Author Topic: Cairngorms Jolly  (Read 2891 times)

snoopdawg

Cairngorms Jolly
« on: 19:50:18, 16/10/16 »

Monday 3rd Oct.
Glen tilt.

Monday morning train from Newcastle. It was the usual stressful time to get to the 8.42 train up to Edinburgh. When you live south of the Tyne, Newcastle can be a pain to get into as you have cross one of the bridges and the approaches can be rammed at this time of the morning and so it proved again this morning resulting in me getting into Newcastle for about 8.25 and then running the last 1/2 mile into the station. Think I might start using Durham!
Got to Edinburgh and then the Inverness connection without issue and I was in Blair Atholl for just after midday. After a light lunch I was up and into Glen tilt via old Blair. the weather was decent if windy and I was down to t shirt and gilet. I knew where I was going to camp, a place I'd used before about 2 miles past Forest Lodge and about an hr walking short of the Bedford bridge. I was there around 4.30pm and pitched up for the night. Pitching up the tent I found I was a tent peg short and had to use a boulder to peg out a guyline as the wind was gusting up the glen. I recalled my last camp, last month at a midgie ridden camp at Lochan fada and a hurried pack up in the morning.

Tuesday 4th Oct
Glen Tilt To Braemar.

Had a restless sleep the night before as the wind had gusted all night and I think I only slept in short spells. Packed up early as I was walking 18 miles albeit level into Braemar. Got to the Bedford bridge in 1 hr and then onwards towards Bynack lodge. I had only been this way 5 yrs ago but couldn't remember the sections where the path passes through the gorge and then into open moorland to Bynack lodge. Got to the Geldie and was able to cross boots on and remain dry. Continued on to The White Bridge, Linn of Dee and then the back road through Mar Lodge estate before booking into the Braemar Lodge bunkhouse for the night. At £16 its the cheapest I've had for a while

Wednesday 5th Oct.
Braemar to Callater stables.

The plan for today was to go over Jocks road and then either camp in glen Clova or go over Broad cairn and down to Loch Muick to camp or bothy. As it turned out I did neither. I walked up the road to glen Callater and then upwards to Callater stables. Going up the glen the wind began to strengthen and by the time I got to the bothy was strong and gusting, dark clouds hovered overheard and I didn't fancy the higher route over Jocks road and didn't like the thought of having to camp in Glen Clova or going Jocks road and Broad Cairn. The bothy was very inviting so in I went and stayed there all day, having to jam a spade behind the door to stop the wind blowing in.

Thursday 6th Oct.
Callater Stables to Braemar.

Getting up the next morning the wind was just as strong so I went back into my sleeping bag for another hour. I realised I would have to adjust my plans as the longer plan had been Lock Muick, Invercauld, Loch Builg and Glen Avon before heading back to Aviemore. I hung around the bothy until about 11am, giving it a sweep out. The logical route seemed to be going back into Braemar and then heading west back to Aviemore over Fri/ Sat/Sun, so I headed back to Braemar and had a second lazy day going back to the Braemar lodge. Ironically as I walked the sun came out and it warmed up. The wind dropped in the glens but I could see the clouds racing over the hills so I assumed it was windy higher up.

Friday 7th Oct
Braemar to Hutchinson hut.

Walked the roadway up Victoria bridge, refusing the offer of a lift from a driver who stopped just as I got to Victoria bridge. Took the original route up to Derry Lodge. I had a look into Bob Scotts as I passed. Its an impressive bothy much bigger than I thought and still warm from the night before. Getting to Derry Lodge I saw notices pinned to the boarded up windows detailing plans for the building. I then headed up Glen Derry and got to the Hutchinson hut. It had been 1997 since I was last at the hut and I was impressed with the changes. The hut is in a magnificent situation. Then it been without a stove and had cold concrete walls. Sleeping bags were already lad out for 2 people returning so I claimed a floor space for the night. Inspection around the fire showed briquettes and burner logs so I went to light the stove. Upon opening the stove door I found to my disgust 4 rotten banana skins which I put into rubbish bag. Got the stove on and the small hut was quickly warmed through. Around 5pm two dutch students turned and then the 2 owners, also dutch, of the sleeping bags.

Saturday 8th Oct.

Hutchinson hut to corrour bothy

The next morning was excellent, windless and hardly a cloud in the sky. Went up the path to Loch Etchachan and dumped the pack then took the ascending path up Bheinn Mheadhion. This was a peak I was last on in 1997 with the Hutchie hut trip. I've still to do the Inn Pinn to compleat but I'm doing repeats of hills in the meantime for a second round. Got back down to the bag then started the ascending path up towards Ben Macdui. When I got to the shoulder I dumped the bag again and went across and onto Derry Cairngorm. I'd been on Derry Cairngorm in March/ April this year in a blizzard so it was nice to get a view. Returned to the sack and went up onto Ben Macdui, meeting the man who had offered me a left the day prior. He was Whiteburn off treklite who had camped out at Loch Avon. Descended towards the Taillear burn then went up onto Carn A Mhaim. I descended slightly NW then started to contour towards Corrour. As I descended I came across 3 males who to my astonishment asked me which hill they were on. I then dropped down onto the path to the bothy.Only the bottom bunk was taken so I put my gear on the top bunk. Around 5 the two owners of the gear on the bottom bunk turned up followed by a steady stream of people. Eventually there was 15 tents outside and inside us 3 and a father who had turned with his 4 young daughters and his dog. Being the Gent that I am I gave up the bunk for his children and I took a floor space

Sunday 9th Oct
Corrour bothy to Aviemore.

Last day and as usual the best weather wise. I was up and away for 8 and was on the Devils point col by 8.45. Dumped the sack and bagged the Devils point before making the long haul up to Cairn Toul. I'd done this ridge before N to S but in the clag so today was a bonus. Before going up onto Cairn Toul I had contoured around to the col between that and Angels peak and dumped the sack before ascending. Coming back down I failed to find the sack and searched for a panicky 10 mins before finding it. Continued on to the Angels Peak and then instead of going straight to Braeriach went up to the Einich Cairn and around to Braeriach. Descended to the Lairig for a welcome drink below the site of the old Sinclair. Then it was onwards for 7 miles to the bunkhouse in Aviemore.

Not the trip I had planned but still 81 miles done on this one and 8 munros with a pack so I am quite happy with what I did. Glen Avon will keep for the next one.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Cairngorms Jolly
« Reply #1 on: 22:11:02, 16/10/16 »
Amazing pictures  O0

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 04:40:59, 17/10/16 »
Great pictures, Snoopdawg, and sounds like you had a good trip, even if your plans did alter on the fly. Thanks for sharing, enjoyed the TR.  O0

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:37:05, 17/10/16 »
Very nice.

Looks a fabulous location.
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

Hedgetrimmer

« Reply #4 on: 11:53:26, 17/10/16 »
Good trip, I wish I was still fit enough to take my camping gear into the hills. I skirted around the Cairngorms on my motorcycle just over a week ago, but it's interesting to see what their true character is from your photos. The mountains seem to have a way of letting you get just a taste of what they have to offer each time you go, but never everything at once. Keeps you going back for more!

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:04:28, 17/10/16 »
Lovely photos SD  O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

snoopdawg

« Reply #6 on: 10:13:53, 19/10/16 »
Thanks for the comments. More than a week on and I still can't settle down. I wish I was still up there.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy