Author Topic: TR A visit to Newcastle upon Tyne Sat 20 Feb 16  (Read 11383 times)

April

• Veteran Member
A different sort of TR this week  :) We had a day out in Newcastle on Saturday. The weather was forecast to be really wet and windy in the Lakes but dry further east. Beefy had never seen the bridges or Quayside in Newcastle so we thought this was an ideal opportunity to go and see them. We wanted to try out our new cameras without them getting wet. We have both bought a Sony DSC HX60, Beefy has the one with GPS. 

We got the 685 bus to Eldon Square and first up was a hunt for a new camera case for our cameras. We didn't really see what we wanted. We went into Fenwick’s a department store on Northumberland Street, they didn’t have any camera cases but I couldn’t resist looking in the kitchen department. Beefy loved all the gadgets and he got an onion chopper and I got some measuring spoons. We had a coffee before heading to Grey Street and I became a tourist in my own City.

The Theatre Royal on Grey Street

Grey's Monument. His government saw the abolition of slavery and he is also associated with Earl Grey tea.

This is written on the plaque on Grey’s Monument.

THIS COLUMN WAS ERECTED IN 1838
TO COMMEMORATE
THE SERVICES RENDERED TO HIS COUNTRY BY
CHARLES EARL GREY K.G.
WHO, DURING AN ACTIVE POLITICAL CAREER OF
NEARLY HALF A CENTURY
WAS THE CONSTANT ADVOCATE OF PEACE
AND THE FEARLESS AND CONSISTENT CHAMPION OF
CIVIL AND RELIGIOUS LIBERTY.
HE FIRST DIRECTED HIS EFFORTS TO THE AMENDMENT
OF THE REPRESENTATION OF THE PEOPLE IN 1792,
AND WAS THE MINISTER
BY WHOSE ADVICE, AND UNDER WHOSE GUIDANCE,
THE GREAT MEASURE OF PARLIAMENTARY REFORM
WAS AFTER AN ARDUOUS AND PROTRACTED STRUGGLE
SAFELY AND TRIUMPHANTLY ACHIEVED
IN THE YEAR 1832.

It was very cold and windy in Newcastle but at least it was dry. We went down Grey Street to the quayside.

First glimpse of The Tyne Bridge

Some 16th and 17th century buildings on Sandhill including Bessie Surtees House on the left

We don't often take photos in cities and one thing we noticed was all the signs, lamp posts and traffic lights in the way. Landscape photography is much easier.

We got onto the quayside and the wind was even colder next to the river.

The Millenium Bridge and The Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art on the right

The Sage Gateshead, a live music venue

The Tyne Bridge, Swing Bridge, High Level Bridge, Queen Elizabeth Bridge

We walked over the Millenium bridge, both of us for the first time, over to the Gateshead side.

The Baltic, the old flour mill building

The Millenium Bridge from the Gateshead side near the Baltic

We returned to the Newcastle side over the bridge again.

Beefy with the Millenium Bridge behind 

The Tyne Bridge from the Castle Keep

The Castle Keep

We had our lunch in The Mile Castle a Wetherspoons pub. I’ve had lunch in here a few times and the food has always been surprisingly good. We were out of luck on Saturday. Our baked potatoes and veggie chilli were cooked when it came but a bit cold. They needed a bit longer in the microwave  ;D

We walked back toward Grey’s Monument.

A poster underneath Grey's Monument. Rather apt, Charles Grey was an advocate of peace

There was a huge police presence in the City Centre and we saw an English flag being bandied about near Grey Street. We assumed it was a march by the morons from the English Defence League. 

The new City Library

Newcastle these days is a city of contrasts with the very modern buildings along side the old. I don’t recognise most of the new buildings. They were built after I left to live in Cumbria and it is a bit of a surprise not knowing where you are at times in the place you once lived for forty years.

A familiar 'old' sight. The Northern Goldsmiths Clock on the corner of Blackett Street

We went into Cotswold Outdoors on the way back to the bus station in Eldon Square not expecting to find a camera case but I did and I bought an Osprey one, exactly what I wanted  O0

I’m not sure how many miles we walked but were on our feet for four of the five hours we were in Newcastle. We’d had a great day out avoiding awful weather in the Lakes. The Helvelyn fell top assessor had recorded 53.7mph winds on Whiteside on Saturday. Newcastle was a nice change but we wouldn’t want to make a habit of city sight seeing. Too many people about  :D

First impressions of our new cameras are good ones. Beefy has bought the timelapse app (of course) so expect some timelapses from his new camera over the next few weeks. Next weekend I am going to take the same photos with my old Sony and new one so I can see the difference between them  :)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR A visit to Newcastle upon Tyne Sat 20 Feb 16
« Reply #1 on: 21:00:31, 22/02/16 »
great stuff Ape ...  O0
cracking pics ya got there, you must have a great camera ...  ;D
Beefy with the Millenium Bridge behind
is that what ya calling it these days? me bums not that big ...  :D
was a bit different to our normal outings, but i enjoyed the glass of red in the pub,
shame about the food tho ...  :(
next time we go Italian ....  8)

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:12:57, 22/02/16 »
Great TR and very different from the norm, pics look good as well. Off to Newcastle in May for the Magic Weekend and staying on one side of the tyne bridge lol

Those osprey cases are nice.
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:02:39, 22/02/16 »
Great photos with your new camera April  -  nice and sharp and the colouring is good   :)   Enjoyed the TR too   :)   I'm a fan of urban walking, especially in the winter!

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:10:48, 23/02/16 »
Great pics, April  O0  I've never been to Newcastle, although it's been on my list of places to visit for a long time - must remedy that this year!  :)

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:57:30, 23/02/16 »
Lots of familiar views there April. Newcastle is a fantastic city and has the greatest range of take-aways, you can eat food from Andorra to Zanzibar ;D
Lightweight tents, swanky new cameras, you are getting very posh now ;D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:48:04, 23/02/16 »
next time we go Italian ....  8)

It's a bit too far away for a day trip  :D

Those osprey cases are nice.

They are very nice  :)

Great photos with your new camera April  -  nice and sharp and the colouring is good

Thanks Dovegirl, we are pleased with them  :)

Great pics, April  O0 

Cheers Adalard

you can eat food from Andorra to Zanzibar

Or cold baked potatoes  ;D

Lightweight tents, swanky new cameras, you are getting very posh now ;D

We have always been very posh  ;D
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:20:35, 23/02/16 »
Beefy getting a new chopper? Is the old one worn out? ;D ;D ;D :2funny:
nice to see Newcastle-I been twice n liked it, the old baltic flour mill is v impressive.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:50:05, 23/02/16 »
Brings back good memories of the start of our Hadrians Wall walk in the summer (I never did write up a trip report  :-[ ). Wasn't looking forward much to the first day but the walk along the river was more interesting than we thought it would be. Had never been to Newcastle before but had a wander around the city the afternoon we arrived.  We had a great ITALIAN meal at Pani's Cafe!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:04:56, 23/02/16 »
Beefy getting a new chopper? Is the old one worn out?.

Beefy has a video of his new chopper in action  :)

Newcastle is a great city  :)

Brings back good memories of the start of our Hadrians Wall walk in the summer (I never did write up a trip report  :-[ ).

:) It is never too late to do one  :)

We had a great ITALIAN meal at Pani's Cafe!

There are some nice places to eat. We wish we'd gone to Portofino, an Italian restaurant I know well, very good food there  :)
Hate will never win

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:56:39, 24/02/16 »
Lovely pics April.  I haven't been to Newcastle since I was about 10 years old in the 1950's, so probably wouldn't recognise it now.  I can remember I used to love going to Exhibition Park to sail my model yacht on the boating lake.  It's probably had a tower block or multi-storey car park built on it now!

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:08:33, 24/02/16 »
There are some nice places to eat. We wish we'd gone to Portofino, an Italian restaurant I know well, very good food there  :)

Ive just checked this out April and it looks very good, i might have to book me and Mrs R in for a meal as its just over the over side of the bridge from our Hotel  O0

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:34:30, 24/02/16 »

When will that be posted on here?   :o :o

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:43:38, 24/02/16 »
I can remember I used to love going to Exhibition Park to sail my model yacht on the boating lake.  It's probably had a tower block or multi-storey car park built on it now!

It is still there and was refurbished a year or so ago, I believe  :) I remember going as a child to Exhibition Park and Leazes Park as well  :)

Ive just checked this out April and it looks very good, i might have to book me and Mrs R in for a meal as its just over the over side of the bridge from our Hotel  O0

Beware the anger of Mrs R  ;D There is a steep climb up Dean Street from the Quayside  :)

When will that be posted on here?   :o :o

Beefy is in a pub in the Peak District as I type this. Once he has sobered up he might post it  :D

Hate will never win

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:19:46, 24/02/16 »

Beware the anger of Mrs R  ;D There is a steep climb up Dean Street from the Quayside  :)

Beefy is in a pub in the Peak District as I type this. Once he has sobered up he might post it  :D

Thanks for the heads up April  O0

Nice one Beefy, have a beer for me mate  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy