Author Topic: (TR) Adventures in Smogland  (Read 5311 times)

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
(TR) Adventures in Smogland
« on: 20:33:34, 24/03/15 »

Heavy seas

I have always believed variety is the spice of life and walking is no different so as the weather was gloomy and indifferent today we decided to go for a walk in an industrial area.

Love the coast so last year we did a walk from Redcar to Saltburn from where we spied the huge industrial complex to the north. Looking at the map there was also a spit of land and a wetland nature reserve area. It all looked very interesting and when we got there it was amazing a hive of activity. There were surfers fighting it out with freighters , the usual in situ fishermen, a sort of shanty town of fishermans huts that seemed to have semi permanent residents, while hidden round the corner was a superb little harbour

One of of the memorable memories of this area was this was the friendlyness of the natives we stopped for many chats. Ok its not the Dales or the Lakes not even one of the boroughs of London but its defo an impressive atmosphere when a strong wind blows from the east and those big heavy seas roll in.

Fantastic day out hope you like the photos. 

Surfers fighting it out with freighters

Tapping the furness

Heavy industry

Fishermans huts

Twee little harbour

A few wrecks

The sun came out at last

Horsey

Re: (TR) Adventures in Smogland
« Reply #1 on: 20:52:04, 24/03/15 »
My neck of the woods that. What time were there abouts? A fisherman was washed off the end of the breakwater about 3.45. Luckily he was rescued in time by the RNLI.

AZALDO

« Reply #2 on: 20:57:21, 24/03/15 »
Lovely photos......... O0
"I walk, therefore I am."

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:01:20, 24/03/15 »
Some lovely photos midweekmountain, well done  O0

Who needs mountains when you've got the seaside  ;D

Regards Keith

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 06:47:12, 25/03/15 »
My neck of the woods that. What time were there abouts? A fisherman was washed off the end of the breakwater about 3.45. Luckily he was rescued in time by the RNLI.

We were there last week it was cold and windy, I always have a great respect for the sea on the day some big waves were coming in so I was in very carefull mode.

I once got-got by a freak wave at Gogarth on Anglesey we had rappelled into Castel Helen and I was belayed maybe 15 feet above the sea, conditions were reasonably calm when a single freak monster wave came in way over my head. Had I not got a good belay I would have been swept off into the sea.

Never had this happen again in decades of sea cliff climbing but it just goes to highlight the power of the sea-Scary stuff!!!!!!

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:24:10, 25/03/15 »
Great photos, really enjoyed your trip report. There can be something quite haunting and poetic about industrial and post-industrial landscapes.

Although I appreciate the regeneration of Manchester since the bombing back in the 90s I do miss some of the crumbling, derelict mills that edged the centre proper. They always seemed to me a kind of modern version of a ruined castle or abbey and I loved the vegetation that sprouted from their walls and roofs, sometimes in the most unlikely of places. I guess nature always finds a way...  :)

Thanks for sharing these.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:16:20, 25/03/15 »
Interesting photos and report mwm  O0
Hate will never win

joncombe

« Reply #7 on: 12:42:12, 27/03/15 »
I did a walk similar to this last year, from Redcar to Middlesbrough, along the coast then the Teesdale Way so I remember the places in your photo. Certainly different to the usual walk but I quite enjoyed it, apart from the huge amounts of rubbish on this stretch of the Teesdale Way.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:50:43, 27/03/15 »
Nice report mwm and really good pictures with a bit of everything going on in there, although the sun was out those walkers must have had cold feet on the sand  ;D
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:33:11, 28/03/15 »
Thanks guys

CallMeSteven

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:39:30, 28/03/15 »
Thanks - lovely photos. I also love the sea, particularly on dull very windy days  O0

We are so lucky in the UK that we have such a variety of landscape, I'd hate to live in the dessert  ;)    

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:41:34, 28/03/15 »
Great photos, makes an interesting TR.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:14:32, 01/04/15 »
Thanks MWM nice and evocative photos and reminds of some time we spent in the area a few years back:Our son used to work at Saltburn so we'd trip out to see him.
It was a great surprise to find that despite this not being the kind of place you'd especially aim to visit, once you'd been - you were very glad you had. Saltburn is quite chic in parts and has a nice little funicular railway.

I think I feel a trip coming on  O0

PS - similar scenes (slightly) to the closing section of the ' Get Carter ' film.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:32:22, 04/04/15 »
We are so lucky in the UK that we have such a variety of landscape ;)  

Once again thanks guys, yes 'We are so lucky in the UK that we have such a variety of landscape' I always think the trick is to take advantage of our fantastic countryside.

Am itching to get away for an extended spell to Scotland this month!!!!!!

C2C10

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:52:58, 04/04/15 »
Popular area with the surfer's. I'm hope to been there in the morning for a beach walk.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy