Author Topic: Peak District - Any recomended places to stay, what to see?  (Read 2279 times)

nesty

I’m looking to take in the Peak District in Sept.  Looks a fairly large area. Just looking for walking really bit of fresh air & scenery.
I will have a campervan, so can get out and about on the road if need be,  though sometimes prefer a few days without driving! I stay in camping and caravan club sites and there is one at Bakewell & another one in Hayfield.  Though as traveling coming from the south these look like main contenders for staying.
Is there much difference in say north Peak district then South peak district?
Apologises, if that is a naïve question!

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
The Dark Peak, the more northern area of the Peak District, has high rugged peat moorlands, such as Kinder and Bleaklow, and gritstone escarpments, eg Stanage Edge.  The White Peak, the more southern area, has a rolling limestone plateau with many narrow craggy dales, some with a river, eg the dales of the Dove and the Wye.  The two landscapes are strongly contrasting.  So in choosing somewhere to stay, especially if you want to have some days without driving, it rather depends on which sort of walking you prefer.   

nesty

The Dark Peak, the more northern area of the Peak District, has high rugged peat moorlands, such as Kinder and Bleaklow, and gritstone escarpments, eg Stanage Edge.  The White Peak, the more southern area, has a rolling limestone plateau with many narrow craggy dales, some with a river, eg the dales of the Dove and the Wye.  The two landscapes are strongly contrasting.  So in choosing somewhere to stay, especially if you want to have some days without driving, it rather depends on which sort of walking you prefer.

Hi, thanks for this.
Ideally I am looking for terrain, which more mirrors the Lake District. I will probably do Lake district soon enough. Tho I want to put myself in similar terrain to & to test some of my equipment!
Though thinking of doing 2 weeks. 1st week staying in Crowden, then 2nd week in Bakewell!
« Last Edit: 13:59:28, 19/07/17 by nesty »

sunnydale

• Veteran Member

Ideally I am looking for terrain, which more mirrors the Lake District. I will probably do Lake district soon enough. Tho I want to put myself in similar terrain to & to test some of my equipment!

Hi nesty,

I'd suggest you head for Hayfield and 'do' Kinder Scout to start with.  It's one of the more demanding areas of the Peaks, in terms of getting up onto the plateau to begin with.
You could consider staying in Edale and ascending via one of the 'cloughs'. Grindsbrook or Crowden offer a bit of good, easy-ish fun scrambling and crossing the plateau (to Kinder Downfall) could be an option for testing your equipment, especially if conditions/weather aren't that good. Be sure to have a map/compass with you though and of course, the ability to use them (if necessary).
Ringing Roger could also be worth a go, either when ascending or descending.

I suppose the area around Howden Edge/Derwent Edge could just about mirror the Lakes...but only because of the reservoirs.  I wouldn't say the terrain along the edges is demanding or anything like what you'd find in the Lakes....but if you're wanting a good climb and to feel rock under your boots, then it might just fit the bill.

You'd probably enjoy climbing up Win Hill via Parkin Clough ( a steep rocky gorge in the hillside). The views from the top over the Ladybower Reservoir are fab  O0

Lots of options really!

Message me if you need any info/advice re any of the above.

Tracey :)

***Happiness is only a smile away***

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
I'd probably say that the Peak District and the Lake District are not particularly like each other, at least in a general scenic sense!  :D

If it were me, a berth near Bakewell makes the most sense, as you Dark Peak and White Peak almost equally handy, and you can see for yourself which appeals most and walk accordingly.  O0

nesty

Thanks for this. I have purchased the 2 main OS maps already.Any other recomended books or maps?
I know the Peak district won't actually replicate the lakes, as the lakes are the lakes after all! Just want some decent challenging walks to test myself and the equipment!Quite looking forward to it!

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Any other recomended books or maps?

I really don't think you'll need any other maps apart from the 2 main Peak District ones.
There are loads of books available (on Amazon) with a variety of walks in... but I devise my own routes by looking at the maps, once I've decided which area I want to explore.

:)

lostme1

• Veteran Member
There are some lovely walks direct from the Bakewell site, which isn't in Bakewell but about 5 miles to the south west. Don't know if it has the same couple as manager as a couple of years ago. If it does she makes lovely scones. I have walked from a holiday cottage in Youlgrave and stopped off at the site shop for a mug of tea and some scones to take back.

We used to caravan in the Peak District but my late partner would not take the caravan to the site due to the step road down from Youlgrave church. Others did but we didn't. We used the Caravan Club site in the old kitchen garden of Chatsworth House from which you could access chatsworth grounds via a gate in the wall from the site and do numerous walks from the site
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

nesty

Well Bakewell out of the window now, as just looked at the finer details of Camping and caravan club site and there are no toilet or showers.  I not dealing with that!  :(

Though the more I look at the Kinder Scout area the more I am liking that! I think I might settle on Hayfield.   
« Last Edit: 15:34:39, 22/07/17 by nesty »

lostme1

• Veteran Member
Well Bakewell out of the window now, as just looked at the finer details of Camping and caravan club site and there are no toilet or showers.  I not dealing with that!  :(

Though the more I look at the Kinder Scout area the more I am liking that! I think I might settle on Hayfield.

I can recommed the Chatsworth site which has full facilities with toilets, hot showers etc. and great walks direct from the site. Lasted visted 2012 but no longer have a caravan now. You may like to think about Ilam caravan site. Not stayed there but looked a nice site when we visited on a walk from Ilam. Details can be found here.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/ilam-park-dovedale-and-the-white-peak/features/stay-at-ilam-caravan-site

Also some of the Camping and Caravan Club certificated sites have facilities if you check the members handbook. The same apples to Caravan Club Certificated Locations available to members.

nesty

I may have to put my trip to the Peaks back, until 1st week in October.
Is the weather ok up there for that time generally? Ie no snow!

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
I may have to put my trip to the Peaks back, until 1st week in October.
Is the weather ok up there for that time generally? Ie no snow!

We're lucky if we get snow in January/February these days!! ::) ....so there's very little chance of seeing any in October!
I think you should come prepared for the usual sort of Autumn weather....rain, cold, wind, more rain...although, if you're very lucky, there might be an Indian Summer (wishful thinking) :D

lostme1

• Veteran Member

I think you should come prepared for the usual sort of Autumn weather....rain, cold, wind, more rain

I can remember that weather on a June holiday in the Peak district. In March of the same year we had sunshine all day getting sun burnt and sitting outside at 6.30 pm in shorts and tee shirts.

nesty

Thanks. Have waterproofs & boots etc.
Ok just wondered. a southern softie  :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy