Author Topic: Pennine Way for the over 60's  (Read 126793 times)

HikeyMikey72

Re: Pennine Way for the over 60's
« Reply #390 on: 23:38:46, 25/05/16 »
Youradvocate. I found when the osprey exos 58 was fully loaded and wet the past few days that the shoulder straps were constantly coming loose. (Every 5 mins). I am carrying 10 - 12kg when dry. I only ever used it for lighter training runs but this has now become annoying.  Maybe Im doing something wrong and somebody can correct me? Anyway Im 5 days into PW camping en route and so far have enjoyed only 1 day.  That first few days and rotten weather out of Edale nearly broke me. In hindsight i should have used a baggage service, brought a warmer sleeping bag and anticipated the lack of food in places. Tbh Im yet to feel the love. I took a day off and went to see family in Leeds, dry out and cheer myself up with alcohol and carbs. Good luck tomorrow....
”It’s impossible” said pride. “It’s risky” said experience. “It’s pointless” said reason. “Give it a try” whispered the heart......

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #391 on: 06:45:41, 26/05/16 »
Sorry to hear you're not enjoying it.  Hopefully it'll improve for you.  Even when I hit bad weather, including a very bad final day, I enjoyed the PW, one reason why I'm planning a return visit next year  O0
Where there's a will ...

Mick wmexile

« Reply #392 on: 09:50:14, 26/05/16 »
Youradvocate. I found when the osprey exos 58 was fully loaded and wet the past few days that the shoulder straps were constantly coming loose. (Every 5 mins). I am carrying 10 - 12kg when dry. I only ever used it for lighter training runs but this has now become annoying.  Maybe Im doing something wrong and somebody can correct me? Anyway Im 5 days into PW camping en route and so far have enjoyed only 1 day.  That first few days and rotten weather out of Edale nearly broke me. In hindsight i should have used a baggage service, brought a warmer sleeping bag and anticipated the lack of food in places. Tbh Im yet to feel the love. I took a day off and went to see family in Leeds, dry out and cheer myself up with alcohol and carbs. Good luck tomorrow....

Stick to it Mikey, try and think positive. As I start my P.W. next thursday I don't want to hear things like this :( . To be fair, I will be e bit more comfortable, my wife is travelling with me, meeting up each evening in b&b's etc. Make it so easier for me (I hope) just treating each day as a day walk. Good luck, theres a beer waiting at the Border Inn for you.... go and get it
I never get lost, just don't always know where I am!

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #393 on: 10:29:44, 26/05/16 »
I had terrible weather during my first PW in a September but still enjoyed it tremendously. Perhaps Mickey, you were a little unprepared especially with logistics of food and water supplies, I had no trouble as had planned ahead and knew when to carry more in areas of scarce supply. I hope you enjoy the rest of the trip.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #394 on: 11:14:29, 26/05/16 »
Anyway Im 5 days into PW camping en route and so far have enjoyed only 1 day.  That first few days and rotten weather out of Edale nearly broke me.

Long distance walking can be tough.With the PW its best to accept that bad days are going to be the norm and the good days are a bonus.That way you will accept things as they are and not get too depressed by the conditions.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #395 on: 11:33:48, 26/05/16 »
Long distance walking can be tough.With the PW its best to accept that bad days are going to be the norm and the good days are a bonus.That way you will accept things as they are and not get too depressed by the conditions.

Agree fully.  To me part of the challenge of long distance walking is coping with the weather, and part of me would feel cheated if conditions were too perfect every day  ;)
Where there's a will ...

HikeyMikey72

« Reply #396 on: 13:45:50, 26/05/16 »
Cheers for the pep talk folks. To be fair when i read back on that it looks total doom n gloom. The Dales have lifted my spirits and Im heading towards Hawes and my final day Friday at Tan Hill. I only had 10 days to play with. It has been dog rough at times & harder than expected camping it. Met some smashing people and witnessed a bit of (as the yanks say) trail magic along the way. I will be coming back in August to complete it with a more open mind and dry clothes....  ;)
”It’s impossible” said pride. “It’s risky” said experience. “It’s pointless” said reason. “Give it a try” whispered the heart......

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #397 on: 14:56:22, 26/05/16 »
After pretty bad weather when we did the C2C (and we still really enjoyed it) I'll be going with the expectation of bad weather again.  Perfect walking days are probably few and far between, in fact I'd probably struggle more if I was walking in 30 deg! Having said that we did have perfect weather in the Peak district a few weeks back.

nod2

« Reply #398 on: 14:55:00, 01/06/16 »
Completed the Pennine way on the 23rd of May. This was my first attempt at it. Had a fantastic time met some really nice people. I only walked 10 days out of 16 on my own. I had good weather mostly, only one really bad day, on Stoodly Pike it was blowing a gale, raining sideways and nearly blew me off. Hardly any boggy bits even on the Cheviots.

Really glad to complete but at the same time sad it was over, Thinking what to do next, maybe Offas Dyke.
Has anyone done it and is it worth doing.

nod2

« Reply #399 on: 15:56:33, 01/06/16 »
Completed the Pennine way on the 23rd of May. This was my first attempt at it. Had a fantastic time met some really nice people. I only walked 10 days out of 16 on my own. I had good weather mostly, only one really bad day, on Stoodly Pike it was blowing a gale, raining sideways and nearly blew me off. Hardly any boggy bits even on the Cheviots.

Really glad to complete but at the same time sad it was over, Thinking what to do next, maybe Offas Dyke.
Has anyone done it and is it worth doing.
That should read 6 days out of 16 on my own :D

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #400 on: 16:53:42, 01/06/16 »
I had wind and rain along to Stoodley Pike too  :)

Glad you enjoyed it.  I did Offa's Dyke last year and although I'm glad I did I didn't get the same satisfaction I got out of the PW, which I'm hoping to do again next year.
Where there's a will ...

Mick wmexile

« Reply #401 on: 11:48:33, 03/06/16 »
I've finally got my Pennine Way hike underway, started yesterday Edale to Torside. Was going to start today (friday) but a good friend, Lew got in touch a few weeks ago saying he had a day off work. As I was planning to get picked up and return home that day (I live in Derbyshire) it was no problem to change it. Anyway, what a fine start for me, NO RAIN at all, wonder when that will change. I have started a t/r blog  (https://mickwmexile.blogspot.co.uk/) which I hope to update as often as I can, providing wi-fi is in accommodations.

So its back up to Torside tomorrow and this 65 year old can get get on with the task inhand
I never get lost, just don't always know where I am!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #402 on: 16:23:43, 03/06/16 »
Hope weather kind to you :)
Where there's a will ...

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #403 on: 19:41:37, 05/06/16 »
DEcided to take half a day off and use a computer for a bit of leisure. The weather on my start day at Kirk Yetholme was dreadful, high winds and heavy rain most of the day, was made even worse because the boots that I bought a few months ago (WATERPROOF Keen Targee 2's) leaked like a SIEVE!!!

I hiked to the Byrness Hostel in one day, my feet were truly a mess with blisters on the balls of my feet and heels and they looked very crinkly and sickly! The people in charge of the hostel put my boots and socks in their dryer. The next day my socks were dry but the boots were still damp, but at least it was no longer raining. I hiked on but as soon as I walked on soggy moorland my feet became wet through again. By the time I got to Hadrians Wall (hobbling!) I was not a happy bunny at all!

Whilst walking through Wark Forest I met two blokes who I chatted to. One started talking about the Spine Race so I said do you know Slogger? Know him said one, he's one of my mates! So if you read this Slogger he and friend seemed to be doing fine, Sorry, forgot their names! I also met a couple who had walked the Stevenson Trail in France. First time I've met people who, like me have done this, we spent ages talking about our love of the route and the experiences we had.

My wet boots problem has dominated me my thinking and my mood, I get like that sometimes. In the end I managed to buy some Nicwax leather waterproofing spay and just poured the liquid contents equally into each boot and waited until the liquid started dribbling through to the outside. Each boot had about 5 different exit points so this annoyed me even further! I then poured the liquid back into the container and just left them to dry (more or less) in the sunshine of that day.

I emailed Keen's (not a word so far) and the online shop I bought them from, again not a word to date. Maybe I was sold a pair of seconds?

My waterproofing idea seems to have paid off. At the moment my feet are dry and seem to be healing as well. I have had to walk though some boggy bits and so far water has not got in again. It hasn't rained so that's been helpful.

I've discovered I am now nervous of cows. Since my experience on the GR10 in France last year when one charged and biffed me in the chest, I found that on one day I completely lost my nerve to walked through a herd, so did it the hard way by walking around their field.

Apart from that I've enjoyed good beer and good food. Its so cheap 'up North' I have paid £2.60 a pint, £3.75 where I live in Portsmouth! If I go to a seafront pub I can be charged £4.50 a pint!

My Exos 48 has performed very well, my load has carried very well. I also have had no problems with harness slippage. Once tightened thats where it stays.

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #404 on: 19:49:34, 05/06/16 »
I must tell you all that the husband and wife team at the Byrnes hostel are, I believe, are the best! So kind and helpful and I felt honoured to stay there. I arrived a bit late but they immeadiatly offered me food and drink, volunteered to dry my boots and socks and were so very helpful in every other way. A great place and a great couple!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy