Author Topic: Snowdon via Y LLiwed - practicalities/advice  (Read 1904 times)

GCab

Snowdon via Y LLiwed - practicalities/advice
« on: 16:18:20, 15/05/17 »
Hello - new user here as you can see, and new to Snowdonia (usual stamping ground is the Lakes).  I'd be very grateful for some thoughts on this:

We're heading up Snowdon (reasonably sensible weather allowing) over the bank holiday weekend with a small group.  Two of the guys are off legs for various reasons, so will take the train up to meet us and make sure I haven't incompetently managed to maim or lose their girlfriends; and the rest of us will walk up.  Although the walking group (4 or perhaps 6) could of course just walk down again like on any other mountain, a one-way train descent appeals, both for social convenience (so the others don't have to wait for us at both ends) and, well, enlightened laziness/novelty value :)

Your kind advice is requested on two fronts

1) Route: I was thinking Pen y Pass (most probably via Park/ride via Nant Peris, from what I read) to Y LLiwed and up (I read that toward the end it's better to aim off to Bwlch y Saethau to avoid the scree scramble); hopefully to catch the train with our friends for the down trip, but with the Pyg Track descent as our backup plan.  Given that some will be going up from Llanberis and some/all of us returning there, we need to be on this side of the mountain.

Questions are:
(a) roughly how long extra is this likely to take compared to the Pyg Track - about an hour?
(b) how daunting is the scree climbing toward the end near summit, for those not used to it?  I read somewhere it's better to aim off onto Bwlch y Saethau and follow the south ridge from there, so may try this.
(c) if we don't get the train down (see below), roughly how long is the Pyg Track descent?  I'm keen to avoid this because one of the group (the youngest and fittest!) struggles with her knees in descent, and from what I can see the Pyg is a bit of a big stone staircase.  So it would be very useful to know how much to allow.

Which leads onto...

2) How practical is it these days to 'catch' a train down from the top, on a bank holiday Sunday?  We'd read that you need to book because walkers planning a walk-up & train-down trip tend to get caught out otherwise, so we planning to do this; but the current info now seems to be that you can't book, and a return ticket is only valid if stamped at departure at Llanberis.  Any advice on whether / how best to take our chances (does an early start make a difference?).

Sorry for all the questions.  I just don't want to be over-optimistic/over-ambitious given that it's a mixed group of friends (our friendly local is one of those who are out of action and taking the train, so I'm a stray Lakes person acting as Snowdon guide for a bunch of other out-of-area people...).

Thanks very much!

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
Re: Snowdon via Y LLiwed - practicalities/advice
« Reply #1 on: 17:55:04, 15/05/17 »
I will try to address your questions one at a time
If you are thinking of the train down I would try and book it as the chances of being able to hop on at the summit are slim to none especially on a bank holiday

On how long the PYG  track would take its about 3.5 miles and 2500ft of descent and if your friends knees are an issue it can be a bit knee wrecking it would take me around 1 and a half hours at a reasonable pace but I am fairly fit and sure footed so you would have make your own estimate also it would leave you on the wrong side of the pass so a bus would be needed as you have mentioned but maybe your friends could enjoy Llanberis while waiting for you the train is about an hour each way

Maybe coming down the Llanberis path itself might be a good idea easier on the knees for one thing would might be slightly quicker than PYG as its easier ground but a mile longer although you don't have to hang around for the bus also it does have nice views on the way down

I left Lliwedd till last it will take you longer than the PYG as it has more ups and downs, it has some mid grade 1 scrambling and as you mentioned the plod up to the Watkin, Rhyd ddu junction is steep with some scree and taking the east ridge to avoid the scree is a grade 1 scramble but quite loose in places and an unforgiving drop to your right so how is your group with scrambling?
Hope this helps

GCab

« Reply #2 on: 08:24:37, 17/05/17 »
Thanks very much!  All of this is very helpful.

The train FAQ says they now only allow down-only tickets to be bought on the day at the start point (i.e. the summit, not LLanberis), when chances of being sold out are high as you say - so the info about walking down LLanberis rather than PYG is likely to come in very useful.

I think steep plus loose plus drop (for access to the East ridge) may be too much of a scramble for the group, so I'll try to gauge how tiresome the Watkin/Rhydd Dhu crossing plod is, from whatever information is out there.  The reason for avoiding the PYG on the way up is that from the photos it looks like a big stone staircase through the valley - am I doing it an injustice?

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:16:32, 17/05/17 »
The reason for avoiding the PYG on the way up is that from the photos it looks like a big stone staircase through the valley - am I doing it an injustice?

Yes you are really, it's a slendid route. The only problem with it is it's so bleedin' busy! More so on a nice B/H weekend.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:26:02, 17/05/17 »
Another problem you may have is with train timings; At weekends and holidays etc, it can get so busy that you're told which train you'll be on. Some years ago I turmed with with missus HH and youngsters at 11am, booked on and were told our 'slot' will be at 16:00, so see you then... The time didn't matter to us at the time as the kids just wanted the ride on the train up.

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:20:27, 18/05/17 »
I agree you are doing the PYG track an injustice it is quite a nice path and with mountains all around you it has quite an epic feel to it but it does get far too busy which is why I tend to avoid Snowdon like the plague unless it's a midweek winter day

GCab

« Reply #6 on: 07:39:45, 22/05/17 »
Thanks to everyone for the info.  It sounds as if meeting two people at the top on a Bank Holiday Sunday (let alone us all getting the train down afterward) may be much trickier than we thought, if they can't choose which train...

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:59:21, 22/05/17 »
I don't know about waiting for trains, you may have to wait to get to the trig!!!!
Enjoy  O0
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/snowdon-overwhelmed-visitors-epic-tv-13063620

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy