Author Topic: Glyndwrs way  (Read 3136 times)

Doddy

Glyndwrs way
« on: 17:40:53, 06/04/17 »

I aim to so this in a few weeks time camping mostly as usual .Any comments on the availability of supplies would be appreciated.
The guidebook paints a gloomy picture on camping  re food but must villages villages/towns visited seem to have a pub, garage or store of some kind. I usually carry a few days food and resupply along the way. This will be my 18th GB National trail.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Glyndwrs way
« Reply #1 on: 19:14:58, 06/04/17 »
which NT have you still to complete? I'll be interested to hear how you get on.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Doddy

« Reply #2 on: 20:10:06, 06/04/17 »
I have Glyndwrs and half the North Downs way to do.

rhinogfawr83

« Reply #3 on: 21:11:55, 07/04/17 »
Hi Doddy,

Very interested to hear how you get on with this one. It's on my list! And I like the appeal of it being remote and unsupported!  O0

Best of luck!

James

Doddy

« Reply #4 on: 23:07:33, 07/04/17 »
I have two guide books, one is old, the newer Cicerone one is more helpful as most villages seem to have facilities of some sort.Looks varied landscape. Just completed the my last section of the SWCP so woodland and valleys will be change.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:17:39, 11/04/17 »
You might like to check out the Greyhound Pub in Llangunllo and see if it is still open, it has had a checkered career, being closed for many years after the old Landlord died. He played for Preston Northend but ended his working life on the Central Wales railway line. He bought the Greyhound and retired there, I met him shortly before he died, he was living in the bar, where the locals bought meals in for him and served themselves at the bar. After he died the three heirs tried to sell the pub for development, fortunately without success, it remained shut up for several years, but the locals got it going again.
First time I went to this pub group of locals told be that there was a waterfall so well hidden that it would be impossible to find, unless  you were taken there, I did find it, Water Breaks it's Neck falls. Amazing place, made more difficult to find because it is on the join of three OS sheets of the Explorer maps. It was around the time I had just started to used digital maps, by joining together scans of paper maps  :D , which was how I worked out how to get to the waterfall, with one click and memory map I can now look at the surround area, so easy, ;D . Just to the west of Cnwch Bank there is a defile running up to the the source of the River Lugg, I remember thinking that would be a lovely place to wild camp. When I climbed out of the defile onto the moor above, after a few yards, I looked back and could see were I had come from, just flat moorland for miles. Shortly after that I met this German lady walking Glyndwr's way and she asked me what I thought of the route, I told her it was pretty good but some of the best bits were close by but you could not get to them. On being asked why that was, I had to explain about rights of ways and landowners. Her reply made me laugh,

"Vat do zeese landovner's think, zat I vill steal zere land and take it back to Bavaria!

Put my little 'off piste ventures into a more comfortable perspective. I was thinking of that lady yesterday as I found a safe way to use a mile of useless right of way, that dumps the righteous walker onto the very nasty bit of the A417 near Bodenham and managed to make a safe connection via two field service bridges to a mile of lost way that used to be used by children walking to school. By the way I landed up at the back gate to Hampton Court Gardens and had a free stroll around  :-X

I really should write a TR about it, I suppose, and warn my fellow walkers about the dangers of tripping over 'privacy notices', it is amazing the remote places so people love to hang these things.
« Last Edit: 08:28:30, 11/04/17 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Doddy

« Reply #6 on: 11:30:59, 14/04/17 »

Internet search says Greyhound pub is open.
I have put an itinerary together and will let folks know how it works out. On a 15 ml a day schedule tea time meals seem pretty good, I will carry a couple, lunches are also not bad; I will carry a few of those, with snacks, then resupply at Machynlleth.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:10:36, 14/04/17 »
Good to hear that it is still open, I have a soft above for the place, I chatted to a farmer above Llangunllo, who told me a lot of local info and he was very sad when the pub was closed because the school had closed and the local church struggling so there was very little heart in the community,

Hope you have an interesting and enjoyable walk. Keep an eye out for Peregrine Falcons in the area. The farmer I talked to told me of a nesting pair they had been attacked by egg collectors one year but seemed to have come back. There is a spot close to where the nest is that the birds patrol and kick up a great fuss, when you walk that part of the way.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

mow1701

« Reply #8 on: 12:28:21, 16/04/17 »
Be interested in your itinerary for camping as I am looking at this as a future project. Read a really good account that talks about  Esgairfochnant Caravan Site, Aberhosan. However seems on initial glance not to be mentioned so wondering whether still there.

Doddy

« Reply #9 on: 17:47:32, 25/04/17 »

Esgairfochnant caravan site is on the National trail list of campsites. It may be mid day when I pass but I will seek further details.

mow1701

« Reply #10 on: 18:11:17, 25/04/17 »
Cheers Doddy

Doddy

« Reply #11 on: 17:40:45, 08/05/17 »

I completed Glyndwrs Way yesterday in eight days. I will endeavour to say a bit more when have a look at  my notes.
Esgair Fochnant campsite is open. £7.50 pp per night- a shower is available. I did not stay as it was too early to stop.They do like a booking beforehand as they are out quite a bit. Getting in touch with these places is not easy when on the trail as phone coverage was non existence with O2; although I did not have it on all the time to preserve the battery.
I used two B n Bs. The White Lion in Machynleth and the Wynsstay Arms Hotel in Lanbrynmair- which is basic but good value for B n B at £25 a night..
Lots of sheep to see and gates to deal with and the next gate can be over the hill brow and not visible for a while. Well way marked in general.
Yep isolated; I met no-one else walkng it in one trip and only three parties section hiking.

mow1701

« Reply #12 on: 18:28:40, 08/05/17 »
Cheers for the feedback on the campsite. Glad it was a successful and enjoyable walk

Doddy

« Reply #13 on: 12:39:00, 12/05/17 »
More info on my walk.
I wild pitched close to Glaslyn lake, water nearby  ;) or about 2k before near farm buildings and stream; and approx 1.5k after Meiford.
Llangunlo, Lower Bailey Farm, free pitch near farm-ask, will supply water. No facilities. Greyhound pub open.
Brandy House Farm, full facilities,£7.50
Abbey at Abbeycwmhir, shower ,WC. Donation to Air ambulance
Llandidloes Dol Lys campsite £7.50.
Esgair Fochnant, £7.50, advised to book.
Wynnstay Arms Hotel at Llanbrynmair. £25 B n B, £25ppn,basic but good food/value.
Meiford, pub presently closed.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy