Author Topic: TR - a brief note about bagging Blencathra  (Read 712 times)

Skip

• Veteran Member
TR - a brief note about bagging Blencathra
« on: 21:12:12, 11/07/17 »
I've finally completed the Wainwrights! It's taken me five years but, hey, why rush these things?

I saved the best until last - my 214th Wainwright was Blencathra via Sharp Edge. I walked with Smoky, -Dave- and Sara on Sunday 9th July. We were accompanied by Leaping Leo, Smoky's sure-footed little Patterdale Terrier cross.

We started after lunch having waited for the morning cloud to clear the summit. Leaving one car at Threlkeld, we drove the other to a layby on the A66 east of Scales. Our route was Mousethwaite Combe, Scales Tarn, Sharp Edge, Foules Crag and Halls Fell Top.

From the summit, Dave and Sara took their leave and descended Doddick Fell back to their car. Smoky and I traversed the rest of Blencathra to passing Gategil Fell Top and Knowe Crags before descending the zigzag path down Blease Fell to Threlkeld.

The highlight of the day was undoubtedly Sharp Edge - it's magnificent to look at and exhilarating to walk along with a lovely steep ascent on slabby rock at the end. Sadly it's very short so the fun is over all too soon.

I expect Dave will post some photos soon on his blog.
Skip

Glyno

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - a brief note about bagging Blencathra
« Reply #1 on: 21:18:52, 11/07/17 »
Well done Skip!

Definitely no need to rush :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:19:49, 11/07/17 »
Congratulations Skip, what a great mountain to finish on  O0
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:01:30, 11/07/17 »
Congrats.

I can just about imagine how you manage to walk Souther, Bannerdale Crags and Bowscale while resisting the big one but Mungrisedale Common  :o

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy