Author Topic: How not to backpack the Coast to Coast or any LDP.  (Read 3017 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: How not to backpack the Coast to Coast or any LDP.
« Reply #1 on: 14:54:30, 17/02/17 »
Great report, love the improvisation with the polos.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:38:44, 17/02/17 »
A bit like my Peakland Way fiasco in 1982,only difference was that I was carrying a "lighter" pack (60lbs).The biggest mistake was carrying all my own food plus extras such as spare boots,heavy duty binoculars,two cameras,a gas lamp,six gas cannisters,and four heavy books.I wonder why we had to do things in such a macho way in those days?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:27:35, 18/02/17 »
I've been there and done that, mainly due to a lack of concentration I've often wandered off in the wrong direction, I hate it when I do this!

In my early long distance walking days I made the mistake of carrying three baselayers, three underwear, three pairs of socks and when I bought them they were all of the same colour, make and model. My plan was to rotate each day, wear 1, wash 2, dry 3. Didn't work, I got in such a muddle I forgot which one I wore first and wore last, which one I needed to and so on.

It got to the point where my humiliation was to smell the fabric to know which was which!

I no longer carry three items, now only two of each. Wear 1, wash 2 and dry, wear 2, wash 1 and dry, then back to the start. It just needs a bit of discipline on my part and for me it works well. I also now try to buy different colours, much easier to manage. If not I just sew a white thread 'A' and 'B' on each item so I know which is which.

snoopdawg

« Reply #4 on: 21:41:06, 18/02/17 »
Been there done it... I recall carrying a big huge bath towel for showering on my first backpack. Took up half the rucksack!

pmerryman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:00:17, 19/02/17 »
Met up with a lad on the PW at Horton. He had already sent lots of stuff home, and he was there reading a full on hard back book. God know how heavy his pack was when he set off.
Paul

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:36:56, 19/02/17 »
Never done an LDW, but plan to change that with a short LDW.   O0   I'm learning by everyone else's mistakes.   :D :D

old geezer

« Reply #7 on: 10:12:06, 20/02/17 »
I think we all live and learn.I done similar on the C2C.Luckilly at Gillethwaite someone had left an old rucksack so i scrounged it and struggled on to Honister Hostel and arranged for packhorse to do the lugging.Lesson learnt.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:40:15, 20/02/17 »
My first experience was not quite that bad. I didn't have camping gear, but took enough cash for B & B's. Rucksack didn't feel too bad at the start, but as the days went on the shoulder straps were making my shoulders very sore. I had a hand towel so cut it it half and used it as padding, inserting it under the straps. That was a bit better.

It was getting heavier and heavier despite all my efforts to pack the minimum. I had too many clothes so left some of them in a phone box hoping that someone would find them and claim them. I had a pair of lightweight trainers for the evenings, found I didn't need them because when I got myself into a room I didn't want to go anywhere else.

Packed seven pairs of clean pants, now I take two pairs and a packet of panty liners. I carry a bit of food when I start off, but then make use of small shops to pick up supplies. Carry two water bottles and buy plastic bottles of lucozade or whatever and top them up with water.

I used to worry about being grubby and smelly, but now I don't care, I wear the same clothes the whole time, nobody gets near enough to get a whiff. I reckon if people think I'm a scruff it doesn't matter because I will never see them again. I shower every night at a B & B, so my body is clean.

I'm off again in a couple of weeks, this winter is getting me down, gotta walk.
Ilona

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:45:36, 20/02/17 »
Panty liners, now there's a thought!

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:54:28, 20/02/17 »
Great to hear others have had the same experiences. In my case it was that I just thought I could do it, found out quickly that i couldn't. I see it all the time now, others going through the same mistakes. Best way of learning though.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:01:26, 22/02/17 »
Panty liners, now there's a thought!

I don't know where a man would position a panty liner. Depends which orifice makes makes the most mess.  :-\   ;D

Ilona

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:09:41, 22/02/17 »

I don't know where a man would position a panty liner. Depends which orifice makes makes the most mess.  :-\   ;D

Ilona

;D ;D ;D

toadoftoadhall

« Reply #13 on: 22:25:30, 23/02/17 »
Walked from Leon to Santiago 2015, rucksack only weighed around 12kg, but felt like 25 due to a badly fitting rucksack. Now bought Osprey, so much better.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy