Author Topic: Hare's Castle & Rocky Mountain  (Read 1699 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
Hare's Castle & Rocky Mountain
« on: 20:42:46, 13/11/16 »
Yesterday's walk saw me return to the eastern Mournes for the second time in a week. When driving to Newcastle I noticed Bernagh and Meelmore were covered in cloud and decided to climb lower mountains beneath 700 metres in the hope of getting some views. Having walked Chimney Rock the week before, this week's walk centered upon Rocky mountain. Parking the car at Carrick Little car park, I followed the good track towards Blue Lough. Before reaching the lough I turned right towards the Annalong river. The Annalong river is my favourite river in the range. After following its course for 1-2 km, I found a suitable crossing point and climbed onto Hare's Castle. Hare's castle offers great views of the Annalong valley. After a short break for lunch, I made the short ascent of Rocky mountain. Views eastwards were curtailed by the higher Chimney Rock but westwards, the outlook is impressive with Binnian and Lamagan standing guard over the Annalong valley. I descended to Annalong forest before making the short roadside walk back to the car park. Total distance was just over 11km taking around 4 hours.

Lamagan, Upper Cove, Slieve Beg and Commedagh from Carrick Little:

The eastern and central Mournes from Carrick Little:

Lower slopes of Slieve Binnian:

Lamagan and Upper Cove:

Lamagan and Upper Cove:

Annalong river and Commedagh in the background:

Annalong valley and the central Mournes, taken after river crossing:

Annalong River from Hare's Castle:

Slieve Commedagh from Hare's Castle:

Slieve Lamagan from Hare's Castle:

Beg, Cove and Lamagan from Hare's Castle:

Commedagh, Beg and upper Cove from Rocky: