Author Topic: Oh! and will this stop at Snowdon?  (Read 3036 times)

uncled8249

Oh! and will this stop at Snowdon?
« on: 13:24:45, 18/01/17 »
Campaigners are suggesting walkers should pay to climb[/font] Mount Snowdon   amid concerns too many people are visiting.  

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2017/01/18/walkers-should-pay-to-climb-snowdon-charge

or is this the usual AOL NEWS drivel.

I'm Norfolk 'n good!    OTBC
more pics at www.flickr.com/uncled8249/albums

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Oh! and will this stop at Snowdon?
« Reply #1 on: 13:29:00, 18/01/17 »
Which campaigners and where? The link you have given doesn't mention it.

Or it didn't until you modified your post.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:48:16, 18/01/17 »
This kind of story crops up every now and then. I remember similar stories about Ben Nevis and ScaFell Pikes and the Y3P. There was a long running story about closing Langdale and entry being only by minibus. All these are just people sounding off. It would not be possible to close all the footpaths to the summit. It does bring into discussion how we use our countryside and preserve what we have and encourage people to visit other places to spread the usage.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:50:01, 18/01/17 »
or is this the usual AOL NEWS drivel.

Well, it seems that it has been pretty much lifted, word-by-word at times, from the BBC article it links to so I'm guessing these rumblings among the various parties involved are genuine.

It strikes me as odd that Gwynedd Watkin of the FUW should be so quick to dismiss the idea of a voluntary visitor gift scheme because it "would not raise enough money". Surely any sums raised would be welcome, even if it only raised half the amount raised by a similar scheme in the Lake District (£250,000 a year according to the BBC article)?

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:51:47, 18/01/17 »
This kind of story crops up every now and then.

Yes, in fact I'm sure I remember reading the same sort of story about Snowdon itself last year or the year before. I half-expected the AOL article to be a re-hash of that when I followed the link.

dinger

« Reply #5 on: 15:52:33, 18/01/17 »
Wont it just make some walkers find alternative routes up the mountains causing more pathways which would not be a good idea really.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:28:20, 18/01/17 »
I'm having my £5 per head Snowdon Admission Tickets printed now.

Just have to find a quiet spot on the PYG track to set up my pay booth on Summer weekends.

dinger

« Reply #7 on: 16:38:03, 18/01/17 »
Haha yeah might invest in a ice cream van next to paying booth too

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:03:37, 02/02/17 »
Its virtually impossible to implement such a policy.
There are those who stick to the known routes up the mountain, and due to inexperience or unfamiliarity with the area, would not dare leave their chosen route.
Most of us would not like having to pay, yet more money other than the often costly car parking charges around the mountain.

Could we be absolutely certain that the extra revenue this would generate, would be spent on maintaining the area.

Does Gwynedd Council use the revenue generated by the parking charges, and many yellow parking tickets they issue, to maintain the paths up Snowdon ? i somehow doubt it.

Personally i would not mind paying say a £5 note, to do a particular route, if i was 100% certain that money was being used for path management.

The revenue needed to maintain the routes up Snowdon, is considerable, and must come from somewhere.

I would not begrudge paying towards their annual maintenance, therefore safeguarding them for future generations.

The thing that worries me, is such revenue may be used elsewhere, and possibly wasted on pointless ventures.

You could easily fence off the entire summit area of the mountain, install several gates, and charge an entry.

A step to far, but if that payment was guaranteed to be spent on path maintenance, and nothing else, i personally would not mind paying.

I am sure there would be countless thousands who would not pay, that's their privilege, but are they climbing the mountain for other reasons.

Its there, and the erosion caused by millions of feet, is not their problem.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:56:31, 02/02/17 »
No I don't mind paying either.

Oh, in fact I do. I pay taxes, council tax, VAT, Car parking charges. Hang on what the hell am I getting for that. No DA enough is enough, no more tax by whatever name they want to call it.   Next thing is you'll be supporting a payment to use the public footpaths to Marks and Spencers, or to the pub!
Too little, too late, too bad......

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:39:31, 02/02/17 »
I choose  to contribute to the upkeep of the 3 Yorkshire peaks. Its a local charity.
Snowdon has its railway, cafe, gift shop, car parking etc.. Plenty of sources of revenue..
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Lazar

« Reply #11 on: 02:11:53, 03/02/17 »
Sounds like we need another Mass trespass who do these people thing they are a mountain does not belong to them.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy