Author Topic: East of Crib y Rhiw - Ganllwyd to Taicynhaeaf  (Read 1444 times)

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
East of Crib y Rhiw - Ganllwyd to Taicynhaeaf
« on: 15:48:02, 14/05/17 »
Having recently posted my jaunt along Crib y Rhiw it seemed appropriate to follow on with this trip from last year through 'The land God gave to Cain'.

I took the morning bus from Dolgellau to Ganllwyd and initially walked down to the Afon mawddach to view the 'new' bridge across the river. I had yet to see the replacement for the original swept away in 2001. 

Returning to the main road I took the minor road alongside the tin village hall and walked alongside the Afon Gamlan as it tumbled through rocks and pretty scenery

Further on a left turn through the woodland brought me to Rhaeadr Du (black fall). This double fall is best viewed after rainfall and today it was running well.

Continuing past the fall and then turning west I crossed the tarred road coming from Ty'n y Groes. I then continued south west towards the Cefn Coch gold mine passing the old powder magazine on the way.

A further 200 yards brought me to the main adit of the mine. Cefn Coch was the third richest mine in the Dolgellau gold belt and as it is within national Trust land it has been (so far) spared fencing off by Crown Estates. You can enter the adit if you have a head torch, helmet, short legs and a little courage. I haven't been in  ;D

An elevated tramway embankment leads to the remains of the processing mill.

I returned to the tarred road which soon degenerates into a trackway which I followed to the two Gwndwn farms and then along a path through trees to reach the forest road. A view of the Rhinogs now dominates the skyline Y Llethr taking centre stage

My next way point was the shooting lodge of Hafod y Brenhin. I could have taken the direct track passing close to the derelict farmhouse of Cefn Cam but experience told me that I would end up with water over the boot tops had I gone that way. The 1882 OS map shows the whole area as 'subject to flooding' - and nothing has altered! The land north of the forest road is one large bog, unsuitable for sheep or tree planting. A friend who lived near Ganllwyd used to refer to it as Poole's Bog after a visitor of that name who went off piste, became bogfast to his knees and only extricated himself by flopping backwards and crawling out. When Mr Poole returned to her house he resembled the beast from 40 fathoms.

View north east towards Craig y Ganllwyd

View across the Gamlan headwaters with Hafod y Brenhin now visible in the distance

I now turned off the forest road to reach the Hafod. It was built around 1890 for the occupiers and visitors of Dolmelynllyn hall to enable them to have the pleasure of slaughtering grouse. Years of no game keeping have resulted in the decline of the grouse. The woodland trust in neighbouring Coed Cwm Mynach have failed to find a breeding pair. i heard grouse in nearby Cwm Llechen 10 years aago but nothing since. Occasionally human life is seen at the Hafod but there is no mains anything and no phone signal. (and no noisy neighbours!) Could appeal to some.

Nearby stands the ancient Pont y Brenhin an example of early bridge building.

I continued northwards searching for the remains of a medieval farmhouse which once stood hereabouts with extant walled fields running up to Crib y Rhiw but I couldn't find it. I ended up among the ruins of Cefn Cam slate quarry. Only ruins and waste heaps but a great wild camp location. Water and shelter; someone had already been there.

Some years ago I tried to find the path from the quarry to the ruins of Cefn Cam farmhouse, The only purpose it would have served would be a shortcut for the quarrymen returning to Ganllwyd. The quarry closed around 1880 so after a century of no use the path exists only as a line on the OS map.

I now retraced my steps to the forest road and walked down Cwm Mynach to Taicynhaeaf. I was going to look in at Coed Cwm Mynach to see what the Woodland Trust were doing but it's a work in progressin what is a North Wales rain forest with paths being cleared. Leave that until next year, Plod on, trees and rock.

And of course I reached the A496 just in time to see the bus whiz by. Do I wait an hour or cross to Penmaenpool for a pint and then walk a further two miles home. Decisions, decisions. Then a neighbour pulled up and gave me a lift home - or should I say - to the pub.

« Last Edit: 17:33:42, 14/05/17 by Penygadair »

adalard

• Veteran Member
Re: East of Crib y Rhiw - Ganllwyd to Taicynhaeaf
« Reply #1 on: 10:43:27, 15/05/17 »

Thanks for another great TR, Penygadair - and introduction to another fascinating looking walk route. Enjoyed that!  O0

You can enter the adit if you have a head torch, helmet, short legs and a little courage. I haven't been in  ;D

Well, I've got short legs so I suppose that's a start - I'll have to work on the rest before I visit...

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Re: East of Crib y Rhiw - Ganllwyd to Taicynhaeaf
« Reply #2 on: 18:36:50, 15/05/17 »
That's my type of walk, great stuff  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy