Author Topic: Walk query  (Read 1923 times)

botty

• Veteran Member
Walk query
« on: 19:26:47, 09/03/15 »
Well, I've not been on here for a long time, only a few posts in 2014 with the last one being in October.

So, we've been on lots of walking holidays but mix them up a little more now and instead of 6 days hiking, it's normally about 3 days out walking and the rest of the time visiting NT/HHA/EH sites.

And so to my query. A few months ago we drove from Osmotherly back down to Helmsley and the drive across was stunning with some beautiful scenery each side of us. We're off to Helmsley in a week and a half would like to do a couple of walks somewhere along that route, any suggestions?

Dessie

Re: Walk query
« Reply #1 on: 19:50:37, 09/03/15 »
If you park at  Moor Gate which is a bit up the road from Hawnby in the Osmotherley direction there are a number of really good walks.
A nice circular with good views can be worked out over Hawnby Hill and Easterside Hill.

Or you could work your way up Bilsdale Moor (just aim at the mast)  towards CockHowe or Green Howe and back down Arnsgill Ridge or Cow Ridge to Ryedale.

And parking a bit further up at Anya's Wood go down the valley to Arden Hall, up Thorodale to the Cleveland Way, over Black Hambleton and back down from near Square Corner. (Or park at Square corner instead).

We always think this is a very under rated part of the Moors but it has great variety.

Enjoy.

Bimbling Jean

« Reply #2 on: 20:02:34, 09/03/15 »
The longest journey starts with a single step

botty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:52:35, 19/03/15 »
Many thanks folks, up there next week so will enjoy some walks.

wombat

« Reply #4 on: 23:27:51, 19/03/15 »
Be very wary about parking between Osmotherley and Hawnby. A few years ago i parked at the parking area near Black Hambleton and went mountain biking for the day.On returning to my van the rear window had been broken and all my spare clothes and equipment had been stolen. On reporting this to the local police i was informed that " this is common in that area " Since then i always park in a village as talking to other people in the carpark it appears that my van was broken into within half an hour after leaving it. People have been known to park up the road from a carpark and watch it until someone sets off walking or mountain biking, they then know the vehicle will be unattended for a while .Sorry if i sound paranoid but it has made me think about where i leave my car .   >:( >:(

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:45:44, 19/03/15 »
There's honesty box parking in Hawnby - behind the village hall.  It's opposite a little café/tea room too.  The pub there is ridiculously expensive though.

Lazar

« Reply #6 on: 02:06:57, 20/03/15 »
You are on the Cleveland way there great walk.

botty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:30:21, 30/03/15 »
In the end we didn't venture onto the road to Osmotherly. We did three walks from Helmsley so we didn't have to move the car, an extended walk around Fountains Abbey and then did 8 miles in Scarborough from up above Scalby Mills to where the Holbeck Hotel slid into the sea and back. And thankfully dry weather all week  O0

And look at these posh new chalets being built on the north bay at Scarborough. Oh I do like to be beside the seaside.....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy