Author Topic: Impassable overgrown footpath  (Read 2078 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Impassable overgrown footpath
« on: 11:52:52, 21/07/17 »
Yesterday, on an 8 miles circuit in Buckinghamshire that I followed from a Cicerone guide, the last footpath of my day was enclosed between a hedgerow on one side and the wire fence of a pasture on the other side. It was so overgrown on both sides that I was forcing my way between vegetation that was well over head height, and bashing down overhanging brambles and nettles with a walking pole as I went.

This gradually got worse and worse, until after I had gone a few hundred metres I reached a point where I could go no further, it was absolutely impenetrable. Not fancying the prospect of turning back and battling through the jungle all over again, I found a spot by the fence that was a bit less overgrown, where not without difficulty I managed to get over the barbed wire top without injury to self or trousers (I have very long legs) and into the adjoining field. Here I walked the rest of the way on short grass, and at the far end I let myself out of a five-bar gate that led onto a track.

In all my years of walking in the Chilterns I have never encountered anything like this, for the ways are usually well-maintained and get plenty of use too. I suppose the obvious thing to do is to bring it to the attention of the relevant council department (I have their details somewhere, having corresponded with them once before) but I can't help wondering if they will do no more than make sympathetic noises and plead lack of funds and manpower.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Impassable overgrown footpath
« Reply #1 on: 12:26:52, 21/07/17 »
Although I have sympathy for your predicament, who is going to keep these paths open. This is the time of year when undergrowth is most rampant, in the days when footpaths were used for folks' day to day travel, the odd farm worker may have traveled them with a brushing hook, but the walker with such an implement on a public right of way will be committing an offence, and risking several years in prison.

Strimmers might be the answer, but the outdoor industry is yet to invent a light portable strimmer for the replacement of the machete to aid passage in heavy undergrowth.

Course on of the current trends in 'landowner' protest to enhance their attitude towards leisure walking is the fencing in or is fencing out of the actual right of way from the land it is associated with. This will cut it off from the normal field maintainance which will control weeds and heavier undergrowth. If change of management on a landowners land makes the right of way impassable then I believe it should be the responsibility of the landowner to make it passable, because he is effectively obstructing the right of way.

If landowners were more pro access then then there might be a more willing understanding for the rest of the community to join Parish Partnerships and keep parts of the social infrastructure clear, that get clogged by seasonal growth. Visitors bring income to those parts of the rural community they are attracted to.

In the past this time of the year is the time I choose to head for the hills, as the seasonal weed growth dies back I tend to do my lowland exploring.

If I were really young, fit and public spirited I suppose might be walking the countryside with a knapsack sprayer and double sided spray bar soaking the verges with 2,4D and other choice exfoliants to do the jobs that many of the country dwellers did 60-70 years ago manually and quite willingly, in the little leisure time their working hours allowed.
« Last Edit: 12:30:32, 21/07/17 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:23:07, 21/07/17 »
I meant to say in my post that it appeared to be 2 or 3 years' growth, not just this year's.

Re. your comment about fencing in the RoW, the following is off topic but I want to get it off my chest:
Earlier in my walk yesterday I passed along a length of the Icknield Way on a road-width level track that contoured the scarp slope on the north edge of the Chiltern Hills. A green gradient thick with beech, sycamore and occasional gean (wild cherry) rose at 45 degrees (I am guessing) to quite a height on one side, while a similar slope dropped away on the other side. It was such a scenic spot that I would have liked to photograph it, but it was spoiled by new 1.5m-height fence posts and three strands of barbed wire all along both sides of the track.
What had the landowner to fear that he/they felt the need to enclose it like this, and at what must have been considerable expense? With those slopes it would be very unlikely that anyone would want to venture off the track.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:38:16, 21/07/17 »
It is really annoying being constrained like that. Two weeks ago we had a similar experience, pinned against an overhanging hedgerow by an electric fence, having to push through bogs, nettles and thistles. To add insult to injury the exit from the field was also blocked by the fence. Mrs N didn't fancy stepping over it  so I uprooted it and replaced it  from the other side.
Solvitur Ambulando

maxmarengo

« Reply #4 on: 12:54:38, 24/07/17 »
Hi Fernman,

I am a volunteer with the "Chiltern Society":
- It would be great if you could report your problem to Bucks Council.
- If you can let me have enough detail  of where you got in to difficulty to identify the path, I will follow up with our local rep and see what they know and can do.
We're in peak walking season so would be good to get the path usable!

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:11:53, 26/07/17 »
Thanks for your offer! I've sent you a PM with the details.

roughyed

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 02:34:52, 27/07/17 »
I would guess that with many council budget cuts, that path maintenance will be going more reactive rather than proactive.  Hence the need to report everything.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy