience of walking it got any advice for a beginner?

Thanks in advance for any help

ogy

Re: Cleveland Way suitable for beginners?
« Reply #1 on: 12:42:23, 07/01/09 »
It is fantastically signposted mate, you just have to keep on the ball to notice them all.
I have all the gps co-ords if you want them.

Have you any experience of map reading, it's always better to have the security of having a map and compass just in case

How many days are you planning on doing it over??
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

baboon

« Reply #2 on: 13:30:40, 07/01/09 »
  This was my first long distance path and what a fantastic experience it was.

Regards the navigation, it's an ideal LDP (long distance path) to learn or brush up on nav skills.  To say you can't fall off may be a bit misleading....but you'd find it difficult to.

Take your time on it and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

To me one of the fun parts of doing a LDP is in the planning and research.

If you have any specific questions just post them on here and I'm sure they'll be answered or at least some direction given.

piengravy

« Reply #3 on: 14:31:57, 07/01/09 »
Thanks very much for the replies baboon and ogy.

I've got the National Trail Guide, which divides it to 9 stages (days), and seems to have really good directions and maps. From your comments, sounds like I shouldn't go too far wrong, but my mapreading and compass skills are more than a bit rusty, and I may be on my own for some of the stages - sounds like you're both suggesting I do a bit on these before I go....

A friend mentioned GPS systems - any thoughts as to whether they're useful, necessary and how much they'd be?

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:51:36, 07/01/09 »
You wont need a GPS, it as easy as following a motorway. Very well signposted although there was a slight detour at the end of the walk last year, but details of these can be found on the national trail website.

baboon

« Reply #5 on: 07:46:55, 08/01/09 »
Piengravy

The National Trail Guide is what I used.  I didn't take any other nav aids, save a compass. 

9 days is a nice steady pace and gives you plenty of scope to detour and enjoy the facilities at the end of the walk.  I personally did it in 5 days but when we (2 of us) set off we had no agenda or advance bookings so we just set off and did whatever mileage we fancied.  We also had the advantage of having 2 weeks leave and a flexable pick up at the end of it.

piengravy

« Reply #6 on: 10:35:34, 09/01/09 »
Thanks to everyone for the very helpful feedback - lets hope I can get round it now!

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:16:35, 09/01/09 »
As others have said, it's pretty well marked so is fairly kind on the aspirant navigator. One of my enduring memories of it is that there was a lot more ascent and descent than is initially apparent from the map though. Nice walk. We used to spend family holdays at Robin Hoods Bay when I was a child so many fond memories of the area, mainly of my dad getting us lost ;D

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:27:15, 09/01/09 »
Make sure you book into the Boggle YHA, pretty cool location, talk about secluded, it has its own private beach area.

Lordstones Cafe is a great free camping area, and the food and drink and very well priced. £1 a can of lager/beer and homemade cornbeef pie, chips and gravy.

baboon

« Reply #9 on: 12:58:20, 09/01/09 »
Piengravy

I found a good way to learn your compass and map is to use them when you know where you are and where you're going.  Stand at a known point then look at the map and look what is on the map in relation to the surroundings.  i.e. on the map there is a plantation to the north. Get your compass bearing north.  Look up and, hopefully, to the north you should be looking at a plantation.   
  I found that this method gives you confidence and trust in your abilities when you're in the doo doo.
  Sorry if the above is patronising, I don't mean it to be.

I'm sure others have their methods.

johnny8b

« Reply #10 on: 13:21:06, 02/03/09 »
I have all the gps co-ords if you want them.

Yes please ogy!  I love the reassuring bleep of a waypoint proximity alert :)

ogy

« Reply #11 on: 08:30:39, 22/03/09 »
Sorry mate not been around on the forums for AAAAAAAges.........How is everyone?? ?? ??
Tony K you done the Cleveland yet??

If you still need these waypoints drop me an email at [email protected]

They are in an easy gps file so you'll need to download that first, it's free like

Andy
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

johnny8b

« Reply #12 on: 12:15:56, 26/03/09 »
Cheers Andy I will drop you an email.  I have Easy GPS so pro [censored] :)

Johnny

ogy

« Reply #13 on: 20:41:35, 26/03/09 »
Nice one Johnny, When are you planning on doing it and over how many days??

It is very well signposted but the gps just helps put your mind at rest.

Ukmase is spot on with the reccomendation for lord stones, I camped there at the end of day 1 in the little wooded area, After a few cheap bevvies  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy