Author Topic: New Member - Massive Hi to One & All  (Read 2292 times)

Ian Goodman

New Member - Massive Hi to One & All
« on: 10:15:38, 15/03/09 »
Hi Guys,

My name is Ian and I am a bit fed up fo the couch potato (well not altogether) marlarkey, live in Brighton with my beautiful fiance Kasia and we are interested in getting to know the mad people who love to walk in the snow, sleet, rain & tropical temperatures that can happen all in 30 minutes of the good olde english weather.

So any help and advice then fire away, looking forward to getting to know all the ups and downs and were is the best to walk.
Thanks

Ian

muymalestado

Re: New Member - Massive Hi to One & All
« Reply #1 on: 19:19:31, 15/03/09 »
Big welcome Ian.

Walking?  Come to Scotland.
I think this next one will be the top ...

grahama

« Reply #2 on: 19:27:10, 15/03/09 »
Hi Ian,

Welcome to the forum.

I ike to walk in the Lakes and Peak district and am about to venture into Wales this week !   Don't know what you have down there but there is always something closeby.

Watch out for forum meet ups.  You need to get up North though  ;D

Regards,

Graham
Record of my walks with my lad, and other walks ongoing!!

www.dinneratthetop.blogspot.com

Ian Goodman

« Reply #3 on: 08:23:15, 16/03/09 »
Hi Muymalestado, Graham

Thank you both for the welcome, yes I will certainly be venturing nerar and far, the missus is new to this so I will take Kasia on a few small walks to begin with. I will look out for the meet ups, what happens on them.

There must also be a bit of a gathering at the end in a water hole somewhere, sswapping our epic adventures and the creratures from the great lagoons etc, lol.

All advice is welcome.

Ian

Cat

« Reply #4 on: 08:31:56, 16/03/09 »
A warm welcome to you Ian, I'm a welsh lash and do most of my walking in the Brecon beacons and snowdonia and of course I think its the best walking around  ;)  We're organising a meet up in the peakdistrict in June, it'll have camping, walking and probably drinking involved and many a story told, take a look at the massive thread in the meet ups forum.  I'm hoping to bring my otherhalf or a friend and I think it'll be a route for all abilities rather than a high altitude trek with much danger.

My top tip is start easy and enjoyable, starting with a trek up snowdon in the sleet would have put me off lol, and you've started the best time of year, hopefully the weather is improving!

Ian Goodman

« Reply #5 on: 09:25:27, 16/03/09 »
Cat

We are both quite fit I do the weights and treadmill and Kasia does a lot of swimming. June sounds good, has any dates been set, not sure about the camping as we dont have a tent etc, but thats all part of the fun.

How long will it be is it over a weekend?

Ian

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:49:45, 17/03/09 »
Hi Ian, welcome to the forum!

Brighton is nice and handy for walking in the South Downs which are just to the north of the city. The Downs stretch from Eastbourne right the way across to Winchester and offer some nice gentle walks to get started on and some more challenging routes for later when you're ready to tackle them.

I live in Cheshire now so my regular playgrounds are the Peak District and Snowdonia (and the Lake District later this year) but I grew up in Hampshire and enjoy walking the chalk downlands whenever I pop down to visit my parents.

Click me for info on the June meet in Edale
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:10:52, 17/03/09 »
Hi, and welcome. I was in Brighton on Sunday, walking on the beach. There are some lovely places to walk in the area. I live and walk in Wiltshire - there are so many great walks on the doorstep. But it's good to try out different areas too. I'm not too keen on walking in extreme conditions however, I'm a bit of a Southern softie!
~
Sue

Ian Goodman

« Reply #8 on: 06:51:42, 18/03/09 »
Hi, and welcome. I was in Brighton on Sunday, walking on the beach. There are some lovely places to walk in the area. I live and walk in Wiltshire - there are so many great walks on the doorstep. But it's good to try out different areas too. I'm not too keen on walking in extreme conditions however, I'm a bit of a Southern softie!

Yes, Brighton is a fab town but we are thinking of moving a bit inland not too far but somewhere rural, with a biggish back garden to do some gardening.

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:04:44, 18/03/09 »
Yes, Brighton is a fab town but we are thinking of moving a bit inland not too far but somewhere rural, with a biggish back garden to do some gardening.

Our friends live in Crawley but it's too built up for me. There are some gorgeous villages around that area - bit pricey though. We've just started a veggie patch in our garden - not sure who will wreck it first: the pheasant, squirrels, birds or deer! (oh, or us forgetting to water it!)
~
Sue

Ian Goodman

« Reply #10 on: 09:17:36, 18/03/09 »
Yes I have been doing the research, everytime we moved into a place with a garden I was always keen but the job didnt give much time, but this time I will ensure I have my down time in the garden once moved.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy