Author Topic: Google Maps possibly not the best choice for C2C?  (Read 2641 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Google Maps possibly not the best choice for C2C?
« Reply #1 on: 18:10:22, 23/12/16 »
With an O/S map of your chosen location ever so affordable, its beyond belief that serious walkers attempting such a challenging route like the Coast to Coast, would use anything else.
Google Mapping are fine if used in conjunction with the relevant O/S map, but using Google Maps alone, seems most unwise.

I buy my maps from a small company called Dash4it, and their prices are so keen, that ive yet to see anyone else undercutting them.

Their list of maps is incredibly extensive, and it would have been wise for this Coast to Coast attempt to pay their website a visit.

With the ever increasing use of digital softwear to reproduce maps, one would think the demise of the paper O/S map is near us.

Somehow i like the choice of receiving a beautifully detailed and colourful map of the uk, through the post.

Downloading it from the web, takes away the mystery an experience of scanning a piece of paper, to ensure your safety.

Long may that continue.

Armchair Hiker

« Reply #2 on: 14:24:46, 07/07/17 »
You don't even need normal osmaps paper or app the A-Z coast to coast IS 7.49 in the post office at St bees and...... It's has the whole route coloured and all maps needed as a strip page by page at 1:250000. Is even cheeper from dash4it

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:21:47, 07/07/17 »
I bought 2 Harvey Maps, worked a treat. If I was to do it again I would just use my Backcountry app.

des65

« Reply #4 on: 15:53:27, 08/07/17 »
I treat everything as just an indication.

Even using OS maps, I have walked along 'paths' that simply disappear in the middle of fields.
Love to walk in the Pennine hills.
Dabbling in glamping [nofollow] and relaxing [nofollow]

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:20:36, 08/07/17 »
I had a look at Google maps today. Who on earth would use them to go on a hike, the detail is minuscule as far as I can tell and apart from the a few footpaths most are not detailed at all! Or am I looking at a different Google Maps, is there a more detailed one to the one at present on my screen?

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:31:57, 22/07/17 »
Bing maps can display OS 25k and 50k - far better for planning at home, but would agree having a map and a compass in your rucksack would be a good main/backup method

Roy
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy