Author Topic: C2C in 2017  (Read 23360 times)

Mick wmexile

Re: C2C in 2017
« Reply #105 on: 18:26:28, 16/05/17 »
Well done ladies (Alewife, Mountain girl), nice to know you enjoyed your walk. The thing I would like to ask you though, why didn't you leave nice weather in the Lake District. I've just arrived in Shap after two of the hardest walking days I've ever done. The weather yesterday (Borrowdale to Patterdale) was relentless rain throughout the day, fells were shrouded in mist, no views whatsoever, the flat section past Greenup Edge was a swamp, dozens of walkers wandering around aimlessly trying to get over water channels gushing everywhere. Reaching the White Lion in Patterdale I spoke to a number of people who reached Grasmere, gave it neck  and got transport to Patterdale. I was seriously giving thought whether to abondon today's walk, no improvement in weather, but I arranged to walk with two walkers I met. Today we also had very high winds at times on the tops. Most disappointment of cause was missing wonderful views, oh well, some you win some you lose. Roll on tomorrow😎
« Last Edit: 19:01:27, 16/05/17 by Mick wmexile »
I never get lost, just don't always know where I am!

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #106 on: 23:19:47, 16/05/17 »
Mick that sounds exactly like our C2C weather. Alewife and mountaingirl were very lucky, I doubt there's many that don't need their waterproofs at least once on the walk! Just remember it's your C2C, you don't need to follow a specific route so you can always change it depending on the weather. From Patterdale we walked up Ullswater and over the moors to avoid Kidsty Pike in extreme high winds rather than have to abandon during the day.

Mountaingirl

« Reply #107 on: 10:31:19, 17/05/17 »
I can only imagine, doing C2C in bad weather.  I've been to the lakes at least 8 times, and only this one was sunny all the time. 8th time lucky! The last time I went, the whole week except the first day was wash off, lower paths were flooded and impassable, higher paths were shrouded in fog and mist. And so, I had a fare share of bad weather.
On the way up to Greenup Edge, I saw several paths and veered off track a bit. If it was wet, as you say, they could be all streams. Because it was clear, I managed to see the fence posts to where we should be heading. Lucky for us, we sat for lunch reaching Greenup Edge and went on to have fantastic views on the ridge walk. Next day, (we divided into 2 days to make it even easier :P ) as we approached from Grasmere to Grisedale Tarn, the wind picked up and over the Tarn, it was rrrrrreally windy :o . I wanted to stop and put more clothes on, but if I stopped, I would have been blown off.  I would have liked to go over St Sunday Crag, as I have been to Helvellyn twice already. But it didn't look safe to do so in that wind. I was glad it wasn't raining, or it would have hurt! Same for Kidsty Pike. It was very windy. But as it was clear, I had the last look of the Lakes to say goodby.

Hope the weather improves a bit for you. At least you have 2 companions. Nice thing about C2C is that you keep bumping into same people again and again on the path and at accomo, and built such comradely.  Especially, at this time of year, usual tourists may wait until a little later. And waterfalls would look better in the rain ;)

TinTin

« Reply #108 on: 10:29:18, 18/05/17 »
Reached RHB mid afternoon yesterday. Was very glad to see it even in the pouring rain, the last 5 or 6 miles each of the last 4 days had started to grind. Weather gods certainly turned against me for the last 3 days, heavy rain and mist right across the Cleveland Hills and North York Moors, no views whatsoever, no photo opportunities but sadly that wasn't an issue as the rain also managed to kill my phone which probably will mean all my photos from the previous 7 days are also lost  :(
Even so had a fantastic 10 days, met some great characters and if I had been given the option of 7 days glorious weather through the Lakes and Dales (well 6 1/2 had a bit of rough weather on Saturday morning at 9 standards) followed by 3 days of dismal weather at the end, I would have taken that no question  O0
 Congrats to the ladies and glad you enjoyed it as much as me, fingers crossed for Mick, hopefully weather improves.   

Mountaingirl

« Reply #109 on: 11:52:42, 18/05/17 »
Well done Tin Tin, congrat! O0  Nine Standards was very windy for us too. Hope your camera will dry up and come back to life again.
 First sunny day back home today. I might go for an afternoon walk with local group to wind down - very flat and tame.  I bet sun is shining on Mick too. 8)
« Last Edit: 12:07:51, 18/05/17 by Mountaingirl »

TinTin

« Reply #110 on: 12:10:54, 18/05/17 »
Thanks mountaingirl - I'm not walking anywhere today  :)

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #111 on: 15:32:04, 18/05/17 »

Have a good rest then start thinking about doing it backwards.

How can you see where you're going?
~
Sue

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #112 on: 23:23:51, 18/05/17 »

How can you see where you're going?

The new generation rucksacks with wing mirrors on the shoulder straps   :D  Trouble is you never know whether you are coming or going.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Mick wmexile

« Reply #113 on: 18:18:18, 19/05/17 »
Things are getting better weather wise, just finished 2 nice days walking, Kirkby Stephen to Keld and Keld to Reeth. Being only short distances had plenty of time to take in views. Took the high route from Keld, loved the climb after Crackpot Hall but until you dropped down back into Swalesdale it gets a bit monotonous. Short walk to Richmond tomorrow, meeting up with friends for a night out then on Sunday a long walk to Osmotherley  O0
I never get lost, just don't always know where I am!

C2C10

• Veteran Member
« Reply #114 on: 10:18:38, 20/05/17 »
I'm staying at the Lion Inn, this Monday. If, I see you, I'll buy you a pint. Just doing a bit of cycling, so probably see a few coast to coast walkers on my way to Reeth.

bobdole

« Reply #115 on: 16:51:28, 16/10/17 »
Will be doing the C2C May 18. Can you please share your stopping points each day? and where you stayed? Just starting to plan my trip. Thanks
Follow me on my hikes and watch old hikes I have completed.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrPMQRA4-rZiec21396zeVQ

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #116 on: 20:56:42, 16/10/17 »
For me, off the train, started walking, first night camping outside pub in Ennerdale Bridge. Second night in Rosthwaite, third in Patterdale, fourth in Shap, Kirkby Stephens. I'm doing this from memory so hope I've spelt it all correctly. At the moment, can't remember the rest, it will come to me later.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy