Author Topic: Pennine Way for the over 60's  (Read 126802 times)

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine Way for the over 60's
« Reply #60 on: 18:31:54, 11/02/15 »
Evening guys,
I reckon with a clean clothes top up at Tan Hill I should be ok Stube, but it is a good thought; as is the cut off sock thing Dave; that was an inspired idea..genius! Did 16km this afternoon (admittedly on the flat) and my heels did not seem to move at all. Pity the rest of my feet and legs did not really want to move ???

Hazzer

« Reply #61 on: 10:35:20, 17/02/15 »
Yes, JohhhnyP, I shall be backpacking again in May, almost certainly setting off the 1st week.

In 2012 and 2013 I caught a train that arrived in Edale at about 3pm, and walked 9 miles to Doctor's Gate, just north of the Snake Road, where there's some wet grass amid the peat.  Unfortunately, there's no real seclusion there, as cyclists come along Doctor's Gate until quite late, and someone even stopped once to take a picture of my tent!

I've been thinking of getting up really early so that I can arrive at 10.30 and camp a few miles north of Crowden.

One resolution I have made: I am bypassing Horton by continuing along the track west after coming off Pen y Ghent instead of doing the pointless loop south, then north. In 2012 I had one of the nastiest meals ever in the P-y-G Cafe and in 2013 I camped at the village site, where I was kept awake until after 1am by rowdy drunks, so there seems no good remaining reason to leave the hills for this particular spot of "civilisation".

So my possible schedule is:

1 Oakenclough Brook (ish) - last camped there in 1984!
2 Pub tea garden on A62 or a few miles north
3 Aladdin's Cave at Colden
4 Cowling
5 Malham (probably north of)
6 beyond PyG
7 Hardraw tea shop
8 Tan Hill
9 Field beside river NW of Middleton where farmer comes round on a tractor
10 Dufton
11 Garrigill/Alston
12 Greenhead
13 Bellingham
14 Byrness
15 KY

In reality, probably 14 days of walking and about 50% wild camping.

All subject to amendment on the day of course, which is one of the great joys of backpacking.

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're NOT all out to get me.

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 12:25:41, 17/02/15 »
Yep, seems good, I've camped a bit further on from Crowden, some very nice spots and views to match (hip flask of brandy compulsory for me) and last time bypassed the Horten (like it but it can be rowdy) section when coming south. Straight over the top of Peny Ghent and camped at Malham. I always have to get up at dawn, its my particular sleeping problem! I just pack up and go and then have breafast, have a shave and so on a couple of hours later. Enjoy your trip.

Hazzer

« Reply #63 on: 12:39:49, 17/02/15 »
Shave?  Shave?

No chance!

That's one standard that I let slip on a walk.

I rather like the "before" and "after" pictures.

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're NOT all out to get me.

Campingman

« Reply #64 on: 16:39:26, 17/02/15 »
I completed the PW aged 64 - Back packing.  Wild camped 18 nights. YH 2 nights. B&B 1 night. This is without doubt the hardest but most satisfying of all the long distance walks I have completed. I would urge anyone thinking of doing it to go ahead.

My pack weight was 27 kilos (Too heavy!) - I carried all my own provisions - totally self-sufficient.

Started at Edale, by the time I got to Crowdon I seriously thought about getting the bus to Sheffield and aborting but I carried on. During the first 3 days I fell behind my target distances by almost 6 miles, but soon made up the shortfall as my fitness levels increased.

Met some really great people on the way, both fellow walkers and others.

Wiyhout a doubt - the best adventure of a lifetime - DO IT!

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 17:15:43, 17/02/15 »
Campingman,
That wasn't in September 2008 by any chance was it?

Campingman

« Reply #66 on: 17:27:25, 17/02/15 »
Slogger - no, 2012. Did you walk it in 2008?

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: 21:24:14, 17/02/15 »
Yes my first time. Reason for asking. I came across a guy roundabout the same age at Cowling struggling with what looked like his house on his back.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: 17:29:15, 18/02/15 »
27 kilos?. You weren't in 2 Para were you Campingman? That is some weight to hump all that way. I'm taking about half that. Find that quite heavy enough for 20 miles a day.
I too think I will let the shaving thing slip Hazzer. Grew one of the South American Pimp style goatee beards during Movember. It then occurred that if I gently grew out the rest en-route it would look too bohemian at the other end. 8)
I do agree about Horton. It was a proper madhouse when I last did the 3 peaks in 2013. Am in the Golden Lion so don't expect a quiet night. Was a bit of a trek from Malham to Hawes without deviating too far from the route.
Looking at your route plan. I can easily see 14 days. The waiting round for breakfasts over a fortnight could easily add a day to the route.
Guys like you and Campingman and other backpackers have my utmost respect. wouldn't really fancy it myself at our advanced ages.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: 21:58:24, 18/02/15 »
Must agree ....

Feel I'm too old now to be struggling to sleep in a tent when I can be in a proper bed somewhere. Done that .... got the t-shirt ☺
Where there's a will ...

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: 10:57:11, 19/02/15 »
I'm still OK about camping but due to advancing years I do keep a close eye on my rucksack and body weight and from experience have learned how important it is for the rucksack to fit me like a limpet, no chaffing movements and so on as I hike. I tend to hike alone and again, from experience I have not found that distance and duration is my problem but sometimes I suffer from losing the urge to go on. Now and again my mood drifts into the 'wrong place'. I am careful not to spend too long without human company, for me that can be a real downer. I am now experienced enough now to know what tends to happen to my mind set as each day progresses. I make every effort to recognise when the problem is creeping up on me so, will go out of my way to talk to anyone until this shadow passes. I met a bloke last year and we discussed our individual hiking mood problems and the solutions we try at some length, he tended to spend long periods in his tent during the day trying to sleep his mood away. I can't do that, I have to keep moving, sitting still and forcing myself to sleep, for me only makes matters worse. I really enjoyed the Pennine Way, its duration and demand on a hiker is something worth remembering.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: 11:29:30, 19/02/15 »
My general hiking mood is 'on a high' all the way. I still prefer wild camping, I'm 69 years in a few weeks. Wild camping I tend to get a good sleep, on the other hand if it's been very wet for a day or two i do like a B&B with a hot shower. My problem is that I can be a bit of an insomniac and if I can hear snoring from an adjoining room, I have no chance of a good nights sleep, even after a few pints, whereas next to a noisy river or stream, wind through the trees and the like, I find soothing and relaxing. Plus you can stop, within reason, where you like.

Campingman

« Reply #72 on: 11:41:06, 19/02/15 »
Johhnyp - not 2 Para. Did have an association with the British Army - if I tell you what I will have to kill you -lol.

Slogger - couldn't agree more - I have been known to sleep 9 hours in my tent (on the side of Pen-y-gent), from 20:00 to 05:00 solid.

My main tent - Pictorx2 (hydrostatic head 4000 groundsheet 5000) is a bit heavy at 3.45 kgs but really good. I used a one man tent with a hydrostatic head of 3000 costing £14 from Lidl when walking the Devon Coast to Coast last September. A bit cramped but stood up to the elements really well and pretty easy to put up.

I love walking in this country - the wilder the better. Pitch yourself against nature - with respect.

Stube

« Reply #73 on: 13:02:15, 19/02/15 »
I camp because I like the freedom to walk as little or as much as I like on the day - I also have the habit of playing tourist if I'm in an unfamiliar part of the country. While I do wild camp, I prefer to stay at recognised campsites for the greater facilities - and they're usually closer to the Pubs O0

I'm fortunate in that I don't really suffer from mood swings, but I can "hit the wall" when I must stop regardless of where I am. This usually occurs if I'm still walking much after 8pm.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #74 on: 14:34:30, 19/02/15 »
'Mood swings' - not good for the sufferer, but can be worse for the companion!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy