Author Topic: Doing the Dales  (Read 8004 times)

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
Doing the Dales
« on: 19:08:38, 22/03/17 »
Image may contain: mountain, grass, sky, outdoor and nature

Have you ever noticed what a great deal some high quality photographic books are in charity shops.

For  99p, the same price as a used Jilly Cooper paperback we found a copy of Wide Angle-greatest places, a National Geographic publication giving 500 pages of inspirational world wide pano photos.

Another great 99p purchase in the same vein was the Yorkshire Dales photo book.

As a walker/climber I have always thought I knew the Yorkshire Dales well.

BUT

This volume has made me think maybe I don't know the dales as well as I thought.

So over the last few weeks we have been having great fun 'Doing the Dales' trying to track down where the various photos were taken. Even after much plodding, flasks of coffee and cheese sandwich's we have still not been very succesfull with the elusive locations.

BUT

On the other hand we have found some amazing alternate landscapes of our own.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Doing the Dales
« Reply #1 on: 22:00:43, 22/03/17 »
That's a great photo MWM.  I love the Dales.  It's great walking country and Mrs. DD and I go there as often as we can.  We're looking forward to our next visit in June.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:25:03, 23/03/17 »
Image may contain: sky, grass, outdoor, nature and water

Thanks Dave,

We are lucky the Dales is just up the road from us, just wait for a half decent day and we are off.

Over the decades I have often driven past the Dales on the way to the Lakes or Scotland. As the weather has been a bit naff in the North and West this year we have been 'making do' with the Dales.

The book we bought has been a revelation for me, opened my eyes to the superb scenery, patterns of barns/walls, waterfalls etc.

Loving it........
« Last Edit: 15:37:01, 23/03/17 by midweekmountain »

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:45:50, 23/03/17 »
Image may contain: grass and outdoor

Barns again from a slightly different angle I can't believe I have driven past here several times and never seen this shot. In fact I took the photo by accident, did not see the pattern until I was back home processing it.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:18:08, 23/03/17 »
It makes you wonder why they put kinks in the old walls instead of building them in straight lines.  It's just the same with the granite walls here on Dartmoor.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 06:53:16, 24/03/17 »
The only reason I can think of is to add rigitity to the structure but on the other hand they make for interesting patterns.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:31:12, 24/03/17 »
I wonder if the slight kinking affords a little extra shelter for sheep/cattle ?
The wind would just howl across the fields with totally straight walls.
But, i do think the idea of forming a mini buttress is also valid.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:48:16, 24/03/17 »
I would imagine, the extra "kinking" like the one in the photo could make it easier to get sheep through to the next field, make it more of a bottleneck, less chance of them dispersing.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:17:33, 24/03/17 »
I would imagine, the extra "kinking" like the one in the photo could make it easier to get sheep through to the next field, make it more of a bottleneck, less chance of them dispersing.
Yes, that could well be the case for the wall in MWM's photo, but sometimes the walls have kinks in them where there is no exit from the field and there seems to be no apparent reason for it.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:19:08, 24/03/17 »
Image may contain: mountain, grass, sky, outdoor and nature

Have you ever noticed what a great deal some high quality photographic books are in charity shops...

Great photo mwm.
All this talk reminds me of a book I received as a Christmas present back in the late 70s/early 80s  - which I think was called James Herriot's Yorkshire. It had little to do with Mr. Herriot  other than a nice set of photos based on his haunts. Somebody like Derry Brabbs was the photographer, I think.
Like you are doing now - I spent ages driving around (once I'd passed my test and in a Hillman Avenger) trying to spot where the photos were taken.

Where is this one ?

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:59:32, 26/03/17 »
Thanks for the feedback guys

Where is this one ?

Near Thwaite

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:15:01, 26/03/17 »
Image may contain: outdoor, water and nature

Wainwath Falls after a nights heavy rain

There ia an abundance of superb Waterfalls in the Dales that give a very different  shot.....BUT.....unlike barns they look different every day.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:19:21, 27/03/17 »
Image may contain: bird

Since I have started focusing on the Dales I have been amazed at the photographic diversity of the area, this last week we were lucky enough to be invited on a session at a nature reserve hide.

This included the opportunity to use some BIG 600mm lenses, I havn't a clue what the birds are but I was impressed with our first time results.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:30:01, 27/03/17 »
That is a beautiful photo MWM.  If I'm not mistaken it's a linnet.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 15:23:35, 29/03/17 »
If I'm not mistaken it's a linnet.

Thanks, will have to take your word for that

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy