Author Topic: here's a ?  (Read 4997 times)

Crag Rat

Re: here's a ?
« Reply #15 on: 22:21:07, 25/04/07 »
Hi there, Crag Rat,

I thought "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" was fantastic, have you happened across Krakauer's "Into the Wilderness" before - his account of the life and death of Chris McCandless?

I found this book so invigorating I read it in a single sitting  :o

Regards

Not tried that one - I'm pretty well read on the classic climbing accounts but not this one.  I'll give it a go some time.
....because it's there....

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:52:35, 26/04/07 »
Sorry, Crag Rat

That book was titled "Into the Wild", and it's not actually a mountaineering book.  It's about a youg man who becomes disillusioned with his middle class, American life and decides to live like a tramp in  the backwaters of the States.  He becomes obssessed with living a natural, simple life, and an over-reading of Jack london eventually finds him trying to live of the land in Alaska (think a poorly trained Ray Mears) where he ends up dying of starvation.

It's a truly awe-inspiring book, Krakauer was fascinated with McCandless and "Into the Wild" was the result.  I reccomend it to everyone!  :o

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:37:31, 17/09/07 »
Here a question for you if you could meet up with a famous walker who would it be and why

Mine would have to be Sir Hugh Munro.
;D definatley NOT fRED THE WEATHERMAN DOING HIS WAINWRIGHT WALKS,  by the way did anybody know his boyfriend was jimmy corkhill out of brookside,  uninteresting bit of info, Sorry.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

myzeneye

« Reply #18 on: 21:44:47, 17/09/07 »
darksy, thats just nasty.

this is quite an old thread as i recall and since last looking at it ive read Aaronn Ralstons book "between a rock and a hard place"...... that too is nasty. ???

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:56:16, 17/09/07 »
 :-\  WHY AM I NASTY, it was abit of harmless fun, if ive miss understood i apolagise but i think your avin ago at me are'nt you?
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:08:08, 18/09/07 »
darksy, thats just nasty.

this is quite an old thread as i recall and since last looking at it ive read Aaronn Ralstons book "between a rock and a hard place"...... that too is nasty. ???
HI MYZENEYE.., i don't understand why you think I'm being nasty? could you elaborate please,thankyou..DARKSKY

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:30:47, 12/10/07 »
Ah ... but why??

Mine would have to be John Hillerby (because he used to hiking in tennis shoes!!)

Or .. John Merrill, because he was demon walker, and had a great beard!  ;D
Having been to the Lakes recently we often nip into the dog and gun in keswick and stumbled across this  article in the pub Boxing gloves and roller skates a gay climbed for a bet .  There's a newspaper clipping on the wall at if you walk to the end of the bar and look to your left you will see it. he did this for a £20 bet and it carried on from here.   he did conservation work on Scarfell pike.  Although  the article made me laugh when i read it.  A rather cheeky looking chap called Ray McHaffie.. Here's a link

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20051222/ai_n15943730

« Last Edit: 13:16:04, 14/10/07 by walkinggirluk »
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

particleman

« Reply #22 on: 09:45:48, 14/10/07 »
I suppose it would be Bill Bryson.  A walk in the woods gains him access to this list, but It's not really why I've nominated him.

I like that when he wrote his 'Notes from a Small Island' he visited one of the pubs I used to frequent as a student (Philharmonic Dining Halls, Hope Street, Liverpool).    Reading between the lines he and Alexi Sayle got smashed on all the real ales there so he should make a good walking companion!

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:59:29, 16/10/07 »
I suppose it would be Bill Bryson.  A walk in the woods gains him access to this list

Ey, I've met Bill Bryson!  He was receiving an honorary degree here in Hull, and I asked him to sign my copy of "Notes From A Small Island".  He did.  Admitedly, not a classic anecdote, but there you go ..  ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy