Author Topic: Source of River Goyt  (Read 3118 times)

Monty Piefan

Source of River Goyt
« on: 16:44:05, 07/01/09 »
Hello. I came across the forum while searching the internet for a possible answer to the following query, and I guess there may well be people on here who can help me.

A couple of weeks ago, I was on the train from Hathersage to Manchester (yes, I know this is a walking forum but I have to use the train sometimes) and, as we followed the path of the river through Chinley towards New Mills, I was wondering which river it was. Back home, I dug out my trusty Bartholomew Gazetteer of Britain (now sadly out of print), and found the following:

Goyt: River rising on the High Peak south of Brown Knoll, Derbyshire, and flowing west to New Mills, then NW to join River Tame on north side of Stockport and form River Mersey.

The first part of that description perfectly fits the river which I was describing above, but surely the River Goyt rises near the Cat and Fiddle and heads due north through the Errwood and Fernilee reservoirs and Whaley Bridge to New Mills, where it joins the river described above (and which, incidentally, is not named on my maps, the only possible reference I can see being Roych Clough to the south of Brown Knoll which appears to be one of several feeder streams which join each other just north of the Cowburn tunnel).

So, can anybody throw any light on this? Is there some uncertainty about where the Goyt rises (and is it possible, even, for a river to be credited with two separate sources), or is this simply a glaring mistake on the part of the usually reliable Barts Gaz?   ::) :-[ ???

Any replies would be gratefully received.

« Last Edit: 16:46:06, 07/01/09 by Monty Piefan »

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
Re: Source of River Goyt
« Reply #1 on: 17:56:29, 12/01/09 »
I've just had a look on http://www.maptasm.com/ and if you zoom right in on the section of the river between Buxworth and Chinley it's marked as Black Brook.
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

Monty Piefan

Re: Source of River Goyt
« Reply #2 on: 16:59:48, 22/01/09 »
Thank you for your reply Peakbagger. I have been underwhelmed by the response from everybody else.

Anyway, for anybody who might be interested in these things, I can tell you that HarperCollins (who took over Bartholomews after the last edition of the Gazetteer was published) have today confirmed that this was an error on the part of Barts and that the River Goyt does indeed rise where I am sure we all thought it did.

For what it's worth, I was extremely impressed with the speedy response I got from HarperCollins - it's just a pity they decided after they took over that the Barts Gazetteer was no longer worth publishing in printed form.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy