Author Topic: Tips for Ireland  (Read 1419 times)

eskoo

Tips for Ireland
« on: 14:00:23, 07/03/16 »
Hi there,

I'm  planning our fourth 4-6 days hiking in UK and this time the destination will be Ireland. We are flying from Helsinki so we will probably take the train from Dublin to somewhere. This far we have done South Downs Way, The Dales Way and then some hiking in Swaledale area. So as you can probably notice, we are fans of nice moors and little villages. Usually we do 80-120 km in five days. So 10-20 km / day distances are normal, one day can be longer (last time we had over 35km in one day and after that only 8km in one day).

What footpaths would you recommend for us? If there is some interesting places with history etc., those are also interesting ones. Nice villages during the journey are necessary for us :). If you can provide some websites that has good information, that would be also lovely. I googled some but didn't find any that good yet!

Thanks in advance.
Esko

henryb

• Veteran Member
Re: Tips for Ireland
« Reply #1 on: 15:30:09, 08/03/16 »
Maybe this link may help:http://www.kerryway.com/trail-description/index.php?

eskoo

« Reply #2 on: 06:46:34, 09/03/16 »
Thanks Henryb,

Which part would you recommend especially as the whole trail is bit too much in our schedule. We would need to get to strating point via public transport from Dublin and  we would appreciate overnight stays in nice villages as we are not taking tents probably with us.

Otherwise, Kerry way seems to be very nice trail!

BR,
Esko

Stephen Mac

« Reply #3 on: 09:43:43, 09/03/16 »
 :o The Kerry way would be good but also the Beara Way is worth a look. It is one of my favourite places in Ireland. Lots of options for B&Bs on the way and you can tailor the distances to suit you. Also have a look at getting across to Connemara. A wonderful wild place. Just a small little point...Ireland isn't in the UK. If you need further tips or more detailed advice contact me and I will do what I can to help. Stephen

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:08:22, 09/03/16 »
Cant help with any routes but if you havent been before you have to try the Guinness  8)  it doesnt travel very well so tastes even better when in the Emerald Isle  :)
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:06:25, 09/03/16 »
http://www.irishtrails.ie/National_Waymarked_Trails/ maybe this link may also help. If I'm being honest, I've only done one or two sections of the Kerry Way but I would recommend a visit to Torc mountain.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy