Author Topic: New to Hill walking .Any suggestions ?  (Read 4935 times)

vish_shan

New to Hill walking .Any suggestions ?
« on: 23:47:53, 25/01/09 »
Hello all,

I am new to U.K and never done Hill walking. I am planning to go down to Snowdonia for about 3-5 days in  February  and planning to do some walks .Being a newbie and not doing any hill walking, I need some help and guidance from the experienced walkers over here. I am trying to gather as much information as i can from the internet ,but still would like to get some suggestions. Is February a right time for me to start.  Can i get some affordable hill walking courses available in snowdonia which deals mainly with navigation and safety. Thanks in advance.Hope to get more info from all.

Regards,
Vish.

Matthew Millen

Re: New to Hill walking .Any suggestions ?
« Reply #1 on: 09:17:46, 26/01/09 »
It depends a bit on your gear and fitness but you are definitely making things hard for yourself. To go to Snowdonia in February you will need a good set of walking boots and very good quality waterproofs at a minimum.

I will leave others who may know about courses you can go on but it is definitely a good place to test navigation skills!

I'm tempted to say wait for fair weather and start in an easier area of the country because you will be able to get away with much cheaper gear and making the odd navigation mistake won't be as potentially serious... on the other hand my fist proper hill walking experience was in Snowdonia and it was so great it got me hooked.

It might be worth looking into the Youth Hostels, they might offer walks/courses and a place to stay at the same time.

http://www.yha.org.uk/ [nofollow]

Matthew
http://www.matthewmillen.com/ [nofollow] - My walking and photo blog

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:02:26, 26/01/09 »
You could have a look at courses offered by Plas Y Brenin, which is the National Centre for mountaineering in England and Wales. They run a whole range of courses, some aimed at professionals gaining their guiding qualifications and some for the amateur who wants to learn more. I did my mountaineering qualifications there and the courses are great fun. They also have a comprehensive stores department so you can borrow equipment, boots and such if you're on one of their courses.

Have a look at their site

http://www.pyb.co.uk/

Hope that helps
Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
« Last Edit: 10:04:59, 26/01/09 by Ian s »
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

Cat

« Reply #3 on: 12:29:56, 26/01/09 »
Hi Vish welcome to the forum, I would have immediately said Plas Y Brenin as a starting point for you.  Also I was wondering if the Brecon Beacons might interest you, would be less travelling, and an easier, but no less astounding start for you hill walking career.  I've just restarted walking and the Beacons have been great for practcining navigation, getting fit and seeing what kit suits the conditions.  I've been in snowdonia twice recently and both times the weather was seriously challenging, both times we've had hurricane forse winds on the summit, lashing rain, then blizards and thick ice.  We were not properly prepared for these conditions and it was disappointing to not make the summit the second time.  We've made some investments in eqipment but will be testing it in the beacons before travelling back up to Snowdonia.  I'd love to meet up for a walk if you fancy sampling the highest part of Southern Britain.

vish_shan

« Reply #4 on: 23:12:07, 27/01/09 »
Hello guys,

Thanks a lot for the information. I have been going through the internet and found some websites which offer some  courses. Although I am very much interested in doing a   5 day course with Plas y brenin I am dropping the plans as of now (being expensive ). although I am planning to do a 2 day course in feb .Being a newbie , Just looking forward for my first experience in hill walking :)
Now am on to 2nd step finding what gear to buy (absolutely have nothing for hill walking).

vish.

vish_shan

« Reply #5 on: 23:28:25, 27/01/09 »
Hello Cat,

When you say about highest part of southern britan, what exactly are you referring to. Its been only few months i have been in U.K . so am not much aware of the places.But yes it would be great to accompany for a walk if you people are planning . Just give me a shout and let me know .

Cheers
Vish.

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:38:40, 28/01/09 »
Hi Vish, If you're doing the february course with PYB then check with them what kit it's essential for you to bring, and what you can get from their stores. I say this because by the time you've had your 2 days out on the british hills and looked at the sort of things other folk use, you may be able to make a better judgement about what sort of kit you want to own, and save yourself some cash :)

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:30:23, 01/02/09 »
Hi
You could always join a walking/hiking club. Might be of help and intrest. http://www.ramblingclubs.com/rambling.php
http://www.walking-uk.com/walkinggroups.htm
Loads of friendly clubs that could be very useful
Hope this helps
Cheers

Cat

« Reply #8 on: 09:54:43, 03/02/09 »
Hi Vish,
I live in Cardiff, about 30 minutes from the Brecon Beacons which are the highest mountians in southern britain, they're very accessible, great fun and well marked for those starting out.  I was up on the Beacons yesturday in thick snow, was quite blizzardy on the top and I was very glad to have all my gear with me.  We tend to go off the cuff because its so close so if you fancy a weekend down here, let me know and I'd love to show you around.  In terms of gear to start you need boots and waterproofs, a daysack and safety gear (survival bag, whistle, torch, map and compass).  I always take hat and glove to the beacons, its never warm at the top even in summer.  I know that plas y brenin hires out gear, but you'd be expected to have what I've put above.

vish_shan

« Reply #9 on: 13:36:58, 11/02/09 »
Hi Cat,

Going to snowdonia for 8 days between March 14 - 22.Would be travelling down again on May .Hope to meet up for a walk in Brecon Beacons some time in May.Seems there is meet up some time .Looking forward  to meet new people at the meetup  .

Cheers
Vish.

Cat

« Reply #10 on: 15:37:39, 12/02/09 »
Would be happy to do the Beacons in May, March is my youngest's 4th birthday so will not be able to travel, though I'm sure arenig and rambling pete will be up for it.  The meetup should be a laugh, can't wait.

vish_shan

« Reply #11 on: 23:15:16, 18/02/09 »
Hi Vish, If you're doing the february course with PYB then check with them what kit it's essential for you to bring, and what you can get from their stores. I say this because by the time you've had your 2 days out on the british hills and looked at the sort of things other folk use, you may be able to make a better judgement about what sort of kit you want to own, and save yourself some cash :)

Ian

Hello Ian,

Finally i got the   5 day course booked with PYB on March 16th and would be travelling there for a week between March 15-21.I have looked at their website and its gonna cost me a lot  if i have to borrow all the stuff for 5 days.Now i am totally confused what to buy and what to borrow.Any advice?

cheers,
Vish.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy