Author Topic: Cwmorthin & Rhosydd 09/05/17 Part 1  (Read 2065 times)

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Cwmorthin & Rhosydd 09/05/17 Part 1
« on: 17:14:22, 05/06/17 »
I hadn't been to Cwmorthin since 2014 and was keen to see what progress had been made in securing the historic buildings in this delightful post industrial valley. I parked at the Ffestiniog railway station at Tanygrisiau (eng; Under the steps) and firstly enjoyed a caffeine hit at the Lakeside Cafe whilst looking out over Llyn Ystradau. "The Steps" is derived from the ancient packhorse route through Cwmorthin on to Croesor, Nantmor and Caernarfon, but the original steps have long disappeared under slate workings.

I then walked uphill to the track which leads into the valley. Great delight to see that a full width locked metal gate had been installed to rid the valley of the scourge of scrambling bikes. First port of call was the terraece of houses known as Cwmorthin Terrace or Tai Llyn. The original four houses were stone built and are beyond any repair. The later four slate built houses were deteriorating rapidly but the walls have now been repointed and capped. At one stage 70 people lived in the eight one up, one down cottages. Each had a fuel store and two seater earth privy to the rear. (two seats are useful if you haven't got an en-suite)

I then walked round to the lakeside entrance to Cwmorthin Quarry (The Abbatoir). This is now in the hands of the Go Below organisation and guided tours underground are available.

A rather attractive white cottage at the lakeside is undergoing renovation. (I'll mention this again later in part 2 ) Behind it are the ruins of the quarry manager's house.

From this point I looked back across to Cwmorthin Terrace lying below Craig Wrysgan which showed the isolation of this small community.

Returning to the main track I noticed another small ruin. This is Capel Tibereas which reputedly held 100 worshipers. Sardines come to mind.

A look back across the lake towards the quarry entrance

The track is now edged by a slate fence separating the land of Cwmorthin Uchaf farm from the Conglog tramway which shared the trackway

Further on is Rhosydd Chapel (Capel Gorlan) which has received some remedial work, but the rear wall is beyond repair unless someone has the time and money

Just beyond and hidden some pine trees is the house of the Rhosydd Quarry manager; a fine house with room for his family and servants. The well is still there but covered over. There was a serious proposal to convert this building to a cafe but lack of sanitation put an end to that.

The end of the valley is now reached and an assortment of buildings are present. The mill of the Conglog Quarry and what was originally Rhosydd Stables for the packhorses which carried the slate down the valley. Rhosydd refused to use the Conglog tramway as they would not pay the Ffestiniog Railway's carriage costs and built their own tramway down Cwm Croesor to Porthmadog. The redundant stables were then converted to cottages and it is recorded that 13 people lived in a one up one down. Husband, wife, nine children and two lodgers. The kids slept upstairs with a curtain separating boys from girls. Husband and wife slept downstairs. History has not recorded where the lodgers slept.

The track continues uphill towards Rhosydd. I'll leave that and the return leg for a second post.
« Last Edit: 18:36:16, 05/06/17 by Penygadair »

redeye

• Veteran Member
Re: Cwmorthin & Rhosydd 09/05/17 Part 1
« Reply #1 on: 20:45:16, 05/06/17 »
Nice one and informative. Nice to know about a bit of history surrounding these places. I like a snoop around when walking round them.  O0

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:45:54, 05/06/17 »
I've walked around Cwmorthin so really enjoyed that  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:18:11, 05/06/17 »
Lovely photos and a very interesting and informative read :)
An area I've neglected a bit for a while but will put that right very soon.

Can I ask - is there ample parking at Tanygrisiau?

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:23:58, 05/06/17 »
Interesting trip report, thanks for sharing  O0

Regards Keith

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:47:30, 06/06/17 »
Can I ask - is there ample parking at Tanygrisiau?

Plenty. I parked at the Ffestiniog railway station as I intended to come back down the road from the Stwlan Dam. Weekdays you may be allowed to park at the Lakeside Cafe if you patronise it. There's room for about 10 cars on the approach road to Cwmorthin.  Go past the station and cafe, turn right uphill. Go over a bridge and turn left (Rhes Dolrhedyn from memory) Parking is about 100 yards on before the locked metal gate. Exercise some care as there was a spate of car break-ins a couple of years back.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:12:24, 06/06/17 »
I really enjoyed that, thanks Penygadair - I don't know that area at all and it was fascinating to read about the history and see the accompanying pictures. Looks well worth a visit.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:17:04, 06/06/17 »
Thanks for the comments guys. I'll try to post part 2 now - if Photobucket is working again (down this morning -grrr!)

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:31:27, 06/06/17 »

Plenty. I parked at the Ffestiniog railway station as I intended to come back down the road from the Stwlan Dam. Weekdays you may be allowed to park at the Lakeside Cafe if you patronise it. There's room for about 10 cars on the approach road to Cwmorthin.  Go past the station and cafe, turn right uphill. Go over a bridge and turn left (Rhes Dolrhedyn from memory) Parking is about 100 yards on before the locked metal gate. Exercise some care as there was a spate of car break-ins a couple of years back.

thank you very much for the info, and the advise.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:03:33, 06/06/17 »
great pics and an interesting read  O0
love the pic with the slate fence 8)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:20:57, 07/06/17 »
Great pics Penygadair  O0 Interesting place.
Hate will never win

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:00:45, 08/06/17 »
The buildings in those photos looked very familiar BUT I could not place them so I got the climbing guides out and realised its an area us climbers know as the Moelwyns.

The Moelwyns are well known as alternative options to rain blighted mountain crags, and we have had many dry days in this area when the main snowdonia hills were soaking wet.

Most climbing days involve walking BUT the only pure walk I have done here was up Cnicht.

Its certainly an interesting place.......well worth thinking about if you are sat in the rain in Llanberis.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy