Author Topic: Pennine Way thread.  (Read 9822 times)

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Pennine Way thread.
« on: 10:11:43, 20/01/17 »
 New thread to keep the Spine race separate.Walking the PW has little to do with the Spine race other than following the same route and it is not "brutal" at all.I have started with this post as it has plenty of content for discussion.

Johnnyp wrote
Have been following this thread with pleasure as the race unfolded. To Sarah and others who haven't done the PW but are moved by events to so do; all I can add is do so. You will love it if the weather is good and, additionally, be really proud of yourself if you do it in bad weather. Some posters on here say it is a doddle now the slabs are down and dream about the sixties. Others worry about the self same bogs that apparently no longer exist. Truth is both views are not really accurate. It can be wet underfoot in places and it can be hard work; the weather is a key factor on this walk possibly more than many other LDWs as parts of it are more remote. Like Harland said, start early and break the back of any leg as early as possible; particularly further north. For what it is worth, I wouldn't extend much beyond 15/16 days as the sense of achievement may diminish a bit; and I would carry your own gear.
I found the Race rather inspiring this year, and if the PW is now "easy"; I guess a 7 day PW is not. Am I right in thinking the feeding/rest stations stay open for all racers as long as they look like they can complete in a week? Did a pedestrian 16 days in 2015 and am planning to do 13 days this August ( x8 20 mile plus days). The wild thought occurs that, without a full pack and with the support structure; this moderately fit 63 year old might just manage the 35 mile a day. No doubt I will regret this fighting talk in the morning.... :D

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine Way thread.
« Reply #1 on: 23:07:22, 20/01/17 »
Yes, agree with your statement, it's tough but not brutal and people should not be put off. It is a long distance trail that can be done over as many days as one wishes, be it 4 or 20+,camping or B&b,  using a baggage transfer company or not, doing it in one go or several trips. There is no right or wrong way and I believe that it's achievable as long as you are reasonably fit and train appropriately for it.

forest view

« Reply #2 on: 12:22:40, 21/01/17 »
One of the groups that I enjoyed having the most was a group of 7 walkers who had worked out that their average age was 78 the youngster was 75 and the mature one was 82. They did it over 3 weeks carrying their own bags they had a ball they never stopped laughing and smiling and were planning their next adventure before they even got to Kirk yetholm. 
www.forestviewbyrness.co.uk 
# 1 place to stay in Byrness (Tripadvisor)

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:36:51, 21/01/17 »
The last guy Patrick Rodgers number 89 is just doing the worst part of the walk for me down after Auchope Cairn.  I had to go down sideways!  Anyway whilst not at the finish yet many congratulations to him for finishing and great respect for being the last to finish all by himself it is a great achievement.  Well done.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:20:48, 21/01/17 »
I've done a number of LDWs and thought I'd scratched that itch. The GR20 was the only one I had thoughts about doing. But! Following the spine race has fired me up to do the Pennine Way, perhaps this year, maybe next.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:29:46, 21/01/17 »
The last guy Patrick Rodgers number 89 is just doing the worst part of the walk for me down after Auchope Cairn.  I had to go down sideways! 

I was being blown sideways when I did it, took the low level route because of the wind/rain.  Hoping in May to take the high route  O0
Where there's a will ...

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:34:34, 21/01/17 »
The first time I walked it I decided in advance to do the extra walk up the Cheviot, that was great as I left the rucksack at the bottom and then could have run up it.  Also decided in advance to do the high route, got to the stile where you either go up or down and ........ went down, the lure of the finish and a pint was too much!  The second time didn't go up the Cheviot or the high route! :)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:55:04, 21/01/17 »
I left Byrness very early when I did it so I could do the rest of the PW in one day. As it was a long day I decided that I was going to go the Low route rather than the high route, I figured I'd have walked and climbed plenty for one day and that when I got to the split point I'd be finished quite soon afterwards.

So, many miles and many hours later I arrived at the split point and for some reason decided that I'd take the High route instead. I didn't regret my decision as the views were fantastic from up there.

If I do it again I will stay low  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:58:29, 21/01/17 »
Auchope Cairn nearly did for me last time. Went down far too fast to get out of the howling gale and ended up doing a long john silver impression all the way to KY. White Law and White Law Nick on one leg were not a lot of fun.
Am going north to south this time so the Cheviot Traverse is day one. Low route for me O0

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:37:42, 22/01/17 »
With Allan Rumbles finishing before 01.00 this morning that is the end of this years race.  Congratulations to all that took part and to the organisers, volunteers, support teams and to the contributors on here - see you again next year.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:52:31, 22/01/17 »
So, many miles and many hours later I arrived at the split point and for some reason decided that I'd take the High route instead. I didn't regret my decision as the views were fantastic from up there.

Would have been no views for me so another reason I went low, will definitely be high next time if weather is good  ;), cloud base almost at KY  :(

Where there's a will ...

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:50:30, 22/01/17 »
There's no right or wrong way to "do" the Pennine Way. Although we did it in one go in 19 days, we met:
- 2 "youngish" ladies who had started in Alston and had done the rest of it on 2 previous trips. Couldn't do it in one go as they couldn't take that long off work.
- A father and son who had spent most of the year doing it over weekends, but they walked each section twice, i.e they drove to the start, walked the first day, stayed overnight and then walked back the next day to where they had started; I think they were near the end when we saw them.
- Several others who were only doing part of it due to time restrictions. For a lot of people working, that's the only option unless you are capable of doing it in 12 / 13 days allowing for travel time as well. Probably why you see a lot of "older" people doing it. One couple we met had never walked before and decided they were going to walk the C2C for their 70th birthdays the previous year. They enjoyed it so much they did the
Pennine Way the following year and had done the West Highland way a few weeks beforehand as training for it!

old geezer

« Reply #12 on: 18:46:06, 22/01/17 »
am hoping to do the pw this year.i done it in 1996 but it seems some of the accomodation no longer exists,ie,clove lodge and some youth hostels.i am going to try camping on campsites.any suggestions would be welcome.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:55:28, 22/01/17 »
Accommodation comes and goes, all I would say is try to book as soon as possible as the popular places get booked up early.  This time I'm doing a bit of wild camping as accommodation simply wasn't available where I wanted it, but there are hostels at Keld and Dufton, Mankinholes (near Hebden) and campsites at Malham, Horton, Dufton and the Carriage House pub (on the A62).  Tan Hill Inn also has a bunk barn and also allows camping.  Others may have more suggestions for you.

Oh, and of course this may help http://penninewayassociation.co.uk/accommodation
Where there's a will ...

Murphy

« Reply #14 on: 19:34:26, 22/01/17 »
There are lots of opportunities to camp on sites in the route , depends where you want to end your legs.  What do you have in mind? Would recommend the free camping at May Stocks Alladins Cave at Hepstonstall north of Hebdon Bridge although decent campsite at pub New Delight Inn nearby as well.  Hillside Farm at Middleton is a delight.  Its slightly out of Middleton so depends if you need supplies.  Not a lover of the site in Middleton itself.   Camping at Tan Hill is not adviseable at weekends if you're backpacking.  Keld has two/three campsites but lots of midges but sites are good.  Usher Gap at Thwaite/Muker great facilities.  There's also accommodation at Keaton Guest House here after Shunner Fell if you want a change.  Not a lover of site at Cowling......Need any more just ask...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy