Author Topic: TR: Moel Eilio  (Read 15779 times)

Haggiseater

Re: TR: Moel Eilio
« Reply #15 on: 18:49:13, 23/10/16 »
Ah, the totally pointless stile - I remember it well !
I staggered up there and collapsed on it fearing I was drawing my last breath just over a year ago . As I gasped there recovering from my exertions, a young lad less than half my age came struggling up the slope huffing and puffing worse than I had been doing.
He was carrying his bike, to be fair.
He passed me later on the way down at Lord knows what speed on his bike.
I wondered if he felt the effort of the climb was worth it ?
Might do this walk again soon, I'm a wee bit fitter now so might not gasp for air quite so much.

videoman

« Reply #16 on: 22:52:25, 23/10/16 »
Great photos and TR. Last time I was up there I couldn't see anything for most of the walk due to low cloud and sat in the shelter for a few moments with nothing in sight and not a sound apart from the wind but still enjoyed it.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 23:35:41, 23/10/16 »
Cheers ljmeerkat - I did notice on the map that you could drop down to join the Snowdon Ranger path but thought that might be an adventure too much for me when I was planning my walk  ;D

Haggiseater - I feel your pain.  There is just that one bit that ramps up the steepness and seems to take forever  :-[

Cheers videoman - that summit shelter was a godsend, a bit of relief from the bitter wind that was blowing.  I was surprised how sheltered you are in there considering it has no roof.

PeakRambler

« Reply #18 on: 12:12:59, 25/10/16 »
Lovely TR and photos.

Moel Eilio, Llanberis, is on my tick list, along with the other Moel Eilio, which is further north east near Dolgarrog!

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 10:03:07, 27/10/16 »
Nice TR Mel.

Must admit, I had to google to see exactly where it was :-[  as i've not done any of the peaks in the immediate vicinity.
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 11:05:48, 27/10/16 »
Looks a bit bleak......you mean you forsake Yorkshire for that? ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 12:45:46, 27/10/16 »
Moel Elio is a very easy summit to climb, and has the added bonus of free adjacent safe car parking.
A walk that is really rewarding is a full circular traverse of Elio, Foel Gron, Foel Goch, and down to the start of the Snowdon Ranger Path.

Moel Elio is barely three miles distant from the summit of Snowdon, but it feels remote and off the beaten path.

Once one reaches the bottom of the Elio ridge, its merely a trudge up the Snowdon Ranger (taking in Snowdons summit is an option, but not essential) and then down the llanberis Path.

The distance looks considerable, but its less than eleven miles, a challenging traverse maybe, but very rewarding, with the added bonus of possibly the finest views of Snowdon.

With a mountain ever so close to Snowdon, fellow walkers are few and far between, but its a great day out.

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:30:53, 27/10/16 »

I think I'm experiencing deja vu.   ::) Must be my age or something.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 22:41:53, 27/10/16 »
I think I'm experiencing deja vu.   ::) Must be my age or something.
It must be Groundhog day Debs!! He really is an odd guy every TR he breaks into an odd ramble on his thoughts on a route or how lethal Tryfan is he is the Walking Forums answer to a question nobody asked!!

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:41:06, 28/10/16 »
There is nothing technical about Moel Elio, actually, its by far the easiest summit to reach in Northern Snowdonia.
The only reason it receives few visitors, is because like Elidir Fawr, its off the main tourist paths up Snowdon, and therefore gets neglected.

Ask virtually anyone walking up Snowdon any day of the year, to tell you where Moel Elio is, and they would have no idea, even though its clearly visible off to your right, above Llanberis. 8)

« Last Edit: 18:48:47, 28/10/16 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:44:03, 28/10/16 »
Great report and photos Mel. I'm actually thinking of a Welsh trip next year and these photos whetted my appetite, especially the summit ones O0

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:53:51, 28/10/16 »
 :P

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 19:14:14, 28/10/16 »
Peak Rambler - thanks, yes, I was aware of the "other" Moel Eilio when I found this one.  I plumped for this one cos I wanted to see Snowdon up close and personal.  Give it time and you'll be up in them there hills again  O0

Cheer Dom - aye, you'd probably overlook this one in favour of the gnarly stuff you and the 3 amigos like  :)

Pleb - Bleak?  I can assure you it was far from bleak.

DA - Thanks, glad you enjoyed my trip report and pics.

Alewife and ljmeerkat - indeed  ::)

Thanks henryb - you won't be disappointed with the views if you do decide to include this hill in your trip  :)

DA (again) - 4 comments on my trip report? I'm flattered  :-*

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 21:43:49, 28/10/16 »
There is nothing technical about Moel Elio, actually, its by far the easiest summit to reach in Northern Snowdonia.
The only reason it receives few visitors, is because like Elidir Fawr, its off the main tourist paths up Snowdon, and therefore gets neglected.

Ask virtually anyone walking up Snowdon any day of the year, to tell you where Moel Elio is, and they would have no idea, even though its clearly visible off to your right, above Llanberis. 8)
See what i mean once again Walking Forums very own answer to a question nobody asked is at it again and tune into the Yr Garn thread for more pointless rambling!!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 22:07:30, 28/10/16 »
ljmeerkat - I think you're right  ;D   I'm still awaiting an answer to my question about access to that quarry car park  :(

Ummm... surely that depends on what direction you're facing in the first place  :-\

.... and it's probably not visible at all if you're up the Pyg track ....  :-\   :-\

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy