Author Topic: TR - Aonach Eagach Ridge  (Read 8496 times)

domtheone

• Veteran Member
TR - Aonach Eagach Ridge
« on: 08:24:01, 27/04/16 »
Dave (Rhino) and I travelled up to Scotland last Thursday afternoon to join Stuart (midweekmountain) for 2 days of walking/scrambling.

Thursday night we stayed at a superb climbing hut in the town of Kinlochleven that Stuart had kindly arranged. O0

The place was huge (a real Tardis) with multiple dorms, lounge, real fire, 2 kitchens etc etc.  It felt even bigger since we had the whole place to ourselves!

Friday 7am and we set off for walk number 1 which would be the famous grade 1/2 Aonach Eagach ridge.  We took 2 cars since it was a linear walk so that saved us having to walk miles back to the car once we had traversed the ridge.

I had some reservations about the ridge from what I’d read/youtubed.  Nevertheless, it turned out to be nowhere near as scary as I envisaged and, thankfully, there were to be no shaky knees today. ;D 

We had 1 or 2 minor issues here and there (including a slightly tricky climb down near the start) but Stuart was always on hand to offer advice/guidance.  I think we did have some rope as a backup but it wasn’t needed.

Straight from the off, it was a steep climb up to the ridge proper with around 2500 ft. of ascent required just to reach the start of the ridge! :o

Some pics of the walk

The welcome committee at the start of the climb up.

The path was steep so height was gained very quick.

Still a long way up!

At the top of the initial climb up to the ridge, we met 2 guys who had camped out overnight.  Not a bad location!

Looking down one of the steep gully’s

Looking across the ridge.  Mile after mile of awesomeness :)

Dave with Ben Nevis in the background.  Cloud just covering the summit.  For now…....

Yours truly

Checking out the next section

Don’t look left Dave ;D

Photo time

Approaching a real up and down section

Pause for thought

And on we go again

Zoomed in on Ben Nevis and the CMD.  Gotta do that sometime :D

Superb views down the Pass of Glencoe

Skirting round the outside here and there

Can't remember where this was but i'm pretty sure you don't want to fall at this point ;D

Stuart and the final summit (i think!), top right

On we go

Another steep down section

And up

and up..

and up!

What goes up, must come down

And then obviously back up again ;D

A look back

The boys coming up another steep section

Almost there.  What's the view like Stuart :) 

Looking back along the ridge. 

Few paragliders out today

Heading towards the end of the ridge

Almost down now.  Glencoe in the background.

Looking back up.  The picture doesn’t do it justice.  A horribly steep (scree at times) descent of around 3000ft.  I hated it!

Walk stats recorded on the Garmin were:
Total time of 7hrs 27 mins 
Total ascent 1250M (4101ft)
Total distance 7.31 miles

The sheer length of the ridge alone would be enough to catapult it towards the top of “best ever ridge walk/scrambles” for me. 

It’s not all up and down, scrambling every 2 seconds and standing on the edge of a 2000ft drop.  The ridge is pretty wide for a good chunk of time, allowing you to amble along and admire the 360 degree views for hour after hour.

In summary, a superlative ridge walk with magnificent (constantly) views (helped by the lovely weather) all around.  Will definitely be back to do this one again 8)  Maybe even in winter :o :D

Day 2 would have to be pretty special to top this……

If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

sparnel

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Aonach Eagach Ridge
« Reply #1 on: 08:50:55, 27/04/16 »
Well done Dom!  Great trip report..........

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:01:49, 27/04/16 »
Excellent TR and stunning photos Dom but i noticed something strange about them a meet up with blue sky and no rain!! Well done i bet you are still buzzing mate

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:20:15, 27/04/16 »
Great photos, but I get vertigo just looking at some of them.  I know I will never get up there, so it's good to see the pictures.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:11:40, 27/04/16 »

Great TR Dom of a fantastic but hard day out on my first walk and scramble in Scotland not to mention my first Munros. Much better picture of the deer than I got mate and some great pictures for the album to remember that day for a long time to come  O0

What a fantastic part of Scotland this area is and so mountainous, i dont know most of the names but kind of think i will be learning them in the years to come.

The climbing huts were a real home from home with all the creature comforts and I could have spent another couple of hours sitting in front of the open fire drinking beer and scotch very easily on the Thursday night. Time just flew but luckily we did get to bed just before 12.30 and probably for the best with that day of scrambling.

Its always a bit nervous doing something for the first time but having Stuart there was a reassurance if anything got to tricky. Cant wait to go back and do it again at some point even with the big ascent and descent  :D

The self timer shot was at a bit of an angle as you said  ;D

That picture were I don’t want to fall is one of those pinnacles with a very bad exposure to my right in the picture. We stopped just before it looking for a route to the left which was just as bad and shat ourselves when Stuart popped his head round and said come on boys this way  :crazy2:  Funny you get really focused and forget the exposure when you get on it and just get on with it.

There is that much scrambling to be done it was about 2/3rds on when my palms started to get sore but I loved every minute of it and it made for a brilliant Day 1 and the best scrambling ive done in one sitting ever. What an introduction to Scotland  O0

In summary, a superlative ridge walk with magnificent (constantly) views (helped by the lovely weather) all around.  Will definitely be back to do this one again 8)  Maybe even in winter :o :D   

O0  couldnt agree more and is that a date for winter  8)

Day 2 would have to be pretty special to top this……

Is that possible Dom  8)
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

gable man

« Reply #5 on: 12:28:43, 27/04/16 »
 You lucky [censored] what a fantastic day you all had whish I could have been on the ridge with you Fantastic TR Dom with superb photos.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:57:15, 27/04/16 »
Stunning! What a fantastic day you had - well done. Dom - great write-up and brilliant photos. Wish I'd been there!

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:07:32, 27/04/16 »
A few more Pictures
Looking down the top of the ascent route

A look back to the first section of the scrambling

Dom looking over at Ben Nevis and the CMD

A bit of the path section

Im Loving It

Dom climbing out of one of the gully ascents

Stuart making his way up

Approaching the pinnacles

Dom on what looks an easy section

What you cant see to his left

One of the easier climb downs

One of the harder climb downs

The last climb out of the pinnacles

A look back along the ridge

A look back up the horrible steep rocky scree section
« Last Edit: 17:12:08, 27/04/16 by Rhino »

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:34:31, 27/04/16 »
Excellent photos Dave loved the obligatory just before the ridge selfie

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:35:06, 27/04/16 »
Ta Luke  O0  i was enjoying it so had to capture the look on my face  :)

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:20:42, 27/04/16 »
Fantastic photos Domtheone, it is great when you get clear days like this. Your second photo - doesn't that look similar to Honister crag and Mellbreak in the background in the Lakes from Dale Head ascent?

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:01:00, 27/04/16 »
Ta Luke  O0  i was enjoying it so had to capture the look on my face  :)
A picture speaks a thousand words

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:27:20, 27/04/16 »
What a fantastic day O0  Superb pics and Brilliant TR.  
Stuart was spot on when he described Scotland as "like the Lakes but on steroids"  ;D

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:56:16, 27/04/16 »
Dom, (and Dave's extras) - one of the best TRs I've read. Excellent stuff - go straight to the top of the class !
The weather you guys had looked fabulous - does Stuart charge 'guide' fees   ;D  - or is it paid in kind = beer !

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 06:54:54, 28/04/16 »
Great stuff you two. I hope you've left something for us to do in June.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy