Author Topic: "Greenspace" - new map layer on OS Maps.  (Read 1125 times)

adalard

• Veteran Member
"Greenspace" - new map layer on OS Maps.
« on: 15:43:48, 06/07/17 »
I just logged into OS Maps to plot potential routes and I noticed that there's a new map layer available called "Greenspace", sandwiched in the menu between the OS Leisure and National Park Pathways layers. There doesn't seem to be much to it but it's dotted with shaded patches, presumably the green spaces in question.

I'm assuming that these are lower level areas accessible to the public maybe? There are different shades but I can't find a key anywhere to their meaning or anything about the new layer at all.

I was wondering if anyone here knew anything more detailed about it?  :)

harland

• Veteran Member

adalard

• Veteran Member
Re: "Greenspace" - new map layer on OS Maps.
« Reply #2 on: 16:53:30, 06/07/17 »
Ah, thanks, Harland - much appreciated!  O0 :)

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:17:30, 11/07/17 »
Cheers, Rambling Oldie.  O0

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:40:08, 14/07/17 »
I'm not the only one confused by this new OS product, it turns out.

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2017/07/14/new-os-map-details-green-spaces-but-critics-say-it-fails-to-deliver

The issue of accessibility is one that puzzled me: Fairfield Common is marked on the OS Greenspace layer as accessible but is actually the site of Buxton & High Peak Golf Club and its edges lined with "Private - Members Only" signs (apart from a by-way that cuts across part of it).  Apparently other not-really-public "green spaces" such as allotments and school playing fields have been included too.

Seems like a bit more tweaking could have been done before they launched.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy