Author Topic: Jambo from Kenya  (Read 1511 times)

AHuysman

Jambo from Kenya
« on: 07:24:58, 12/04/09 »
Jambo from Kenya,

'Jambo' means greetings in Swahili, our national language in Kenya. I’m a walker and new to this  site – well not so new as I’d previously given it a check but couldn’t go through registration, picture upload etc, as I had a snail speed dial-up internet connection.

Recently a wave of technology moved up big time in my area and I can now connect at 5-20Kb/sec (not Mb), what bliss,  so here I am at Walking Forum and hope to enjoy the company of fellow walkers.

My exact location in Kenya is just below the base of Mt. Kenya and the Aberdare ranges – quite far from the tourism hot spots of Mara, Tsavo and Samburu.  But we have some real nature gems for game viewing walks – such as Solio, Sangare and the private Aberdare game conservancies, which are not visited by mass tourism.  Here it is not just about the miles walked but the joy of giraffes, zebras, gazelles and other small game stopping bang on the walking trail. If you throw in the numerous and colorful birds – then you will be on standstill.

Have a query on Kenya, bring it on. Happy walking!

http://www.ontdek-kenya-safaris.com [nofollow]

Yomper

• Account Closed
Re: Jambo from Kenya
« Reply #1 on: 07:55:52, 12/04/09 »
Hello & welcome  :)

Going for a walk in Kenya I would be worried about lions etc  :o

Thanks for sharing your photos, great to see the wildlife  ;)

Thanks

Yomper

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:47:46, 12/04/09 »
Jambo to you too.  :)

We spent our honeymoon in Kenya, nearly 27 years ago and have decided we should return for our 30th anniversary. We stayed on the beach near Mombassa and spent much of the first week negotiating a private tour with another couple we met there. We visited Tsavo and Amboseli, staying overnight in Amboseli with a fabulous view of Kilimanjaro in the distance. And we didn't see any other tourists whilst out there - I suspect that would be very different these days.

When we return we will want to do something different rather than trying to compete with our first experience. A walking safari would be fantastic so I shall read your posts with much interest.
~
Sue

AHuysman

« Reply #3 on: 07:58:25, 13/04/09 »
Thanks for rolling out the welcome carpet - from walkers it is of course covered with mud, bog, dust ,rain.... + the views, but is this not what takes us out!

Hello & welcome  :)

Going for a walk in Kenya I would be worried about lions etc  :o

Thanks

Yomper

This would only be in the movies, we keep it real so expect giraffes, zebras, gazelles , cows ,sheep and goats.

Jambo to you too.  :)

We spent our honeymoon in Kenya, nearly 27 years ago and have decided we should return for our 30th anniversary. We visited Tsavo and Amboseli, staying overnight in Amboseli with a fabulous view of Kilimanjaro in the distance. And we didn't see any other tourists whilst out there - I suspect that would be very different these days.

When we return we will want to do something different rather than trying to compete with our first experience. A walking safari would be fantastic so I shall read your posts with much interest.

Indeed things have changed , a lot more tourists ( before the financial crisis wiped out the magic power of credit card). There are more hotels/lodges - widening the  choice of accommodation but the best change has been in the opening up of private game conservancies - where you can cut off from the masses and you guessed it -walk! 

Yomper

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: 13:28:54, 13/04/09 »
What no lions  :o :o

I suppose there is still plenty to see though  ;)

AHuysman

« Reply #5 on: 14:31:56, 13/04/09 »
You will see lions but from the safety of a safari vehicle in the game parks. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy