Author Topic: energy gels and bars for the old county tops walk  (Read 2898 times)

rammy

Wondering if anyone may be able help please.
Doing the Old County Tops fell race route next week. [as a walk] Its around 36 miles.
I've decided to try the SIS energy bars and gels.
I've done the 3000's and County Tops before, but have felt sick on normal food, and ended up walking on restricted food intake, so hoping they may boost my energy and settle my poor old guts.
Was wondering if anyone has tried them and how often they need to be taken {generally}
Thank you in advance
Rammy

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
Re: energy gels and bars for the old county tops walk
« Reply #1 on: 20:10:42, 02/10/16 »
I use the gels sometimes when cycling and they do give a definite boost. My mate ran a marathon earlier in the year and he used them on that..
According to the sachet you can take 3 an hour but I assume that level is aimed at your more athletic types who are working hard. I can't see any medical reason for not shovelling them in - they're just like liquid jelly babies really I suppose.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:20:25, 03/10/16 »
I have used Shot Bloks (made by Clif - as in Clif bars) - which are jelly blocks. Haven't done the distance you are aiming for but I found these kept me going in combination with one of those water additive/energy drinks called Tailwind.
The Tailwind didn't taste especially nice but I had a selection of flavours used over a period of time and some were better than others. One sachet diluted into a large Sigg bottle.
Because I didn't have any problems I am inclined to believe they worked - they certainly were kind on your stomach and I did feel energised throughout all the walks I did.
It wasn't until after my longest walk that I discovered the shot blok in gel form, otherwise I would have given that a go.
Both these were recommended by somebody who was in training for a triathlon and who later this year also completed a Ironman challenge with the odd half/marathon thrown in for good measure (as training). She used them on the Ironman, so that seems a pretty good recommendation.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:51:02, 03/10/16 »
Although I haven't used SIS energy bars, I have taken a variety of others on my trips and one thing they all say in the small print on the wrapper is don't eat more than a couple a day as "excessive consumption can have a laxative effect". Consequently I limit myself to one at lunchtime and one as a dessert after my evening meal.

I'm curious that you wrote that you "have felt sick on normal food". Could this be due to anxiety and nerves, which used to affect me in a similar way in my early days od multiple-day walks?

pmerryman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:48:57, 04/10/16 »
I have used them whilst running along with their energy bars. I'd probably stick with flapjacks, jelly babies, wine gums, and Kendal mint cake for your walk. They can be quite pricey the SIS.
Paul

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:19:47, 04/10/16 »
Used to take SIS gels but gave up on them a while back.

Not so great taste and bad customer service.

These are my faves now.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/torq-gel-sachets-15x45g/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360776568&kpid=5360776568&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Nutrition&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7CsSsunzkEv_dt%7Cpcrid%7C67090789982%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7Cprd%7C5360776568uk

Taste fantastic. O0   Better than any other gels i've tried.

Very pricey so only use 1-2 on a long walk now.
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

rammy

« Reply #6 on: 15:26:32, 05/10/16 »
Thank you for all the replies.    
I've already ordered the bars and gels, so I'm committed to that brand. Think I overdosed on sugar and carbs.  re feeling sick{flapjack} so I'm trying to balance it out, hence the gels and bars.   :crazy2:    
Hopefully it will give me the boost I need..   ;) 8)

[size=0pt]  

[size=0pt]  

rammy

« Reply #7 on: 17:40:13, 09/10/16 »
Walk complete.
Gels gave me stomach cramps grrr
Have the GPX route if ayone needs it.
I did it in reverse from Grasmere, turned out to be 38.2 miles.
Thanks for the help, going to see if I can train my old guts, with the gels.
If not they are heading for the bin..lol.. ;D

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:43:42, 09/10/16 »
How did walkers get on before all these "energy" products?

You can have your energy bars and your gels, I'll continue with my pork pies, sausage rolls.

"I'm looking forward to reaching the summit and having a break and an energy bar for lunch" ...said no one ever  :D
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:25:37, 10/10/16 »
Bounties for me O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:58:07, 10/10/16 »
I have carried actual real Jelly bars that you make Jelly from, Fruit Gums and a small bottle of squeezy honey in a zip-lock bag. (Anyone who uses Honey knows why the zip-lock bag). Much cheaper than gels, together they do much the same job. (Except that there is a cheapy shop in Grantham that sells gels for 20p a sachet which I sometimes get tempted into buying.)
Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:47:05, 10/10/16 »
...I've done the 3000's and County Tops before, but have felt sick on normal food, and ended up walking on restricted food intake, ...

When you say felt sick, can I ask, how much (quantity) was you eating at any one time?  The reason I ask is, if I'm working hard physically, and I eat too much in one go, I feel sick.  I have to eat little and often - sort of trickle-feed - during my walk to stop this.  I never feel hungry but I never feel full either.

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:45:02, 11/10/16 »
I use energy gels when cycling. Purely because they are a good product and I have limited space in my back pouches so gels are easy to carry. Whilst walking I carry a couple for emergency use but would carry something like flapjack squares. You have more room in your Rucksac and they work out a lot cheaper.

A hint or tip if you like is to use the energy gels or flapjack before you need it. Don't use them as an energy recovery product. For example many people will climb a hill and have a jel at the top. This is the wrong use and is recovery. What you should do is eat it whilst climbing and showing signs of lagging in energy.

Say for example you were climbing two hills that day. You manage to climb hill one without the need for any energy but at the summit you feel a bit tired. As you walk down hill your body will naturally recover. Don't have the gel at the first summit. Wait until you descend and have it before you start the ascent of the second hill.

If you take the gel at the top of the first hill your body won't naturally recover. It will cheat and use the ready source from the gel. This means when you start your ascent you have probably already used up the energy given from the gel and would require another.

It's the same with flapjack. Eat it on ascents. Then let your body naturally recover on descents and feed again before and on the climb.  It means you eat less and you also allow your body to act naturally. 
BURN FAT NOT OIL

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy