Author Topic: Walking/Hiking in France  (Read 3121 times)

Paulr

• Veteran Member
Walking/Hiking in France
« on: 13:43:06, 11/10/16 »
Hi,

Will be emigrating to France in Spring next year and wonderd if anyone had experience of walking in France.

Basic info like do they have the equivalent of OS maps, general access to land etc

Anything appreciated - thanks in advance
The worlds most boring blog : http://fatscotsgit.blogspot.co.uk/

alewife

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking/Hiking in France
« Reply #1 on: 14:08:45, 11/10/16 »
No.

But they do have a growing number of pathways as more and more areas introduce walking paths, which are generally well-marked. Someone will come on and tell you how to find out where they are:I just have experience of walking with people who already know of paths for us to use.

Where are you going to be living?
« Last Edit: 14:11:56, 11/10/16 by alewife »
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Paulr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:30:02, 11/10/16 »
Thanks alewife,

I know there are walking clubs dotted around the place and I will be seeking them out (as long as they are not full of expats bleating on about the £/€ rate or the inability to get a decent cup of tea - I wonder what French for whinging Poms is ??)

Will be moving to the SW corner of Dordogneshire to a house that needs loads of work but theres lots of countryside out there to be explored so will have at least one day a week allocated to exploring

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:24:52, 11/10/16 »
I imagine the local tourist office may have a booklet of walks in the area, often with a sort of map included but just giving an outline of the paths, rather than a great deal od detail, but with the markings they use, should be easy to follow.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:33:40, 11/10/16 »
Hi,

Will be emigrating to France in Spring next year and wonderd if anyone had experience of walking in France.

Basic info like do they have the equivalent of OS maps, general access to land etc

Anything appreciated - thanks in advance

They do indeed IGN maps - on a par with OS and there is a mapping app called Bayo IIRC which used to come bundled with them if you bought a map disc.
Solvitur Ambulando

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:34:04, 11/10/16 »
Yes, buy IGN maps, although I have to confess I have never used a map in France and have never bought one. Whenever I hike in France I just use my SityTrail app, all the GR routes are clearly marked and dead easy to follow even as I found out last year in dense fog. The app helped me around the Tour du Mont Blanc, The Stevenson Way, the GR10 across the Pyrenees and across the centre of the country a couple of months ago. The most extensive site on line that I have used for GR route planning is www.gr-infos.com.

It is my experience that France has 1000s of miles of footpaths, everywhere across the whole country!

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:44:14, 11/10/16 »
A company called Didier Richard based in Grenoble used to publish a full range of walking maps with routes overprinted, by that I mean not necessarily trails, differentiated by a solid line, a broken line, and a line of little crosses to indicate the degree of seriousness.  I have an almost complete series for the French alps, now looking a little tattered.  Major French gear shops offer an online sales service.  I will check back to suggest names.  But as suggested, the official maps are very good and probably more up to date.  I can usually suggest walks in most areas of France.

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:18:05, 11/10/16 »
I've learnt something too. I didn't know of IGN maps before. I might take a look myself.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:56:48, 11/10/16 »
I've learnt something too. I didn't know of IGN maps before. I might take a look myself.

When I lived there I used IGN maps and software in exactly the same way as I use OS maps and MemoryMap or Basecamp now. IGN maps are available in 1:25000 (blue cover) or 1:100000 (green cover).  The Legend/key is in both English and French too.
Most of my walking was in the Pyrenees with rare excursions to the Alps. It was interesting to see the difference in quality of mapping when routes crossed the border and IGN had to use Spanish mapping.
Solvitur Ambulando

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 00:06:34, 12/10/16 »
The main walking areas usually offer very good free full colour guides, just go to the tourist office.  Many trails also have continuous signing in the form of the ubiquitous white and red paint markings.  Especially at critical turns.  And the local bookshop will have shelves full of independent guides.  Actually walkers are far better served over there.

Paulr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:57:26, 12/10/16 »
Brilliant - thanks folks will seek all these out

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy