Author Topic: Llyn Elsi  (Read 2743 times)

Bucket

Llyn Elsi
« on: 20:31:42, 17/07/17 »

Good day all

A few years ago I did a walk from Betws-Y-Coed to Llyn Elsi which took in some forestry walking along with a Roman Road and Abandoned Village. I got the walk from Trail Magazine. My partner and I are just getting back into walking and I want to take her on the walk but I can no longer find the page from the Mag that I cut out and laminated. Does anyone have a digital copy of this walk that they would be willing to send me?

Regards Steve

snakehips

• Veteran Member
Re: Llyn Elsi
« Reply #1 on: 21:43:48, 17/07/17 »
Hi I know the walk well the roman road is sarn Helen and it is a nice walk I have a copy of it in a book somewhere I will try and find it for you failing that I would gladly walk the route with you hope this helps  O0 
they say that 50 is the new 21 (fingers crossed)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:25:46, 18/07/17 »
Check it out here;

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=278298&y=355266&z=115&sv=278298,355266&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=696&ax=278298&ay=355266&lm=0

Copy and paste this link into browser and click find the explorer map page, 3rd smallest bar on the map size selection. Sarn Helen roman road it easy to find, especially if you open the map to large screen.

Might do the route myself as I see it on the map, know that part of Wale pretty well, walk out SW on the Roman, turn W for Cwm Celyn at Rhiw goch, should be so great views south over the A470, then back round Llyn Elsi. Spect if there is any more info to pick up it should be ready available in the locality, that's what these 'guide' compilers do.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:17:18, 18/07/17 »
Simplest way is to follow the track that starts from the lane at the back of the church. Ignore any side tracks and paths and it will take you straight there. It's not a favourite of mine, though, for it seems to never stop going uphill!

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:49:45, 18/07/17 »
The OP mentioned a deserted village, easily found by googling a few names from the map on the link, Rhiwddolioan seems to fit the bill, I may have gone further than the Trail route in my imaginary trail suggested by the map. Certainly seems a gentle out walk coming back by the path suggested by Fernman. Two pints linked by the river side path.
BWW

snakehips

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:01:38, 18/07/17 »
 When I do this walk I carry on over to the lledr valley and follow the river down through the gorge then back up to llyn Elsie good 8 miles with some nice little climbs one of my favourite walks sarn Helen can really hurt you if you're suffering a hangover wife calls it [censored] hill  O0

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:23:06, 20/07/17 »
When I do this walk I carry on over to the lledr valley and follow the river down through the gorge then back up to llyn Elsie good 8 miles
Do you descend into the Lledr Valley from Cwmcelyn, to avoid too much engagement with the A470 this would appear to be best done by crossing the Afon Lledr and then going under the Pont Gethin viaduct though the RoW on the map does not show continuity of way despite there being a grey path there.

The feature that caught my eye  was the length of path at the top of the escarpment between Rhiw Goch and Cwmcelyn, before entering the forestry. Suggests a pleasant stretch of open views above the Lledr valley.
BWW

snakehips

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:03:39, 20/07/17 »
I just follow sarn Helen over into the valley cross over the bridge and follow the river down to the big railway bridge then cross back over the river then it's another good pull back up to Elsie it really is a cracking walk and I would gladly accompany you if you fancy it.  O0

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:14:04, 21/07/17 »
Thanks for that reply, I hope the OP is following this discussion, because I think if combined with a study of the map shown in the link to Street Map it is perhaps more informative than the types of guides I have read in Trail and their sister mag Country Walking.
I thank the OP for pointing out this area, with help of the internet I found the 'Ghost Village', some other features such as the monument will perhaps fall into place.

If I do do this in the near future I may well PM you but I fear with present commitments it will not be this year, and as each year advances my capabilities get less.

Do you live B-y-C, I met a fellow walker from Betwys, some years younger than I, some years ago walking his own interpretation of the Roof of Wales, he worked in an Outdoors shop there, and we spent a night in the Hostel at Trawsfynydd as my path crossed his, I was walking Shrewsbury to Barmouth.
BWW

snakehips

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:08:44, 21/07/17 »
No I live in Abergele but betws is my spiritual home  O0

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:44:44, 21/07/17 »
No I live in Abergele but betws is my spiritual home  O0

Ha Ha  ;)  my spirit-ual association started with the Waterloo Hotel, the Original one where a forest of wet clothing hanging on old Victorian coat racks was the first greeting en route to the bar.
BWW

Bucket

« Reply #11 on: 09:29:34, 23/07/17 »

Morning all

Thank you all so much for your advice, help and comments. We found our original route card cut from a magazine but it was Country Walking and not Trail as I had originally thought. I'm a Durr...

Tried to post the link to my Garmin to show the walk but sadly it doesn't work

« Last Edit: 09:35:09, 23/07/17 by Bucket »

Bucket

« Reply #12 on: 19:52:20, 28/07/17 »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy