Author Topic: Pennine way  (Read 13141 times)

PSM

Pennine way
« on: 21:38:07, 18/04/07 »
hi guys

I'm new to the site and want to thank people for all the great advice. I'm planning to do the pennine way in June or July and want a bit of advice. I have previously walked Hadrians Wall and C2C over the past couple of year aswell as lots of day walks in the lakes and northumberland when I was lucky enough to live in Newcastle. The problem I have is that I am only able to take 2 weeks off work and I'm not sure whether to attempt the whole distance or just go as far as Hadrians wall. Previously I have walked with my ex and due to my reluctance to carry her 5 pairs of shoes all the way I have used baggage carriers. This time I plan to carry my own gear and stay at YH and B&Bs. I would like advice from people who have done the walk as to whether doing the whole distance in 12/14 days carrying my own stuff would take alot of the enjoyment out of the walk. Also can anybody recommend a good place to take a rest day. Also for any people planning the pennine way or Hadrian walls I highly recommend a stop at the Twice brewed inn.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine way
« Reply #1 on: 22:59:46, 27/04/07 »
It all depends on your fitness when load carrying and what kit you are going to take. Also what daily milage are you planning on reaching.

On a lighter note, there are some sections were you can really pound the mileage out and maybe make up for lost time.

I am sure everybody on here will help you as much as possible, with any questions you have.

P.s Hello and welcome ;D  ;D
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Deerplay

« Reply #2 on: 00:25:28, 28/04/07 »
Not sure about the other stuff, but having walked the Pennine Way myself I would say a good rest day is Malham as you can stroll along to Janets Foss and Goredale Scar. However I would think your rest day might be dictated by how your ankles, knees etc are feeling and/or how many miles you have covered. Hawes is another possibility I did the PW in 13 days (head down and camping) when in my 20's. It is doable but you don't see much in two weeks. I did enjoy it though as I always tend to walk this way.
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:34:41, 11/05/07 »
PSM

How are you getting on with your planning?
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Calvert

« Reply #4 on: 22:16:30, 13/05/07 »
How many miles is the PW?

M J B

« Reply #5 on: 22:01:23, 14/05/07 »
268!

Ive done Edale - Pooley Bridge  :'(

Next easter i hope to start it again!

EDITED - what a numptie, pooley bridge is in the lakes lmao. I meant hebden bridge  ;D
« Last Edit: 22:12:46, 15/05/07 by M J B »

Calvert

« Reply #6 on: 22:46:49, 14/05/07 »
12/14 Days would be good going.

titaniumdude

« Reply #7 on: 00:22:39, 15/05/07 »
I've been planning to walk this trail for some time now and set a date for september.  Step foot on the trail on the morning of my 40th birthday.  I just couldn't think of a better way to surge towards middle age.  I've allowed a total of three weeks to give me the chance to explore along the way or get the odd rest day in.  If I don't need the days off i can spend the time writing the trip up when I get back. :)

Planning on a total of 16 days walking as per Martin Collins Cicerone guide.  Camping the whole way and carrying all the gear of course.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

unixnut

« Reply #8 on: 15:59:31, 19/05/07 »
I just completed the PW for my one and only time.

If I was younger I'd have tried for less than the 20 days I took but I also wanted to see something of the days and I didn't want an endurance event.

The log is at http://cognoscente.no-ip.biz/pw [nofollow] and has kit list and accomodation info too.

Comments welcome - good and bad.
« Last Edit: 16:19:32, 19/05/07 by unixnut »

M J B

« Reply #9 on: 18:04:13, 20/05/07 »
That is an AMAZING website!  8)
Just flicked through the first 3 days and it is spot on, brought back memories.
Will read it all in full when i get a spare hour.

unixnut

« Reply #10 on: 18:56:44, 20/05/07 »
Thanks M J B. I gave it my best shot.
If I missed anything let me know.

kkm

« Reply #11 on: 13:21:28, 22/05/07 »
i've posted this in another thread, but me and a companion are planning on doing the pennine way in the summer - 9th july is the kick off date. we're plannning on back packing it, over 10days, to raise money for Macmillan cancer support.

this is meant to be a challenge, which is why we are planning to do it at this rate. we have a few extra days we can use if we need to. the point is that while 10days is our ideal, if we need to use extra we will.

we have set up a justgiving web page, and also another website to log our progress (its still under construction - just looking for a bit of spare time to finish updating it!).

feel free to PM me for the links, or if its ok for me to post them here, then i will.

have had lots of good advice from the guys on this forum so far, and pleae keep it coming.

cheers for now,
KKM

kkm

« Reply #12 on: 13:25:40, 24/05/07 »
I just completed the PW for my one and only time.

If I was younger I'd have tried for less than the 20 days I took but I also wanted to see something of the days and I didn't want an endurance event.

The log is at http://cognoscente.no-ip.biz/pw and has kit list and accomodation info too.

Comments welcome - good and bad.

that is soo helpful. liked the kit list.

kkm

« Reply #13 on: 12:02:13, 08/06/07 »
have two web links now.....

for info on our pennine way challenge - www.freewebs.com/pennineway2007. site is very much still under construction - got a some more walks to write up, but fel free to have a browse.....

if you would like to donate - we are doing it for macmillan cancer support - its http://www.justgiving.com/robwalkersamfradley.

hch

« Reply #14 on: 12:44:47, 20/06/07 »
Hi

I'm off on the pennine way 22 July, i will be out for 3 weeks with all my gear on my back, finishing around the 12 August, so if you want to join me i'll be setting off from edale that Sunday. Oh forgot somthing, I'm walking both ways in that time!!!

It's for charity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy