Author Topic: Backpack weight  (Read 17288 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Backpack weight
« Reply #45 on: 10:30:56, 15/02/17 »
You sure can ... just google, here's one

https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ration-pack-army-combat-rations-232866.html

I remember on one exercise in Germany swapping our rat packs for fresh food with the Americans, as they hated their MREs (meals ready to eat)  O0
Where there's a will ...

Tribble

« Reply #46 on: 11:53:38, 15/02/17 »
I don't do backpacking as my knees would complain, but some variables I consider when carrying a day pack are:

•   Water: very heavy, so need to get the amount right for the conditions & availability en route of bottled water & other sources.

•   Camera: do I need my SLR or will my phone (or even nothing) do?

•   Money: do I really need all those 1ps and 2ps and 50ps etc.?

•   Maps: just print off local area maps rather than take OS maps?

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 19:23:48, 15/02/17 »
we done a 10 mile desert march in which our burgans weighed 60 lb plus weapons,amunition,hand grenades and plastic explosive

60lbs? they were that weight empty.

Jim Parkin

« Reply #48 on: 20:07:57, 15/02/17 »
I read an article the other day, can't find just now, explaining weight carried by soldiers has been studied before Roman times, including Napoleon and the WW campaigns. Weight different for marches and combat with the gunners and ammunition carriers carrying the most. Logistics clearly important when horses and vehicles could help and provide cooking stations so many days food need not be carried. Fitness conditioning was, and still is, a major factor on being able to carry military packs.

I have seen it claimed that the weight carried by "heavy infantry" had been about 70lbs for a lot of history from Rome, through medieval men at arms, to the Somme, although there have been exceptions with heavier weights.

Doddy

« Reply #49 on: 10:05:32, 16/02/17 »

Found the relevant article; Google-Loads carried by soldiers: historical, physiological, biomechanical and medical aspects.

old geezer

« Reply #50 on: 15:37:27, 16/02/17 »
If i remember rightly,in the book Brava two zero,the SAS carried around 80lb per man in that raid in the Gulf War.I presume that included weapons.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 16:30:44, 16/02/17 »
Definitely carried weapons  ;)

Overall weight was more than 80kgs and too heavy/bulky to carry so was shuttled by the team, moving some forward then going back for another load.
Where there's a will ...

Doddy

« Reply #52 on: 11:46:14, 17/02/17 »

I was in awe of the Falkland soldiers yomping with 70lb.
I have posted before I go lightweight and I walked for four weeks with a couple of ladies I met on the trail and deduced females cope with weight as well, if not better than men. They were carrying 40lb+ I reckon. I lifted the packs and marvelled at the weight and thought they manage ok. They had books, spare pair of shoes,umpteen Tee shirts; lots more clothes than me.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 12:04:26, 17/02/17 »
 When I was in the Boy Scouts we often carried packs that weighed in excess of 160lbs.That didn't include the hind quarter of a cow that was strapped to the top of the pack and was three days worth of rations. ;)

old geezer

« Reply #54 on: 09:24:34, 20/02/17 »
I agree with Tonyk.I watched the tv programme "Special Forces,ultimate hell week"and the girls were out performing the men in most tasks.Mind you,i think women are mentally stronger than men anyway.

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 17:51:49, 09/03/17 »
What's the lightest you've backpacked,including tent,sleeping bag,cooking gear,change of clothing,wash kit,repair kit and emergency rations.I can't get lower than 15 kg.

Around 12kg. Sometimes a little less, sometimes more depending on length of hike, availability of water etc.
roll on the weekend

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 22:44:02, 09/03/17 »
Intriguing thread.  I can honestly say I have never weighed my back pack in my life.  Not that I go out of my way to make it heavy.  I just carry what I think I need for a particular walk.  After returning to walking last year I have gradually replaced a fair bit of my old kit from the 80s, with more modern, lighter equipment, but as I weight over 17 stone myself ,a few pounds here or there really doesn't make much difference.  O0

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 09:19:11, 10/03/17 »
I agree with Buzy, I have never weighed my backpack and just take what I need. When I started doing long walks I took too much and the shoulder straps were very painful. Now I have whittled it down and I have no pain at all, so I think I have the weight about right, whatever it is.

Ilona

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 09:50:21, 10/03/17 »
Another person here who has never weighed their backpack.  I take what I actually need and then a couple of things in case of emergencies, I could probably shave off a few ounces if I really tried but am quite happy with the weight I carry.  This thread has got me intrigued though, now where's the scales...... ?
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 11:25:23, 10/03/17 »
I have never weighed mine either, but I don't do multi-day hikes.  It is probably more important to know what weight you are carrying when walking long distances.  For day walks I just take what I need and don't worry about the weight.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy