Author Topic: Offa's Dyke 2017  (Read 10504 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Offa's Dyke 2017
« Reply #30 on: 22:58:37, 05/06/17 »
I remember those stiles!  Glad its going well.
Where there's a will ...

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 23:04:02, 08/06/17 »
Currently in Knighton after day 7. Another bad weather day!  :(  Heavy rain all morning for the switchbacks which were pretty muddy and slippy, though probably worse coming the other way. My right boot (newish fabric ones) is leaking. Then blustery showers until just over the last big hill before Knighton we were hit by 2 heavy hailstorms in quick succession, very strong winds too. In fact the wind has been in evidence the whole walk, and coming from the south unfortunately!

Tuesday and Wednesday were fairly decent weather days. Fingers crossed for Sunday for Hay on Wye to Pandy. Saturday looking grim. Just had 3 consecutive nights in farmhouses, always the best places to stay especially for drying out. Not so easy in the pub tonight, we had to ask them to put the heating on!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 07:33:06, 09/06/17 »
Hope you get good weather for Sunday as it's a lovely walk in good visibility  O0
Where there's a will ...

Pura Vida

« Reply #33 on: 09:18:19, 09/06/17 »
Well said Susamb. Well I think that its a great view as I didn't see it when I did the ODP. I'm trying to concoct a plan where I can repeat that section in good weather. Logistically challenging.

One day.  :)
Show a man a route then he will have an Adventure; Teach a man to navigate then he will have many adventures

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 22:24:35, 11/06/17 »
Day 10, arrived in Pandy after the ridge walk over the Black Mountains. Some great views although not spectacular as a bit misty in the distance. A couple of heavy showers but again the main factor was the wind, probably 50mph, I nearly got blown over a few times or nearly into the bog!  ;D  I even had to unearth my fleecy hat from the bottom of my rucksack! Two more days to go.

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 23:27:35, 11/06/17 »
Sounds like you'll jusr be finished when the weather improves. Bad luck  ;D

We had strong winds on some of the C2C and its not funny when you're struggling to stand.

It seems like you're enjoying yourself inspite of the weather. O0
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

SteveCRunner

« Reply #36 on: 09:13:21, 12/06/17 »
I have a set of tracks on Strava from 2012 if these are any help, starting at https://www.strava.com/activities/154822599 [nofollow]. If you then search my activities for "Dyke" you should find the set of 12.
Two of us did it N to S in 12 days, 314 km, with a baggage transfer by Drovers.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 08:12:00, 14/06/17 »
Finished yesterday after a very long 18.5 miles from Monmouth.  :)  The weather has been lovely the last two days, gone from one extreme to another, hardly a breath of wind yesterday when we could have done with some!   ;D  It was quite humid in the woods and there were a lot of those. That 1.5 miles back up to Chepstow from Sedbury Cliffs after having finished the walk was a killer though!  Will reflect when back home but did enjoy the walk. For now I'm enjoying a cup of tea in bed before a leisurely breakfast and morning in Chepstow before the train back to Prestatyn at lunchtime ( time allowed for the Sedbury bit in case we were too knackered yesterday - we were but really wanted to finish yesterday).

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 08:40:02, 14/06/17 »
Well done, glad the weather improved for you  O0
Where there's a will ...

SteveCRunner

« Reply #39 on: 09:05:47, 14/06/17 »
Congratulations on completion. Next is to work out how to connect from Chepstow to Minehead and then do the SWCP ;)

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 09:14:33, 14/06/17 »
I know that SteveCRunner's comment was "tongue in cheek" but if anyone is interested I did it the other way and then linked up Chirk to the start of the Pennine Way:-
Minehead > Williton > Bridgwater > Cheddar > Congresbury > Easton-in-Gordano > Chepstow
Chirk > Whitchurch > Weston > Congleton > Bollington > Edale

Happy to provide the route if anyone interested.

SteveCRunner

« Reply #41 on: 15:22:50, 16/06/17 »
We actually need to do this to link up WCP and Off's with SWCP - if you have a track file anywhere I'd be very grateful. I believe the sections are being made up but I haven't checked the status recently.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 18:41:04, 16/06/17 »
I haven't got a track file but the following should help as it is fairly clear then looking at the OS map-

Minehead, Watchet, Williton, Bicknoller, Macmillan Way West, Crowcombe Park Gate, Wills Neck, Merridge, Enmore, Goathurst, Samaritans Way West, Bridgwater, Slape Cross, Bawdrip, Cossington, Gold Corner, Westham, Blackford, West Stoughton, Cheddar, Top of Cheddar Gorge, Beacon Batch, Sandford, West of Congresbury, Yatton, Kenn, West of Tickenham, Clapton in Gordano, Easton in Gordano, bridge over the River Avon, Henbury, Compton Greenfield, Easter Compton, over the M4, Aust, Severn Road Bridge, Chepstow.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 18:58:42, 19/06/17 »
Well I think that its a great view as I didn't see it when I did the ODP. I'm trying to concoct a plan where I can repeat that section in good weather

Well at least we got the view this time! We had your problem on the C2C. We need to go back to see the view from Kidsty Pike, Nine Standards ( couldn't even see all nine!) and the top of Loft Beck. 6 years later we still haven't managed it! Other LDWs keep getting in the way!  :D

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 19:02:12, 19/06/17 »
RR, it will be interesting to hear your views, though I guess the toughest path is always the one you're actually doing. ;)

My views coming up but I think if you can do the c2c you can do Offas dyke. Toughness can often depend on the weathern any particular day. We also averaged about 15/16 miles a day and on the C2C it was about 12/13 I think.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy