Author Topic: Portugal - Rota Vicentina  (Read 1790 times)

gar303

Portugal - Rota Vicentina
« on: 21:22:49, 27/08/14 »
Anybody done this? http://www.rotavicentina.com/?lang=en
Specifically the fishermans trails

I'm tempted to book a week in October and do it independantly, from b&b to b&b.  I've done loads of solo travelling / backpacking but not backpacking in the multi day walks with a tent on your back style...

Be really interested in some first or second hand info  O0

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
Re: Portugal - Rota Vicentina
« Reply #1 on: 18:35:19, 04/09/14 »
That looks good. I'll ask my Portuguese neighbours about it.

Highs and Lows

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:16:15, 04/09/14 »
This gets a mention in a European coastal walks feature in the August issue of The Great Outdoors.

I went to Cape St. Vincent many years ago, and the scenery is breath-taking. I can only imagine that a walk along the Atlantic coast to the most south-westerly point in mainland Europe (a Portuguese "Land's End", if you like) would be absolutely stunning.

If you do end up doing this, be sure to report back - I'd be very interested to hear about it.
I didn't find the mountains - the mountains found me

https://www.flickr.com/photos/some_photos_by_jim

gar303

« Reply #3 on: 12:41:30, 05/09/14 »
I was planning on going out in October but I'm now heading some Portuguese festival in April so will probably do it then.  The trail has been covered in both the Guardian and the Independent's travel supplements.  Shame i missed the Aug edition of the Great Outdoors.

Also, why is the ferry so pricey? I'd much rather take the car than fly easy fret

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:52:47, 29/09/14 »
I've looked at the Rota Vicentina webpage and have talked to my Portuguese neighbour. I am tempted to hike it but at this time of the year deciding when is the best time to go is the difficulty? For me, it will have to be in the first quarter of 2015 so I have plenty of time to investigate which is the best month to do it. My neighbour suggests that April could be rainy. I live near the sea so the coastal walk or any other coastal walk doesn't turn me on. Although, looking at the route it does seem to lend itself to become a longer walk, perhaps walk one way and then return via the other? Could make sense if Lisbon is the airport. At least I now seem to have a real choice for early next year, either this hike in Portugal or go to the Canary Islands. In the end I am sure the cheapest airfare is what will win me over.

gar303

« Reply #5 on: 20:09:35, 29/09/14 »
I was in Portugal last year, last weekend of March & first e week of April.  For the first few days we were camping inland and it hammered down.  We then moved to Lisbon where the rain felt more tropical, hammering it down for an hour and then big squally skies, which kinda suits a coast path walk...I also seem to remember locals referring to April as the month of rain!

Timing wise the decision has been made for me as I'm going back next April so I'll wal it then.  I've also read sping is ideal for the route as all the flowers etc are in bloom.  Look out for a Welshie  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy