Author Topic: Question about Carreg yr Ogof  (Read 3463 times)

clyoung

• Veteran Member
Question about Carreg yr Ogof
« on: 10:14:01, 02/10/16 »
One of the walks I'm planning to do to takes in Carreg yr Ogof on Mynydd Du. I like to find something special about each walk to appeal to my sons and wondered how safe it is to explore the cave on Carreg yr Ogof. A caving site I found said no tackle was required - does that mean no kit at all? Has anyone tried it?

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Re: Question about Carreg yr Ogof
« Reply #1 on: 10:48:28, 02/10/16 »
I've passed it a couple of times but not entered, not that straightforward to find. To be honest though, the twin huge hollowed out cairns on nearby Garreg Las are far more interesting and a great wind shelter. I've approached them from the Waun Lefrith end and from Garreg Lwyd with the latter being the more interesting as you walk over a limestone pavement.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:03:48, 02/10/16 »
I should add that the entrance is not very big, not quite a crawl but more of a low stoop, you will get dirty.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:55:36, 02/10/16 »
Thanks Phil. I like the sound of the cairns, not so sure of their appeal to the boys compared to a messy cave! My plan was to approach from Garreg Las so good to hear that's an interesting approach.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:48:44, 02/10/16 »
If you start from the car park just above Herbert's Quarry, coming from Brynamman (middle car park marked on map), you take in Garreg Lwyd and Foel Fraith, then descending there is another cave, hard to spot but this is a crawl. Then as you climb toward Godre'r Garreg Las you walk over the limestone pavement, it's amazing. Up to you how you return, but there is an unmarked path over Cefn Y Truman, past some waterfalls and going through the interesting disused Herbert's Quarry, kids will love that  O0

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:30:21, 02/10/16 »
If you start from the car park just above Herbert's Quarry, coming from Brynamman (middle car park marked on map), you take in Garreg Lwyd and Foel Fraith, then descending there is another cave, hard to spot but this is a crawl. Then as you climb toward Godre'r Garreg Las you walk over the limestone pavement, it's amazing. Up to you how you return, but there is an unmarked path over Cefn Y Truman, past some waterfalls and going through the interesting disused Herbert's Quarry, kids will love that  O0

That's pretty much what I'd plotted in Viewranger as our route. Good to have it recommended.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:41:56, 02/10/16 »
Just be careful with them doing any climbing about in the Quarry, it's all very loose. There are a few paths through the Quarry but they all lead to the car park.

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:34:49, 05/10/16 »
Mmm that sounds pretty cool, not been there, have to add to my to do list  O0

Things I've done in the last year with my young uns that might appeal for other outings for you and yours are a walk around Craig y Cilau (it's a nice walk up from Crickhowell) which included a visit to Eglwys Faen cave which has a large chamber that is easy to access without any gear other than a torch.

Also the disused railway tunnels at Gellifelen add some interest, it can be combined with a walk round Cwm Clydach. Good for a day when you want/need to keep off the hill tops.
Enjoy every sandwich

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:56:24, 05/10/16 »
Just read a bit about Carreg yr Ogof. Sounds like to access the main chamber is a low crawly bit. I'd probably want a helmet on before tackling it, it's very easy to crack your head on the roof above you even if you're being careful.

Enjoy every sandwich

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:32:49, 05/10/16 »

Things I've done in the last year with my young uns that might appeal for other outings for you and yours are a walk around Craig y Cilau (it's a nice walk up from Crickhowell) which included a visit to Eglwys Faen cave which has a large chamber that is easy to access without any gear other than a torch.

Also the disused railway tunnels at Gellifelen add some interest, it can be combined with a walk round Cwm Clydach. Good for a day when you want/need to keep off the hill tops.
The tunnels are bricked up now sadly, but I managed to get through before they had finished. Walks in the Clydach Gorge are disturbed at the moment due to the duelling of the A465. Craig y Cilau is full of interest with many caves  O0

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:57:42, 05/10/16 »
Have the tunnels both been closed again then Phil? (I know they were both closed for a while)

We went last November and one was open, we walked through, because of the bend in the tunnel you can't see the far end so in the middle it's proper dark, if you turn your torch off.

I think the plan is to make the tunnel part of the cycle route.

The logs on the geocache placed in the tunnel seem to suggest it's still open too.

You're right about the road works though our route wasn't as straightforward as it might have been, still made a good outing though.
Enjoy every sandwich

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:03:14, 05/10/16 »
Ah you may be right then, it was a while back and both tunnels were in the process of being bricked up, I got through because they weren't working on a weekend, good idea if a cycle way is planned. The old ironworks is worth a visit nearby.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:31:10, 05/10/16 »

Thanks for the tips.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:32:31, 05/10/16 »
Just read a bit about Carreg yr Ogof. Sounds like to access the main chamber is a low crawly bit. I'd probably want a helmet on before tackling it, it's very easy to crack your head on the roof above you even if you're being careful.

Maybe not then...

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:35:35, 05/10/16 »
Ah you may be right then, it was a while back and both tunnels were in the process of being bricked up, I got through because they weren't working on a weekend, good idea if a cycle way is planned. The old ironworks is worth a visit nearby.

Do either of you know when all the works will be finished? It's on my list of low level walks to do but I'd rather pick a good time to go.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy