Author Topic: TR: Nantgwynant North-West 2-day backpack  (Read 1697 times)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
TR: Nantgwynant North-West 2-day backpack
« on: 19:32:40, 28/05/17 »
A leisurely 2-day traversal of the north-western side of Nantgwynant, visiting Craig Fach, Llyn Llydaw and the Hafod y Llan walk above Craflwyn Hall, some new pockets of Wales for us to explore and giving us a superb pitch on the eastern ridge of Y Lliwedd.

At 609m, Craig Fach is in the elite group of Dewey hills that are also Sims, one of three that we had yet to claim. It is also a fine example of a hill that we probably wouldn't otherwise have explored due to its very close proximity to the most popular honeypot in Wales, but turns out to be a secluded and delightful little gem.

None of our previous trips to the area have included the lakes enclosed by the Snowdon horseshoe, this was an opportunity to visit one of them, Llyn Llydaw, and view the mountain architecture from a new perspective.

Full report & photos

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Re: TR: Nantgwynant North-West 2-day backpack
« Reply #1 on: 20:16:33, 28/05/17 »
Great stuff, really enjoyed that  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:25:36, 29/05/17 »
Excellent TR.  O0   An interesting route I would never have thought of. Great views of Llyn Llydaw. Tempted to have a look myself.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:09:56, 29/05/17 »
Another stunning report and photos from you, and what a novel route! As I am contemplating walking a low-level route around the Snowdon massif in the autumn I was particularly grateful to be informed of the National Trust's Hafod y Llan route - plus your corrections - it'll be more interesting than the south of Llyn Dinas and Sygun way to Beddgelert.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:38:29, 29/05/17 »
Enjoyed that TR and some lovely photos. Thanks for sharing  O0

Regards Keith

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:29:29, 29/05/17 »
Thanks very much all, perfect weather again for this one and enjoyable new fragments of Wales too.

fernman: I remember that Snowdon circumnavigation idea from years ago, either in TGO or Trail, the article was called 'Snowdon without the summit'. The main problem people found (very few tried it I'm quite sure) was on the east side descending to Llyn Glas and then trying to find the elusive path above Dinas Mot round to Pen-y-pass.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:45:11, 29/05/17 »
You are so-o-o right! I actually have a copy of "Snowdon Without the Summit" from TGO, March 1995, and I attempted it in 2002. I got down into Cwm Glas without too much trouble from a point east of Clogwyn, but the way from there to Bwlch y Moch defeated me so I ended up following the stream down to Llanberis Pass and trudging up the road to Pen y Pass.

What I am cobbling together this time is going to be based on a 2005 Country Walking article headed "Coming Round the Mountain" together with a lengthy pdf (109 pages) called "Walking Around Snowdon" that is available online, while about 10 years ago I obtained a 9-page document called "Once Around the Mountain" from the National Park themselves, who also presented me with a leaflet with details of a path that goes up the aforementioned Pass parallel with the road. I will happily send copies of any of these to anyone who PMs me with an email address.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:47:51, 30/05/17 »
Not been on here much for various reasons and just looked in to this section. Not read your TR yet Geoff but are you on about the so called Snowdon girdle walk when you talk about Snowdon without the summit? Looks a very interesting and hard couple of days. I may have to look a bit closer
http://www.mudandroutes.com/the-snowdon-girdle-walking-route/

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:20:25, 30/05/17 »
are you on about the so called Snowdon girdle walk when you talk about Snowdon without the summit?

I haven't heard the title 'Snowdon Girdle Walk' but I just looked it up and obtained a GPX file for it (no thanks to the mudandroutes link, that website covers up the content until I sign up for something:- instant goodbye). I don't have the details for the 'Snowdon without the summit' route, but the girdle route has elements I don't recognize, e.g. climbing directly up to the col between Crib Goch and Crib y Ddysgl and down to the Pyg track.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:48:46, 30/05/17 »
I have read about it a few times online and in one of the mags, trail I think, a couple of years back, I have the copy somewhere in the house. A bit much for me all in one go as I have never wild camped but something to break down for a long weekend or a couple of trips.
Back to your original post and another cracker and one that I was recently looking at with a bit of variation. Going up and over "The Horns" from Pen y Pass is my favourite way to start or finish a day on Snowdon. Great stuff  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy