Author Topic: path from Higher shelf stones  (Read 1171 times)

kevilsonlad

path from Higher shelf stones
« on: 21:16:36, 01/03/17 »

hi guys good to be back after a long time away....
right I ve got a question .
Is there a half decent path from higher shelf stones to Shelf benches via James`s Thorn , only asking coz a few times I`ve walked along Yellowstones I ve seen what looks like a path . Taking a few friends to the crash site at Higher Shelf Stones and was thinking of my down via James`s Thorn.

cheers  kevilsonlad

ads20092009

Re: path from Higher shelf stones
« Reply #1 on: 08:31:14, 02/03/17 »
Hi!

I am New Mills based and know the area quite well and I don't think this is a path. I have had a look on Google Earth as well as my maps and can't see anything marked either.

You could hoof it cross country but if it is anything like Kinder at the moment it will be one massive bog!

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:49:36, 02/03/17 »
If it helps, switching from the regular map layout to the "National Park pathways" view on the OS Maps website does show a path - whether this translates to an obvious path on the ground is another matter.

I've used this feature a lot when plotting routes and it's mostly worked out okay - it picks up a clear and very walkable path along the side of Alport Dale, for example, that doesn't show on the normal map layout; on the other hand I once tried to follow one of these routes from the Wain Stones to the top of Torside Clough on the north side of Bleaklow and there was no indication on the ground that anyone had ever traversed these groughs and hags before me (fortunately, it was pretty dry underfoot!).

No automatic alt text available.

The marker I've added on the above map is Shelf Benches.

If you do venture up that way I'd be interested to hear if there is a semblance of a path at all, as I have a plotted walk that heads up onto Bleaklow via the same route and then south to Crooked Clough. It'd be handy to know whether I need to pack a snorkel!  ;D

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:57:49, 02/03/17 »
If you zoom in on this area in the OS mapping at walklakes then switch to the aerial view (satellite imagery) there is no obvious path, paths usually stick out like sore thumbs in this view.

ads20092009

« Reply #4 on: 12:31:36, 02/03/17 »
If it helps, switching from the regular map layout to the "National Park pathways" view on the OS Maps website does show a path - whether this translates to an obvious path on the ground is another matter.

Well that I did not know! Thanks for the heads up.

And as I mentioned else where if it is anything like Kinder is at the moment a snorkel should be the least you should take!

kevilsonlad

« Reply #5 on: 16:25:39, 02/03/17 »
thanks for all your replies guys I will bear them in mind . Looks like we might do an easy walk now coz of the weather . Don't get me wrong me and the mrs would definitely do the walk mainly coz we want to know about the James`s Thorn route so we could possibly use that route as a descent in needed in the future . I don't want to put our friends through it just case if its well to boggy which I expect coz they are newbies to walking so I cant plan a route to far neither. So I ve suggested an easy route from Hayfield to New Mills Millenium walkway then up to Lantarn Pike . A big difference I know but I know they will be happy that especially if I tell them theres a pub involved .............Anyone been in the Printers arms at Thornsett , I wouldn't mind going in there as I am a printer by trade plus I love real ales.

kevilsonlad

« Reply #6 on: 16:31:47, 02/03/17 »

I've used this feature a lot when plotting routes and it's mostly worked out okay - it picks up a clear and very walkable path along the side of Alport Dale, for example, that doesn't show on the normal map layout; on the other hand I once tried to follow one of these routes from the Wain Stones to the top of Torside Clough on the north side of Bleaklow and there was no indication on the ground that anyone had ever traversed these groughs and hags before me (fortunately, it was pretty dry underfoot!).

No automatic alt text available.

The marker I've added on the above map is Shelf Benches.

If you do venture up that way I'd be interested to hear if there is a semblance of a path at all, as I have a plotted walk that heads up onto Bleaklow via the same route and then south to Crooked Clough. It'd be handy to know whether I need to pack a snorkel!  ;D

have you got a link for the maps . Do you have to join to use them ?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy