Author Topic: A (Long) Walk to Work  (Read 2396 times)

werringtonwalker

A (Long) Walk to Work
« on: 16:56:31, 28/04/17 »
In December a change of role at work meant a daily train commute from Stoke to Birmingham.  As I looked out of the train's window I enjoyed the beauty of the Staffordshire countryside and then pretty much switched off once it had passed underneath the M54 and hit Wolverhampton, the Black Country and Birmingham itself.  But as time went by I began to notice the canals and to see them as little green corridors back to the countryside that had been left behind and I wondered if I could put together a route between home and work to be walked on behalf of The Peter Pan Centre for Children with Special Needs, a charity close to my heart that I have supported previously.

Over four days this week I got to walk the route and was delighted to realise that peace and quiet can be found even deep within the heart of the conurbation.

My first day took me from my home on a hill above Stoke into the city where I joined the Cauldon Canal for a mile or so, passing a couple of bottle kilns before heading for the station and a day at my desk.

P1070226 by Nick Lee, on Flickr

On my return to Stoke that evening I was met by a couple of friends and set off along the Trent and Mersey to the town of Stone some eight miles away.  A pleasant evening obviously ended in a pub but the best part was clearly the walk:

P1070362 by Nick Lee, on Flickr

The following day was sunny and warm and saw me cover the sixteen miles to Stafford, initially on the Trent and Mersey but switching to the Staffordshire and Worcester at Great Haywood - where I was joined by Mum and Dad for a couple of miles and we were all delighted to see a heron just yards in front of us on the towpath.

P1070482 by Nick Lee, on Flickr
P1070489 by Nick Lee, on Flickr

After a day in the garden I was back in Stafford on Monday for the longest day - eighteen miles in to Wolverhampton - and whilst the weather was a little overcast, I was able to sit out the worst of the rain in a canalside pub.  Although the path accompanied the motorway for a while, I was pleasantly surprised at the peace and quiet - and even more surprised when the M54 came and went with little change to the rural feel.  Yes, there was industry and more in the way of housing but you could easily overlook this and another heron gave me one of the day's highlights (a kingfisher was too quick for my camera but made my day anyway).

P1070579 by Nick Lee, on Flickr
P1070584 by Nick Lee, on Flickr

Wednesday saw the final section.  I had joined the Birmingham Canal late on the previous section and followed this into the heart of the city, although it remained a largely peaceful route if you ignore the half-mile spent beneath the M5.  It is literally only within the last mile that you realise you are unequivocally in the heart of England's second city and I understand that there are otters in the area if you are extremely fortunate to see them (I wasn't).

P1070697 by Nick Lee, on Flickr
P1070706 by Nick Lee, on Flickr
P1070737 by Nick Lee, on Flickr
P1070748 by Nick Lee, on Flickr

In total, a walk of around sixty miles and doable with the aid of my railway season ticket at absolutely minimal cost which allowed me to sleep in my own bed and spend time with my wife each night.  I'd encourage anyone to investigate the canal network - even those who are wedded to the hills.  I might not have climbed very high but it was a wonderfully fulfilling expedition, full of interest from first to last and helped to raise over £750 for my chosen charity - for which reason I am delighted to have done it.
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
Re: A (Long) Walk to Work
« Reply #1 on: 17:31:07, 28/04/17 »
Really nice photos WW.  Not a part of the country that one thinks of as being particularly scenic, but it just goes to show that beauty can be found anywhere.  Well done for raising over £750.  O0

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:51:32, 28/04/17 »
An interesting TR and great that you raised so much for the charity   

It's surprising the beauty and wildlife one can find in urban and old industrial areas.  I think there's a lot of good walking to be had off the beaten track    :)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:53:15, 28/04/17 »
Lovely photos Nick.  I like the look of that pub by the canal 8)  (even though I don't really drink!)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:08:53, 29/04/17 »
Looks like a fascinating walk. I've only done a little bit of canal-side walking but I do like the history aspect of it - old mills, factories, villages etc. I'd quite like to do some more of it and some planned urban walking too.

I agree with DevonDave about the beauty aspect - in many ways I think it's about how you choose to look at something, without bringing any preconceptions to the view.

Congrats on the fundraising too.  O0

Murphy

« Reply #5 on: 14:25:04, 29/04/17 »
Werringtonwalker - from this, and your Stafford posts then I assume you are local to Werrington SOT?

werringtonwalker

« Reply #6 on: 21:34:08, 29/04/17 »
Thank you for the comments, folks.

Sunnydale - sorry for the confusion about the pub; the photo is actually of some cottages along the way rather than the pub.  If it looked that good we would never have left (and I'm not a big drinker either).

Devon Dave and Adalard - I 100% agree about beauty being there if you choose to see it. 

And Murphy - you're quite right, although I'm not a native, having only lived here for thirteen years.  :)
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

PaulJ

« Reply #7 on: 03:14:58, 30/04/17 »
Well done, and some great photos there.  O0
Paul Jonsson. Walking from Woking!

My Blog:- http://walkingfromwoking.blogspot.co.uk/ [nofollow]

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:51:38, 30/04/17 »
Great to see how much you enjoyed the walk :)  Thanks for the photos and TR.

You're right - canal towpaths usually provide really excellent routes into cities. Towpaths can also be incorporated into long distance walks (for example from the East End of London to the heart of Manchester).
Skip

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:46:30, 30/04/17 »
Great to see how much you enjoyed the walk :)  Thanks for the photos and TR.

You're right - canal towpaths usually provide really excellent routes into cities. Towpaths can also be incorporated into long distance walks (for example from the East End of London to the heart of Manchester).
Having walked, over time, from Land's End to Kirk Yetholm next month I am walking from KY over to Milngavie incorporating the Union Canal and the Forth & Clyde Canal (and the Falkirk Wheel).  Having already walked the WHW & the GGW I will then walk from Inverness to John O'Groats to finish on 30 May.  I would have preferred to walk all LEJoG in one go but such is life!

Krotteotr

« Reply #10 on: 18:34:57, 05/05/17 »
Those cottages which were mistaken for a pub are near to the village of Barlaston.   There is a canalside pub at Barlaston, The Plume of Feathers, where the Real Ale is generally in superb condition.
The Caldon Canal wends it's way Eastward from Stoke through some very pretty countryside near Leek.  Well worth a towpath walk and The Hollybush Inn at Denford is in an idyllic hilly setting.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy