Author Topic: Advice please waterproof trousers  (Read 1758 times)

Moorview

Advice please waterproof trousers
« on: 19:53:28, 09/07/17 »
Hi All, please advise.I have old waterproof trousers now leaking badly.I did serious walking many years ago and have a mardale jacket and dalewear fleece still going strong so am used to good long lasting equipment.
At long last I can now spend time walking :)  and need to replace my waterproof trousers and need advice as I am so out of touch with gear these days.  
Thanks all  

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Advice please waterproof trousers
« Reply #1 on: 21:03:05, 09/07/17 »
Berghaus Deluge are very popular and reasonably priced. 
Where there's a will ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 00:37:13, 10/07/17 »
ditto

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:14:28, 10/07/17 »
Theyre surprisingly good - another go-to product year on year. When you compare them to trousers over a hundred quid they always seem on a par with them
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:59:44, 10/07/17 »
I don't wear waterproof trousers, I choose to slip on a rain skirt these days, 10 - 20 seconds to put on, 5 - 10 seconds to take off! When I used waterproof trousers I always remember one tip from this site which I found to be so valuable. Carry a couple of supermarket plastic bags and when you put your trousers on slip a bag over your feet first. Nothing worse than mud, slurry, water and other gunge messing up the insides. My last pair of waterproof trousers were Berghaus Deluge, bought them for about £20 if I remember correctly.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:42:22, 10/07/17 »
Personally I'd go for something that's waterproof and comfortable to wear all the time, rather than an over-trouser that you need to slip on and off. Too much faff, especially in poor conditions.

The ones I prefer (and use most) are Paramo Cascada. Too warm for this time of year (but then I just use quick drying stuff for most summer walks, rather than full waterproofs), but use-able most year round, given they have full venting.

Like most Paramo gear, you need to wash them fairly often and re-prooof them from time to time to maintain a good level of proofing. But I've found them much more "water proof" than the lighter, cooler Paramo Velez trousers. (Not sure why, because never had any problem with Velez jacket.)

jethro10

« Reply #6 on: 13:26:47, 10/07/17 »
Personally I'd go for something that's waterproof and comfortable to wear all the time, rather than an over-trouser that you need to slip on and off. Too much faff, especially in poor conditions.

The ones I prefer (and use most) are Paramo Cascada. Too warm for this time of year (but then I just use quick drying stuff for most summer walks, rather than full waterproofs), but use-able most year round, given they have full venting.

Like most Paramo gear, you need to wash them fairly often and re-prooof them from time to time to maintain a good level of proofing. But I've found them much more "water proof" than the lighter, cooler Paramo Velez trousers. (Not sure why, because never had any problem with Velez jacket.)

That's basically what I do, Paramo for the worst times of the year, quick dry trousers (regatta currently) & normal waterproofs in the Rucksack, just in case, for rest of the year.
J

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:36:54, 10/07/17 »
Anything made by Montane.
I have two pairs of Montane over trousers, one waterproof, and the other a pair of their Featherlite pertex windproof over trousers.
The featherlites can be packed so small, that you can close your fist over them, and not know they are there, and are fine in light rain, but not stair rods stuff.

The featherlites are great for when its howling a gail, but there is no rain on the horizon.

The Montane trousers are beautifully made and are all manufactured from their Pertex material, which as we all know, is amongst the best windproof material on the market.

I have disliked GoreTex simply because the main manufacturers charge a huge premium for the material, and technology has improved incredibly since its introduction.

Just about all of Montanes clothing is lightweight, and the equal in quality of any of the bigger names.

Their current model, the Atomic trousers are similar in design to the ones i bought several years ago, and use Pertex.

At around £80, their not especially cheap, but compared to a GoreTex model from say Berhaus or Mountain Equipment, you will be saving enough money for a good meal out somewhere nice.

Moorview

« Reply #8 on: 19:45:04, 10/07/17 »
Thanks all

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:33:03, 10/07/17 »

Another vote for these.  Well priced, Easy to slip on over boots. Sturdy and er waterproof.  O0   Weak point, the waist draw string, needs to be pulled good and tight or they can fall down a little as your walking.

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:02:54, 10/07/17 »
Sprayway all day rainpant.

I have a number of pairs of 'waterproof' all day trousers, amazingly I have yet to 'prove' any of them.
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Moorview

« Reply #11 on: 19:00:38, 13/07/17 »
Thanks for all the help went for Berghaus Deluge in the end with a big discount from Amazon on prime day! Now I hope it guarantee so no rain for a while.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy