Author Topic: Using Your GPS  (Read 2607 times)

SilvaNavigation

Using Your GPS
« on: 10:30:02, 26/03/07 »
Hi,

Can I use this forum for a spot of research.  I am currently writing a book for Cicerone provisionally titled "Navigating with a GPS". 

I am sure there are a few GPS users/owners out there.  So how do you use yours? 

Thanks in advance.

Pete Hawkins

Author of Map and Compass; the art of navigation and Navigation: Techniques and Skills for Walkers both published by Cicerone.
Silva Map and Compass Courses - http://www.navigationcourses.co.uk [nofollow]

Snowman

Re: Using Your GPS
« Reply #1 on: 11:00:54, 26/03/07 »
To be honest I use about 1% of the facilities of my GPS.

While not claiming to be an expert navigator with map and compass, I would claim some proficiency with them gained as a young lad with the Boy Scouts when we were frequently pushed into inter-troop orienteering competitions.    Almost my sole use of the GPS is therefore to check my position if I'm not feeling 100% about where I am.   Not being a purist, I prefer this to wandering about for an hour trying to get my bearings.

I once used it when I'd already had several hard day's walking and was crossing a particularly difficult stretch of terrain (bogs etc).   I really didn't want to walk any further than I had to by meandering about to avoid the worst of the natural obstacles, so set my GPS to a point about 3 miles away and let it lead me there.

My only other use of it was when walking in the White Mountains in Crete.    The maps available were rubbish (the best I could get was 1:100000), and unusable by the GPS because the map datum didn't match anything on the GPS.    However when we set out I turned it on so that if things got bad I could use the 'reverse route' function.

I also have some sea-going navigation experience, and it is always reckoned that while modern systems are great, you still need to know what you're doing in case of malfunction.    I have always transferred that philosophy to land as well, in other words while a GPS is great in theory, you could end up in big trouble if it fails you and you can't use a backup compass.    I therefore use the compass first and a GPS as backup.

Cheers, S.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:31:50, 08/04/07 »
Totally agree about using a map and compass as back up, nothing worse than the GPS packing up or batteries going on you.

Recently a mate and I have been giving Memory Map a go on a Windows Mobile phone with a bluetooth GPS unit. It isn't cheap (1:25k maps are between £50-£100 depending on where you buy them) but you do have the full OS Survey maps available in fantastic detail, with 3D fly throughs as well to avoid any unwelcome suprises. It does the usual things of tracking where you are, have been, elevation etc. 

Apart from the route planning aspects what I like is that as well as having the full OS map in print (In my ruck) I can have a close up printed map in my pocket as well. The routes are very interesting when you get home (the last walk was to some stone circles on Bamford Moor, the route we walked looked like we were drunk).

Take a look at the trial if you like. Well worth it and there's quite a few sellers on ebay to get the price down. The maps are compatible with lots of kit I just prefer PDA's and mobiles.

My next phone will have GPS built in because of this software (an Orange/HTC M700) rather than a dedicated GPS unit from Garmin. Ofcourse if you like the rough stuff more then a dedicated unit may serve you better, mobioles not renowned for their tough ness.

FYI it used 60% of the battery for about 6 hours usage with blue tooth running and with the phone in use as well (i.e. not in flight mode).

Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 01:45:14, 11/04/07 »
I know i sound out of date/touch but to be honest, i was asked to test a gps for a company and its main use came from giving me something to mess about with at night in my tent, i am not a techphobi, i know i sound like one. :-\

I really should be better, wneh we train one of the guys always takes his and when we get to the top of where we are going, it is interesting to have alook at our route and other bits of info.

I do think the price of them is still to high for their use, the last time i used one without a test, was when i was teaching yacht nav, as it was part of their course, that was a garmin 12.

Sorry i dont think i have been much help :(
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Snowman

« Reply #4 on: 10:04:19, 11/04/07 »
I'm definitely not a technophobe, but when you're out in the hills, I need to be able to rely on my method of navigation, and I don't believe that an electronic device is foolproof.

Before anyone says '... but your compass could break ...', I always carry two, as well as having a Suunto watch that has a compass function.    In addition, my walking colleague also carries a compass.     Finally, I also know how to use an analogue wristwatch as a backup compass.    Not particularly accurate but could get you out of trouble.

My secondary reason for not using a GPS is the speed with which they eat batteries.    I know they've improved, but my old Garmin used 4 AA batteries a day, which if you're on a 7 day trek means you need to carry 28 batteries, which is a considerable weight (and expense!) when you're trying to travel light.    My GPS cost me around £150, and I'm not so flush that I'm going to throw it away just because the latest model uses less battery power, so mine will remain just a backup where one set of batteries should last the entire trip.

S.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:16:05, 11/04/07 »
Thankfully we only day hike so battery supply isn't much of a problem (as we both have the same phone series anyway) as we can recharge back in the car - phone goes on the charger we go on the tea.

Ofcourse I always have the paper map with me and we both have a compass in case of real problems.

On day hikes only though getting partly lost is part of the fun! I could tell you my worst mistake (which was only a week or two back), but I won't it's too embarassing.

I think they're expensive (with memory map it's the price of the maps) is partly due to the OS charges. Which is why we use mobiles rather than dedicated GPS units.

Still each to their own. As long as you're safe and prepared that's the main thing.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:42:47, 12/04/07 »
Oh come on Dazza, spill the beans, we all get lost sometimes ;D

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:02:54, 12/04/07 »
Well ok. Baring mind I only started walking again this year (late Jan) and so am very out of practise. Should be an F1 driver lining my excuses up.

It was also the first time at this place using GPS which decided to chuck it's toys out of it's pram. So back to the map which we'd managed well with for most of the walk (GPS gave out after about 30 minutes into a 4 hour walk).

Walking along the top of Stanage edge. Well on Stanage edge there's Stanage Pole. Which is basically whats left of a telephone pole.

I was so focused on where I though we were. I totally missed this on the map. Ofcourse as we wandered ofcourse I realised something wasn't quite right. This was confirmed when after a mile and a half we stumbled across something that wasn't on my blown up map section (I usually take a blown up A4 copy of the map with me, leaving the big one in my ruck). A big reservoir.

A quick delve in the ruck for the big map showed me where we were and some hasty back tracking was done. I didn't fess up till later (over a pint or two) that I'd mistaken Stanage Pole for a trig point. When we were at the pole I asked someone if I was right about where we were and they said yes it was, the swines.

Now if that aint embrassing I dunno what is. ::)

« Last Edit: 21:39:20, 12/04/07 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:45:47, 12/04/07 »
Well ok. Baring mind I only started walking again this year (late Jan) and so am very out of practise. Should be an F1 driver lining my excuses up.

It was also the first time at this place using GPS which decided to chuck it's toys out of it's pram. So back to the map which we'd managed well with for most of the walk (GPS gave out after about 30 minutes into a 4 hour walk).

Walking along the top of Stanage edge. Well on Stanage edge there's Stanage Pole. Which is basically whats left of a telephone pole.

I was so focused on where I though we were. I totally missed this on the map. Ofcourse as we wandered ofcourse I realised something wasn't quite right. This was confirmed when after a mile and a half we stumbled across something that wasn't on my blown up map section (I usually take a blown up A4 copy of the map with me, leaving the big one in my ruck). A big reservoir.

A quick delve in the ruck for the big map showed me where we were and some hasty back tracking was done. I didn't fess up till later (over a pint or two) that I'd mistaken Stanage Pole for a trig point. When we were at the pole I asked someone if I was right about where we were and they said yes it was, the swines.

Now if that aint embrassing I dunno what is.

Dazza, the walk i posted in i think, funniest moments, the one with the cows and bull,  hell i did'nt mean to be in that field, in a million years.

I just blame the high iron content in the ground, for the compass not working  ;D  ;D

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:48:46, 14/04/07 »
I'll remember the ground and iron excuse for future reference.  ;D
« Last Edit: 14:04:00, 15/04/07 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy