Author Topic: JOGLE - planning ideas  (Read 4806 times)

Doddy

Re: JOGLE - planning ideas
« Reply #15 on: 16:13:12, 10/02/17 »

I did the Cape Wrath Trail in early May and saw three midges and a similar amount of raindrops. I was very fortunate. I only do Scotland jaunts in the winter or May. I understand October might be possible.

JezOak

« Reply #16 on: 17:51:07, 12/02/17 »
I looked into last year and was quite exited in doing the sw coast and many parts of Scotland but could not save enough for the 2-3 months and working for myself losing 3 months wage was not ideal.
But hopefully I will do it in the future.
I was advised to miss the months of midge season too in Scotland

As far as I can see, avoiding the 'peak' midge season really only gives around a 6 week window to get through the Scottish Highlands so I'm thinking setting off much later than the 3rd week of May could be asking for airborne trouble, especially if camping.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:39:50, 16/02/17 »
Lancaster canal Kendal to Preston. The upper reaches between Kendal and Tewitfield are a long term project to reopen that section. Much of it has been infilled, although the original towpath with a few short diversions can be followed.
http://www.exploresouthlakeland.co.uk/downloads/Kendal-Lancaster-walk.pdf

ron6632

« Reply #18 on: 12:27:54, 18/02/17 »
A suggestion between the Cumbria Way and Kendal (Elterwater) would be the unwaymarked Westmorland Way - would avoid a bit of road walking. 

Also can thoroughly recommend the cross borders drove road as a link from the Pentlands to Traquair, although it would involve a bit of route planning to get to West Linton.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy