Author Topic: feeling low on solo trips- how to help prevent it?  (Read 3653 times)

Trampilot

Re: feeling low on solo trips- how to help prevent it?
« Reply #15 on: 17:26:06, 13/07/17 »
Havent been on here in ages! But its a subject close to my heart.

Most of my walks are solo. Mainly because nobody I know can accompany me. My wife will give it a go but has been suffering from a myriad of injuries that curtail any long walks. I also get depression but find the objectivity of following the route without having anyone to discuss or negotiate with a positive thing. Essentially - if you get into a mess - it's your fault! Keeps my mind clear.

I'm pretty well used to my own company anyway so having some peace away from people is quite relaxing. You do get used to it. I often take a notepad with me for the evenings so I can jot down the days events or anything else that came into my mind.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:48:20, 13/07/17 »
I generally don't have time to be down or feel lonely, I mean I never feel lonely when on the move or in cafe or pub snatching something to eat. i can strike up a conversation with just about anyone. I pitch late when I'm knacked, so I'm soon off to sleep, no time to feel lonely or anything else apart from blister pain sometimes. On the move there is so much going on, with the weather, the sky, rivers, fields, mountains, they are my company so I'm never alone, I embrace it all and find myself talking to the birds and sheep. They never answer back, or maybe they do, I'd love to know what they are saying!

des65

« Reply #17 on: 12:42:56, 15/07/17 »
Often, walking is the only time we get to be alone and to truly think without distraction. In that environment it is common to evaluate life, which can of course lead to good and bad thoughts. Spending time in nature is the best therapy, for me at least.
Love to walk in the Pennine hills.
Dabbling in glamping [nofollow] and relaxing [nofollow]

MudMagnet

« Reply #18 on: 15:22:32, 11/08/17 »
It's strange how the mind works.  I have sympathy for you.  I've not experienced that low feeling while walking or camping, however I do tend to travel with a buddy.
I do find myself getting down if I've not had an opportunity to get out for a while though.  Just having a trip planned can snap me out of it, spend more time planning, packing, unpacking and re-packing that actually walking and camping I think.
I like the suggestion of the talking book and I use them in the car when travelling for a walk.  May help. 

Don't let it beat you.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 00:39:13, 12/08/17 »
I think I suffer the opposite of this!  I love the fact I'm beholden to nobody when I'm walking alone.  The fed-up-ness kicks in when I have to return to the real world and be at everyone else's beck and call  :-\

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy