Author Topic: Hastacks-Fleetwith pike  (Read 1559 times)

dinger

Hastacks-Fleetwith pike
« on: 19:55:54, 11/07/17 »

Hi all just a little help were I went wrong please . Following my os map i followed from Gatescarth farm upto Haystacks passing innominate tarn and then passing I think black beck tarn I came to the old quarry reaching the hut/bothy shelter, looking on my map there is a very small zig zag path which should have take n me to the the route over Fleetwith pike back down to gatescarth farm but i could not find the path to it following the map so decended on the path next to it with the Ghyll/waterfall on my left.
Can anyone point out where I should have gone once reaching the quarry hut?

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Hastacks-Fleetwith pike
« Reply #1 on: 20:18:23, 11/07/17 »
There are two paths I know of onto Fleetwith Pike from near the quarry, one goes near to Black Star before reaching the summit the other one reaches the summit more directly traversing the side of the fell. If I remember correctly the paths start a bit further on from the hut.
Hate will never win

dinger

« Reply #2 on: 20:45:48, 11/07/17 »
So April you have to go on a quarry path? Which I saw but wasn't unsure of that, I saw I faded path next to a slate looking bridge or wall on either side but it was very faint and not zig zag which I ws looking for.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:54:36, 11/07/17 »
No, not a quarry path. I haven't got the os map to hand so cant think which path you are referring to, how it is shown on the map. I'm not sure the paths I know are actually marked on the map. If you head northward from the hut itself you would come across the narrow path that leads directly to the summit if you can't see where it starts.
Hate will never win

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:57:54, 11/07/17 »
...one reaches the summit more directly traversing the side of the fell ...the paths start a bit further on from the hut.

From Dubs, carry on along the mining track a little way and you will find a path  running north-west to the summit of Fleetwith Pike at approx NY 212 135. 

Or, as April says, from the quarry buildings just swing north up the fellside and you can pick up the path.

@ Dinger: What scale map were you using? The paths and tracks are marked on the !:25K
Skip

dinger

« Reply #5 on: 21:04:01, 11/07/17 »
Thanks for advise yes I was using 1:25, I thnk I rushed a little rather then thinking , I heard a clatter of thunder and thought sod it, so took the nearest path down.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:17:22, 11/07/17 »
I have just looked at the os map. One of the paths I was referring to, or at least the start of it is not shown on the os map. I see the quarry track you mentioned with the path leading from it. The path looks like it is the one I've done but I didn't use the quarry track to get to it if that makes sense  :) I see from the map the other one to Black Star leaves from near the Drum House so that one would be easier to locate, it is the more well used path to the summit and probably for that reason  :)
Hate will never win

dinger

« Reply #7 on: 21:21:29, 11/07/17 »
 O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:07:12, 11/07/17 »
Here is a trace of the path I followed (going in the opposite direction)
Solvitur Ambulando

MarkT

« Reply #9 on: 23:51:17, 11/07/17 »
I actually think this walk is better in reverse to what you did/attempted. Good views towards Great Gable and beyond on a good day as you reach Fleethwith pike and then walking towards Haystacks. Plus I think it's easier to go up rather than down Fleetwith.

The paths are alot easier to locate as you are looking down on them and just off the peak you can see down to the quarry house.

Armchair Hiker

« Reply #10 on: 09:22:51, 12/07/17 »
You can use OS maps premium and use the national park view with snap to route, but I think os maps is very heavy on battery usage.

But as I cycle a lot I use strava to record my walk and bike rides, and it has a routes function with 99% of paths on, make your route before hand and then use the follow route option when you go walking, and strava is very light on battery usage also :)

Strava heat maps is the best map view ever, it shows you everywhere folk have been with the app running :) , think of it veins and arterys of the country when you see it.
« Last Edit: 09:26:59, 12/07/17 by Armchair Hiker »

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:10:26, 12/07/17 »
... os maps is very heavy on battery usage...

The paper one isn't ;)
Skip

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:33:11, 12/07/17 »
The paper one isn't ;)

There are still people who use paper maps, how quaint  :2funny:
Solvitur Ambulando

Armchair Hiker

« Reply #13 on: 13:47:43, 13/07/17 »
The paper one isn't ;)

Then guy who posted said he went wrong while using his map, paper or not? Who knows.

I only provided info for two apps that have snap to routing and would have aided him in getting to the right pathway.

Solar chargers are cheap from eBay and Amazon, I have attached to my seat for long rides, and one that attaches to my day sack, and can give a decent charge when on the move or when resting.
« Last Edit: 13:53:54, 13/07/17 by Armchair Hiker »

Armchair Hiker

« Reply #14 on: 13:54:26, 13/07/17 »

Then guy who posted said he went wrong while using his map, paper or not? Who knows.

I only provided info for two apps that have snap to routing and would have aided him in getting to the right pathway.

Solar chargers are cheap from eBay and Amazon, I have attached one to my seat for long rides, and one that attaches to my day sack, and can give a decent charge when on the move or when resting.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy