Author Topic: Best Long Distance Path....  (Read 3699 times)

Raferjefferson

Best Long Distance Path....
« on: 22:00:17, 02/05/17 »
...if you have a dog and want to avoid endless detours around cattle.

Recent experiences have made me a bit chicken.

I was eyeing Cleveland Way but someone informs me the cliff sections can be dangerous for dogs, especially a head-first-think-later Lab!

Basically, I am thinking whichever one is mainly in national parks but I seem to remember sheep and cows in abundance on the bits of Penine way I have done.

I am sure further canine/bovine battles may be unavoidable but any ideas on the safest route with a dog - she isn't my dog so a bit cautious.

cheers,

RJ III

TrishnBonnie

Re: Best Long Distance Path....
« Reply #1 on: 07:27:24, 03/05/17 »
I'm very interested in any answers to this question too as I stick to lanes and cycle paths to avoid cows :)

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:16:51, 03/05/17 »

I have done a lot of LDPs with my dog who is now blind and cannot come on the rougher ones. The best one I ever did with him was John O'Groats to Lands' End - not really any problems with cattle and he is great around sheep (border collie).

Of the shorter ones I would say Cambrian Way was excellent - loads of sheep but you need to train your dog to behave or keep it on a lead.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:13:56, 03/05/17 »
My observations may be off topic for complete LDW's, but it may be worth while mentioning the change in farming practices. This has created very large areas of stock free agricultural land, as was pointed out to me by a farmer located between the 2 market towns of Shrewsbury and Wellington. I knew him as I was a farm manager for 17 years, though this was many years ago. He told me there was not a single herd of cows between these 2 towns. The size of milking herds has increased from 40-60 head immediately post war to 500+ today, concentrating them certain areas. The increase in grass fed beef will put more cattle out on pastures, but this tends to be marginal land, that not too suited for cultivation. Hill sheep will be on higher ground but these are far more extensive because of the decrease in hill farming subsidies.

The need for continuity of way in lowland areas is important. There are areas where long routes can be found in areas, which are solely arable, but if they are under walked the county councils may not be paying them enough attention. Most Access teams divide their access networks in to priorities so the do not waste money on underused paths. In the past I have tended to walk hills in high summer when the lowlands are at their most verdant and least passable.

Many of the problems I read on this forum and others should be taken to the local LAF's, when I was a member of a LAF there were too little public participation from users.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

TrishnBonnie

« Reply #4 on: 11:23:16, 03/05/17 »
I have done a lot of LDPs with my dog who is now blind and cannot come on the rougher ones. The best one I ever did with him was John O'Groats to Lands' End - not really any problems with cattle and he is great around sheep (border collie).

Of the shorter ones I would say Cambrian Way was excellent - loads of sheep but you need to train your dog to behave or keep it on a lead.
it's me that has the fear of cows I'm fine with sheep  :-[

Bonnie is well behaved will look at the Cambrian way :)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:37:54, 03/05/17 »
Possibly too far to go but I don't recall ever passing through cows on the West Highland Way or Great Glen Way trails in Scotland.

I just did the South Downs Way and went through fields with cows only twice, (near Devils Dyke and Alfriston) though there was "evidence" to suggest a couple more fields may have cows in them at some time.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:05:09, 03/05/17 »
There are cows before Crianlarich heading north before you cross the main road. No cattle at all as I remember on the GHW which is a good intro for LDPs.

Raferjefferson

« Reply #7 on: 15:47:23, 03/05/17 »
There are cows before Crianlarich heading north before you cross the main road. No cattle at all as I remember on the GHW which is a good intro for LDPs.

is that GHW the west highland way or the great glen way?

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:22:47, 03/05/17 »

is that GHW the west highland way or the great glen way?

Sorry slip  of the fingers. GGW no cattle WHW cattle.

Raferjefferson

« Reply #9 on: 16:33:03, 03/05/17 »

Sorry slip  of the fingers. GGW no cattle WHW cattle.

That's really encouraging as I researched both on your recommendation and it said the WHW was very, very busy....the GGW is tempting now.  Long way for me living in Bristol though, but having been to Scotland, it puts the scenery of my beloved England to shame...and Wales, I found the Cairngorms in Spring like visiting another planet!

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:59:21, 03/05/17 »

That's really encouraging as I researched both on your recommendation and it said the WHW was very, very busy....the GGW is tempting now.  Long way for me living in Bristol though, but having been to Scotland, it puts the scenery of my beloved England to shame...and Wales, I found the Cairngorms in Spring like visiting another planet!

The GGW is mostly a low level walk though beside canals and a couple of lochs, you don't go really high although there are a couple of new higher sections that have recently been opened.

Day 3 on my trip report will show you the difference... www.brians-walks.co.uk/great-glen-way.html
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

norfolkboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:53:43, 04/05/17 »
Peddars Way and the Norfolk Coastal Path ,no cattle anywhere but plenty of views.
Hers to a long life and a merry one
A quick death and a easy one
A pretty girl and a honest one
A cold beer and another one

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:14:26, 07/05/17 »
The swcp which I am currently walking, seems to have more dogs than people O0

bobdole

« Reply #13 on: 17:53:04, 19/05/17 »
Highly recommend the GGW. Just finished the WHW and GGW. GGW was not busy at all, but the views and walk is great. Upper sections are great over Loch Ness.
Follow me on my hikes and watch old hikes I have completed.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrPMQRA4-rZiec21396zeVQ

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:25:44, 20/05/17 »

Just finished the St Cuthberts Way and though there were a few cows, the path was fenced off round the field edge to make a barrier between us and them, for which we were very grateful as they had calves and didn't look all that friendly.
After the first day we hardly met a soul til we reached Holy Island, apart from a few round St Cuthberts Cave.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy