Author Topic: Ingleborough, Whernside, Pen Y Ghent GPX files  (Read 3642 times)

Bhod

• Veteran Member
Ingleborough, Whernside, Pen Y Ghent GPX files
« on: 14:20:23, 28/02/17 »
Can anyone point me in the direction of gpx files for the following walks, I've had a cursory look but can't seem to find any -

Circular walk taking in both Ingleborough and Pen Y Ghent Summits.
Circular walk taking in Pen Y ghent and Whernside summits.

There is a GPX file for a circular walk taking in Ingleborough and Whernside summits which can be found Here

Cheers.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Ingleborough, Whernside, Pen Y Ghent GPX files
« Reply #1 on: 15:11:05, 28/02/17 »
Try gpsies.com and haroldstreet.org.uk. Also try Wikiloc overlays on Google Earth. You may need to splice some together though. TBH it would be easy to make one of your own using a mapping app such as ViewRanger, Memorymap or GoogleEarth. The paths are all fairly well defined.
« Last Edit: 15:14:48, 28/02/17 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:39:56, 28/02/17 »
GPX for Pen - Y - Ghent and Ingleborough - following the 3 peaks route for much of it, but skipping Whernside and ascending Ingleborough via Park fell - A steep pull up but a fine amble along the 'edge'.

Personally - I've never fancied the other route you're after - too much road work for me or an 'out and back' for a lot of it. I prefer circulars..

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:17:56, 28/02/17 »
GPX for Pen - Y - Ghent and Ingleborough - following the 3 peaks route for much of it, but skipping Whernside and ascending Ingleborough via Park fell - A steep pull up but a fine amble along the 'edge'.

Personally - I've never fancied the other route you're after - too much road work for me or an 'out and back' for a lot of it. I prefer circulars..

Thanks for that gpx Hillhiker1. 

I really don't fancy the "other" route that much either but I decided I was going to do the peaks in pairs this year and I really can't see any other option for PYG and Whernside other than the classic 3P route out and then mostly road back to Horton :(.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:41:05, 28/02/17 »
Thanks for that gpx Hillhiker1. 

I really don't fancy the "other" route that much either but I decided I was going to do the peaks in pairs this year and I really can't see any other option for PYG and Whernside other than the classic 3P route out and then mostly road back to Horton :(.

To be honest I think I'd rather pay the £2.80 and get the train back to Horton from Ribblehead than walk along the road, especially if it's the weekend and the road is busy.

If you're doing the 3 peaks route for PYG and Whernside and doing the rest via road it is still over 23 and a half miles, would be as well just doing Ingleborough as well, lol

edited to add...if you do the 3 peaks walk and after Whernside walk along the road to Ribblehead station, it's 18 miles
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:52:32, 28/02/17 »
Good shout Bricam - that train ride back would be a grand idea! O0

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:54:34, 28/02/17 »
Never thought about the train to be honest, good call that man!   Will get me the pairing that I want, cut out the road walking and come in at around the distance I want to do, again, good shout.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:05:50, 01/03/17 »
So, it looks as though the only really feasible way due to train times and lack of other public transport options, to do Pen Y Ghent and Whernside is to drive down and park the van at Ribblehead, catch the train into Horton in Ribblesdale, then walk the three peaks route of Pen Y Ghent and Whernside, looping back from the descent of Whernside to Ribblehead and pick up the van from there.  Not ideal but will at last get me the pair that I want.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:40:24, 01/03/17 »
maybe not ideal but I find it's better to get the train to the start than hang about at the end waiting for one, especially if cold and wet. Having your vehicle at the viaduct is handy for using it for a rest before doing Whernside and you can always dump wet weather gear etc or pick up more food or water as you pass by  O0

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:53:32, 01/03/17 »
maybe not ideal but I find it's better to get the train to the start than hang about at the end waiting for one, especially if cold and wet. Having your vehicle at the viaduct is handy for using it for a rest before doing Whernside and you can always dump wet weather gear etc or pick up more food or water as you pass by  O0

O0   Plus I get to have n extra hour in bed before my two hour drive down there :D

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:58:32, 01/03/17 »
O0   Plus I get to have n extra hour in bed before my two hour drive down there :D

the downside is the temptation to reach the car before Whernside and decide you've had enough for the day and head home  :D

If you're lucky though the snack van will be parked up by the time you get there after PYG  O0

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:12:38, 11/03/17 »
Well I plumped for arranging a taxi to pick me up from Ribblehead and take me into Horton in Ribblesdale, a lot more expensive than the train but fitted in with my timings better.  Parking the van at Ribblehead meant my rucksac was a fair bit lighter than usual with having no cooking kit to carry, the plan being I would walk PYG and then stop of at the van for lunch and a change of socks if needs be before heading up and over Whernside.

Everything went as planned except for the weather, a pleasant surprise that it stayed dry for the whole day when all the forecasts seemed to suggest a huge band of rain passing over throughout the day.  No views to be had from the top of either fell again due to low flying cloud, all in all a much better walking day than the previous week.

Classic three peaks route taken from PYG cafe, up and over PYG then onto Ribblehead and Whernside, up and over Whernside before heading back to the viaduct via the Winterscales Beck footpath.

And yes, the snack van was open, hadn't arrived at 9am when I was leaving for Horton but was there at lunchtime when I stopped for lunch and was packed up and just leaving when I returned again around 4ish.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:09:38, 28/03/17 »

After last weeks aborted attempt I can now say I've completed my challenge of walking the Yorkshire 3 peaks in pairs.  Sunday saw me head down to Horton In Ribblesdale to walk Pen Y Ghent and Ingleborough, the final pairing of my challenge.  The weather forecast was for good clear skies but it exceeded my expectations.  A little cold to start but sunny and clear and soon had me taking my soft shell and fleece off on the ascent of Pen Y Ghent.  Still plenty of snow around at the top from the fall mid week but on the whole the route was dry, surprising after the amount of rainfall the previous weekend.
An uneventful but pleasant walk from PYG to Ribblehead followed with the best of the days weather, warm enough to continue walking in base layer and windproof top but not too warm to be uncomfortable, clear views, plenty of lambs, rabbits, a couple of hares, a harrier of some sort, kestrels, grouse, pheasants and even a stoat spotted on route.  Stopping short of Ribblehead I decided on lunch before ascending Park Fell, which indeed is a steep pull up but very satisfying, onto Simon fell and then the new to me Ingleborough Rim walk.  I can highly recommend the Rim Walk strenuous but not technical, definately not for the faint hearted but fantastic views to be had and a whole different perspective given of Ingleborough.  The summit of Ingleborough revealed great views today, but the wind was a little stronger up here bringing the temperature down somewhat so rather than hang around I headed back to Horton in Ribblesdale after checking in at the trig point.

Altogether 17.75 miles walked, 4 fells bagged, total ascent of 3891ft  a very satisfying completion to my challenge.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy