Author Topic: Snowdon Horseshoe - overnight  (Read 5537 times)

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
Re: Snowdon Horseshoe - overnight
« Reply #15 on: 16:14:02, 15/07/17 »
Wow - that is a stunning photo! I have never walked up Snowdon, so obviously not been along Crib Goch - your photo makes me want to do it and be in awe of it in equal measure!

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:57:29, 15/07/17 »
Thank you Sarah :)

Unless you have a particular problem with exposure/vertigo, you (or anyone else who hasn't done it) would absolutely love Crib Goch. The rock is secure, has good hand-holds, and maintains interest throughout which takes your mind off the effort required.
Beware though - it's addictive, I genuinely don't know how many times I've been across, and for this reason I was keen to do it at night.

Roll on the next full moon!  :D

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:22:15, 15/07/17 »
TBH I love a bit of hand on rock! You are inspiring me and giving me confidence. (Just like April did for me wet Climbers Travers on Bowfell.)

I have managed Swirral and Striding Edges no problem. And on Jack's Rake I needed the occasional push from behind as I am of rather short statue. However I admit to freezing on Sharp Edge - at the usual spot. O/H, who has zero head for exposure, had to talk me over it. Foule Crag was a doddle compared to my moment on Sharp Edge.

So, where does Crib Goch sit amongst those? I appreciate it's longer but if you really feel the hand holds are secure and the exposure no more than the above (except Sharp Edge)  I might propose it to the Hubby.

Actually you have reminded me that the High Level Route on Pillar is also on my to-do list...

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:40:17, 15/07/17 »
OK Sarah, the exposure is far more apparent than Striding, Swirral and Sharp Edges. I'll try to compare CG with something you're familiar with...

Imagine a horizontal Jack's Rake with the same drop on both sides, and about twice as long.

Maybe someone can give a better description?

The High Level Route on Pillar is a walk apart from a 'slabby' bit that can be a bit tricky when wet.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 22:55:41, 15/07/17 »
Fantastic photos. I really hope that one day I can get the courage to do the Snowdon Horseshoe - fancy a night hike on Snowdon too but not sure about combining them. Maybe it would be easier if the drop was harder to see?  ;)

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:59:49, 16/07/17 »

I have managed Swirral and Striding Edges no problem. And on Jack's Rake I needed the occasional push from behind as I am of rather short statue. However I admit to freezing on Sharp Edge - at the usual spot. O/H, who has zero head for exposure, had to talk me over it. Foule Crag was a doddle compared to my moment  on Sharp Edge.

So, where does Crib Goch sit amongst those? I appreciate it's longer but if you really feel the hand holds are secure and the exposure no more than the above (except Sharp Edge)  I might propose it to the Hubby.

OK Sarah, the exposure is far more apparent than Striding, Swirral and Sharp Edges. I'll try to compare CG with something you're familiar with...

Imagine a horizontal Jack's Rake with the same drop on both sides, and about twice as long.

Maybe someone can give a better description?

Not sure about description but i'll give you my opinion (as someone who is scared of heights).

Crib Gogh falls in between Sharp Edge and Striding/Swirral.

Took me 3 attempts over 3 years to get over Sharp Edge.  Froze the first 2 times and had to go back.  Scared ****less lol.

Finally made in on the 3rd attempt with a group of 4 friends.   Had to crawl a bit but I made it.

Striding/Swirral.  Only done once.  No probs.  Significantly less wobbly knees factor than Sharp Edge.

Crib Gogh i've done about 4 times.  The first time I wasn't nervous at all.  I'll add that I was with someone extremely confident/competent and that helped immensely.  Loved it.  Significantly longer than Sharp/Striding so the fun lasts a whole lot longer.

Was my fave ridge walk until Aonagh Eagach came along.....

Horses for courses though and everyone is a bit different when it comes to exposure etc.

Everything gets easier though as you constantly set the bar higher.  I went across Sharp Edge last year (after a 3 year absence) and practically waltzed over it like Julie Andrews strolling along to The Sound of Music ;D

So i'd say to Sarah, go for it.   Just make sure you're with someone who was done it before if in any doubt O0

I cannot wait to do it again but injuries have most likely ruled it out for this year. >:(

If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 23:08:04, 16/07/17 »
What a great forum this is - everyone so helpful with experience. Thanks.

I have to say I was watching YouTube videos of people on crib goch this morning - there was one of a chap stuck on it and needing coaxing. I could feel his fear!!

I have one friend who has walked Crub Goch - however I know it was a big challenge for her so she's probably not the best person to take - although I may ask her a bit more about it, now.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 00:14:05, 17/07/17 »
So, where does Crib Goch sit amongst those?

IMO Crib Goch feels substantially more exposed (and is more committing) than Sharp Edge. It's also a lot longer. Both need a good head for heights, careful footwork and concentration - you really don't want to fall off either.

Striding Edge is far less intimidating than either Crib Goch and Sharp Edge. Swirral Edge is short and comparatively easy but unpleasant and scratty underfoot. That said, people die on both Striding and Swirral edges so don't take them for granted.

Ranking  the three aretes is very subjective but IMO Crib Goch is longer, harder and higher than Sharp Edge while Striding Edge is much easier and less exposed than the other two.
Skip

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 18:17:06, 17/07/17 »
Sarah, I agree with Skip on this one. I loved the "scramble ups" doing the Snowdon Horseshoe but hated the arête on Crib Goch, IMO it is so much more difficult than Sharp Edge and for much longer and with a much bigger drop on both sides. I had to crawl across it just about  :-[  The thing is though, you will never know if you will be ok on it unless you try it.
Hate will never win

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:57:41, 17/07/17 »
I too agree with Skip.

If I were rating what I'd consider the 'most popular' ridge walks/scrambles in England and Wales in order of difficulty I'd go for:

Crib Goch (Snowdon)
Bristly Ridge (Glyder Fach)
Sharp Edge (Blencathra)
Jack's Rake (Pavey Ark)
North Ridge of (Tryfan)
Striding Edge (Helvellyn)
Swirral Edge (Helvellyn)
Hall's Fell (Blencathra)
Daear Ddu Ridge (Moel Siabod)

I've probably missed loads out, but these are the ones that immediately came into my head.
I doubt any two people are likely to have the same opinion.
« Last Edit: 19:04:23, 17/07/17 by Glyno »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 19:52:48, 17/07/17 »
Btw, stunning photos Glyno  O0
Hate will never win

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 20:01:05, 17/07/17 »
Thanks April :)

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 09:22:59, 18/07/17 »
...you will never know if you will be ok on it unless you try it.

I agree that's a key point, April. The only way to find out is to give it a go.

On the scramble up to the start of the Crib Goch arete I didn't know how I would react to the exposure. On the one hand, I hadn't previously had any  problems with height so I had no reason to suspect I'd react badly; but on the other hand I hadn't previously walked such a narrow ridge with such substantial drops below my feet.

As it turned out I found the traverse absorbing, thrilling and exhilarating - but the point is I couldn't have predicted that. Sure, I was acutely aware that a mis-step or a stumble would be potentially dangerous but that induced a sense of caution rather than anxiety.

Although I happened to be fine with Crib Goch I could readily see how the exposure could make people fearful and tense to the extent of freezing.

I think the answer is to build up to things stage by stage. See how you go on easier routes like Striding Edge. If you cope well there then move on to airier routes but if your knees turn to jelly stick to the less challenging ones.
Skip

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 17:58:52, 18/07/17 »
I think one of the big points is the weather. A good clear windless day is obviously the best but we know what mountains are like. The first time I did it it was windless but we had the clag so no views but I think that helped as you couldn't see the drops just the way ahead. I did it with a meet up off here a few years back and have done it quite a few times since. It is a joy if you get a good day. Sharp edge and striding edge do have escape paths just below the ridge if the weather does turn but crib goch, well.... another meet off here did it and the weather turned. Quite a day that was!!!!
If you go with someone who's done it a few times you should be ok. I took my daughter across the whole horseshoe and she loved it  O0

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 19:24:31, 18/07/17 »
I feel a Crib Goch meet could be on the horizon!  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy